Help, How do I Copy and Paste Formatting into Description

colbinator

Help. I'm trying to place a new cache. I want to copy and paste a description from a word document that has formatting such as photos and box charts. I had it entered right the first time but had to make changes. Now I can't get it to format. I'm sure it has to do with HTML code, but I don't know how to get the correct code. Can someone explain to me how I can take a word document that looks just like I want in the cache description to copy and paste without losing format? THanks.

Help. I'm trying to place a new cache. I want to copy and paste a description from a word document that has formatting such as photos and box charts. I had it entered right the first time but had to make changes. Now I can't get it to format. I'm sure it has to do with HTML code, but I don't know how to get the correct code. Can someone explain to me how I can take a word document that looks just like I want in the cache description to copy and paste without losing format? THanks.

You need to learn HTML code. Anyone can learn it.... but its not something you can learn overnight. It's complex stuff for anyone just learning it. Be patient.....

Here's a website that might help you.

http://www.myhtmltutorials.com/

You can also find HTML editors online that can help you whip up a 'test' page so that you can view it before inputting in the cache page.

Photos need to be in a file format - usually jpeg. Those jpeg files need to be uploaded to a host to access via a link (or uploaded to geocaching.com - get the link).

Depending on which version of word you have, you should be able to save as a web page, Word will then make a web page automatically adding the HTML (plus lots of un-needed html). You can then open the .htm page with notepad and look for the html formatting. This is a far from perfect solution, but it might help put you on the right track.

FYI you cannot just copy and paste the word web page as you will duplicate the <head> section of the page, which will result in unpredictable results.

w3schools also do good html tutorials, I'd offer to help but you have made your caches premium only and I can't see it to look at the html.

Take your Word document and do a Save As. On the Save as type menu select Web Page, Filtered.

Don't select Web Page it can create problems for your formatting.

Then open that document with Notepad and then all you need to do is copy and paste and it will be formatted.

For photos and box charts make sure they are on an Internet accessible server such as photobucket, otherwise while you can see it no one else will be able to.

You may find some of the HTML code created by Word won't appear on the page as there is a limit on what is allowed. The Help Center has a section on the basics of HTML, what you can do and how to do it.

http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=79

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Take your Word document and do a Save As. On the Save as type menu select Web Page, Filtered.

Don't select Web Page it can create problems for your formatting.

Then open that document with Notepad and then all you need to do is copy and paste and it will be formatted.

For photos and box charts make sure they are on an Internet accessible server such as photobucket, otherwise while you can see it no one else will be able to.

Thanks. This worked great.!

Edited by colbinator

THanks again. As I told mimandpap, this worked. As for keeping my caches for members only, I have done that due to the problems I have seen/had with "public" caches. I figure if some one is going to pay for a membership, they are probably going to take more care to protect the cache. Thanks again for this suggestion.

Depending on which version of word you have, you should be able to save as a web page, Word will then make a web page automatically adding the HTML (plus lots of un-needed html). You can then open the .htm page with notepad and look for the html formatting. This is a far from perfect solution, but it might help put you on the right track.

FYI you cannot just copy and paste the word web page as you will duplicate the <head> section of the page, which will result in unpredictable results.

w3schools also do good html tutorials, I'd offer to help but you have made your caches premium only and I can't see it to look at the html.

Thanks. When I get more time, I'll have to review this and see if I can learn how to do it.

You may find some of the HTML code created by Word won't appear on the page as there is a limit on what is allowed. The Help Center has a section on the basics of HTML, what you can do and how to do it.

http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=79

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website