Category Proposal: Soroptimist International Markers

almas-garden-dedication-0011.jpg

WOW! I was shocked recently to discover that there is NO category for Soroptimist International Markers anywhere within Waymarking.com. This maternal organization enjoys much the same international reputation as other volunteer organizations such as Lions Clubs, Kiwanis and Rotary organizations that are currently categories within Waymarking.com in reaching out to certain sects of society and enhancing lives all over the world.

The Soroptimist website states its mission as:

An international volunteer organization working to improve the lives

of women and girls, in local communities and throughout the world.

I have started a group called Soroptimist International Markers and am inviting anyone who is interested in joining this group to help me manage this potential new category. I am specifically seeking female members since this is, after all, a maternal organization. Please click the below link to go to my group's profile page and join if you are so inclined: Soroptimist International Markers Group.

The idea behind this potential category came to me after seeing a Soroptimist memorial garden marker near my home and after doing some research came to the conclusion that no category exists, but SHOULD. If you have never heard about Soroptimist International (my ex wife was a member for many years, so have been very familiar with their mission), please click the following link to their Soroptimist International official website to learn more about what they do worldwide. This is an exciting opportunity for waymarkers to visit and log various markers, plaques, benches, fountains, what-have-you worldwide and submit them here.

I had not heard of this organization before and found they are really global and certainly do a lot of valuable work.

But from a waymarker's perspective this is not about the organization, it's about their markers. How many markers are there? Are they interesting enough and worth Waymarking or visiting?

I doubt it. My personal opinion is that we do not need yet another honorary or charity organization marker category. There are enough and I don't find them particularly interesting. I can easily live without them, but I would also not be bothered if it was approved. I am going to abstain as long as the technical quality of the proposal is fine.

My personal opinion is that we do not need yet another honorary or charity organization marker category. There are enough and I don't find them particularly interesting. I can easily live without them, but I would also not be bothered if it was approved. I am going to abstain as long as the technical quality of the proposal is fine.

fi67, I don't think you truly read the mission of the Soroptimist organization no did you pay attention to the picture I posted. As someone who has waymarked flags and plaques from the Rotary, Kiwanis and Lions Club organizations, as well as citizen dedications (which this category could cross-fit into), I strongly feel that Soroptimist International falls right into that category of volunteer organizations WORLDWIDE whose mission is to enhance people's lives and the communities they reside in. I don't know how you or ANYONE would NOT find markers such as these valuable assets to the communities and something to appreciate in a philanthropic way. I personally find these types of markers MUCH more interesting and enjoyable than Waymarking a McDonald's fast food restaurant or a Target store, IMHO.

I think I can convince enough folks, particularly female waymarkers, that this organization deserves its own category. The fact that this organization is worldwide only adds to its legitimacy.

~Peace

I am going to support this. To be frank, I don't find these markers overly interesting, but I am sure that others do, plus, there are a number of similar categories. I also like the point about the appeal to the female members of the Waymarking community. If you guys write up a category you will have one vote from me.

[...] I strongly feel that Soroptimist International falls right into that category of volunteer organizations WORLDWIDE whose mission is to enhance people's lives and the communities they reside in.

You are right, this is exactly the area, and other organizations in the same area have their category. But this does not mean that any new organization that pops up also deserves a category of their own.

I don't know how you or ANYONE would NOT find markers such as these valuable assets to the communities and something to appreciate in a philanthropic way.

I do appreciate these organizations and the things they do. I just do not feel like being overly excited for every marker that tells me someone spent money for a good cause. In the end it's always the same: parks, libraries, playgrounds etc. sponsored by someone. It's good they exist but there is no need to document it.

I personally find these types of markers MUCH more interesting and enjoyable than Waymarking a McDonald's fast food restaurant or a Target store, IMHO.

Here we totally agree. You tell me a rabbit jumps MUCH wider than a snail and I say, yes, but I prefer kangaroos.

I don't think that anything that is above the lowest existing category deserves to be approved. I prefer to support categories that are way above the average, because that is the only way to make Waymarking better. And I am totally aware of the fact that there are as many definitions of what is high, low, or average as there are waymarkers, and they all should have their place within the game.

I think I can convince enough folks, particularly female waymarkers, that this organization deserves its own category. The fact that this organization is worldwide only adds to its legitimacy.

I like your enthusiasm and wish you good luck.

The only issue I see is one of lack of prevalence. I stop to look at most every marker I see when I'm out Waymarking (which is most of the time), and I've maybe seen only one or two in all my travels. But I'm of the opinion that this should not be an obstacle to an otherwise worthy category. I would say to go forward with this one.

@silverquill, I actually have seen two soroptimist markers in my hometown in just the past month. This inspired me to find out more about the organization and discovered there is no category for them, so I created one. Since they do VERY positive work for young women and women in general in communities throughout the world, I would bet they exist much more than you think.

@Ianatlarge, I've also noticed many websites dedicated to Soroptimist activities in Australia. If this category gets approved, I welcome any and all markers you may find!

I'm posting the category writeup for Soroptimist International Markers in this forum shortly for all to comment/make suggestions and then will post for Peer Review. Crossing fingers!

Happy Waymarking,

Doug

thebeav69