cannot delete items from Watchlist

techiegrl64

I get a HTTP error whenever I try to delete items from my watchlist. I can add items just fine, but deleting them results in an error no matter if I try deleting via GSAK, the watch list directly, or by selecting 'Remove from Watchlist' on the cache page. The same occurs if I delete my browser history, and I have tried this in Chrome as well as MSIE. This has been going on for months and my watchlist has far too many entries now. Is there a fix or workaround? Thanks!

Edited by techiegrl64

I just spoofed your log in and was able to remove an item from your list (an archived cache) with no issues. Is this happening with a particular listing?

No, it is happening on a regular basis with many caches. I notice that when the gc.com page comes up and asks me to confirm it takes a verrrry long time to load.

BTW, which entry did you delete from my watchlist?

Thanks,

Joan (Techiegrl64)

I'm sorry, I didn't make note of which specific cache I removed. It was the first archived cache in your listing. I figured that it was safe to do so given that the listing had been archived.

Are you attempting to remove caches from your watchlist via http://www.geocachin.../watchlist.aspx, or directly from the cache page?

Never mind, you answered that in your original post. Let me investigate some more.

Also, can you give some specifics as to the error (500 error, 404 error, etc.) you receive when this occurs?

Apologies, I should have included the error specifics.....it is "500 - Server Error".

You're welcome to test removals with any of the following caches on my watchlist:

#1-1970-I Think I Love You

#2-1970-War

#3-1970-The Tears of a Clown

#4-1970-Mama Told Me (Not To Come)

#5-1970-I Want You Back

#6-1970-Venus

#8-1970-Vehicle

#9-1970-Spirit In The Sky

I'm continuing to investigate, but have been unable to reproduce the error. I believe that this is somewhat of a timing issue - you need to have a massive watchlist and try removing an item at a time when the site or your Internet connection is slow.

To clarify, I have been attempting to remove only one item at a time. It was working last evening (although quite slowly) but this morning it is not (500-Server Error).

As already identified the size of the list is the problem. Up to about 3000 in the watchlist the problem occurs occasionaly after that the bigger the list the more the problem occurs. If you get close to the 5000 limit for the watchlist it occurs all the time unless you jag a quite time on the servers. This happened to me a little while ago when I just kept adding more than I deleted.

A workaround is to create some bookmarks and transfer what you want to them (I did that through the GSAK API) then set the notify option on the bookmarks so you keep getting the emails. Once you are sure you got all the ones you want to keep via the bookmarks delete the whole watchlist in one go via that option and then build it up again or just keep the booklists.

I've also been having issues deleting caches from my Watchlist. I keep getting the 500 Error when trying to delete using Internet Explorer. Just for the heck of it, I went on GC via Firefox to try to delete some caches from my Watchlist.

I checked a few boxes and clicked Delete Selected Caches and, it worked!!! I'm OK with the whatever works method.

But, I just wonder why IE won't let me delete caches???

P.S. I had 5000 on the Watchlist before Firefox helped me delete some.

Edited by GeoCharmer81