The Great List of Open Source Cartridges

Ranger Fox

Open source cartridges are a great way for people to learn how to create their own Wherigo experiences. However, the site still lacks the ability to filter the cartridge list by this attribute. Therefore, I am creating an exhaustive list of all open source cartridges to date (as of November 15, 2012). If you come across a recent cartridge that is open source, or one that has become open source, please post a link to it in this topic. Be sure to thank those who have offered their cartridges as open source!

The cartridges are listed in the order of submission to Wherigo.com. It's possible to mark a cartridge as open source and yet not have the GWZ freely available to all (example). This list only includes cartridges that are freely available.

Edited by Ranger Fox
The list is now current as of November 15, 2012
  • Helpful 1

Great idea, BUT :

I think that most of the owners unfortunately have forgotten to include the urwigo source file into the GWZ package. In urwigo you only are able to import LUA files created with the original builder, otherwise "Error during cartridge import" occurs. In case the Wherigo is written with the original builder, of course it works.

Forget to ask : Do you make a query to get the wherigos which are open source ?

Edited by jonny65
Great idea, BUT :

I think that most of the owners unfortunately have forgotten to include the urwigo source file into the GWZ package. In urwigo you only are able to import LUA files created with the original builder, otherwise "Error during cartridge import" occurs. In case the Wherigo is written with the original builder, of course it works.

Forget to ask : Do you make a query to get the wherigos which are open source ?

Unfortunately, I was not able to create a query to get all that data. I went through every cartridge listing to get this far. It looks like I'll have to go back and cull the list for Urwigo-created cartridges that don't include the .urwigo file (I think I'll gray out the ones created with Urwigo). I'm assuming that's the actual cartridge Urwigo works with to create the lua version of the cartridge. It would be wonderful if Urwigo included that file in the GWZ it creates.

From creating Wherigo\\kit, I can attest to how difficult it is to make a cartridge file that is compatible with the other Wherigo Builders. It's also much easier to store cartridge data in your own application's format instead of parsing through a lua cartridge every time you start working on it. For kit, I have my own class structure I serialize to the database when I want to store it and deserialize when it's time to work with it again.

At the end of December, if I have met my quota of finding 10K caches this calendar year, I'll use the entire holiday to do some development work. This was what produced Wherigo\\kit. Instead of adding additional kits to Wherigo\\kit, I'm wondering if creating an alternate Wherigo listing service would be more interesting to play around with. (You did not just hear that... But the community now has a Wherigo compiler, so the last frontier is the site.)

Some filemanagers recognize that this is a zipfile and opens it with a doubleclick. You also can rename the gwz into zip and open the archive with an unzipper.

Edit : I think nearly every GWZ are containing urwigo created lua files, but its not possible to import them. Maybe in a few GWZ files are lua files from the GC builder, these are working.

Edited by jonny65

How to get source code of any of the above cartridges? When going for "Download" from the cartridge page it downloads only the compiled GWC file.

I think you're going to the blue "Download" button, right? At the bottom of that same column is a link that says "Download Source". Click that. You'll then see a button that says "Download Source File". Click that and your browser will begin downloading the source code. This will download a GWZ (Groundspeak Wherigo Zip) file to your computer.

Go to wherever you or your browser saved the file. The file won't be recognized by your computer, so you may see the file extension. If not, you'll have to enable viewing file extensions on your computer. Change the file extension to ZIP and you can uncompress the zip archive. From there, you'll be able to see everything.

Now, the caveat to everything is Urwigo. It's a nice program (the best all-around third-party Wherigo Builder), but does not usually include its .urwigo file when creating a GWZ (at least, the last time I checked). So Urwigo-created cartridges might not be the easiest thing to look at. There isn't a way to tell just from the cartridge listing.

I must be a little thick here. I have downloaded Perkasie in Plane ((as an example) eventually managed to work out how to change the file name to zip. Its opened all the files, and theres a lua file in there. How do I see the cartridge in Earwigo? Ive opened the lua file in Earwigo and its basically empty.

I have created my own Caistor Walkabout in Earwigo, using Ranger Fox's kit to start me off. The Wherigo is live now and receiving good reports, but I wanted to see one working where there are interactions with characters, and items since I just dont know where to start.

I had hoped that one of the open source files, would have some sort of cartridge that I could learn from . any ideas please.

I must be a little thick here. I have downloaded Perkasie in Plane ((as an example) eventually managed to work out how to change the file name to zip. Its opened all the files, and theres a lua file in there. How do I see the cartridge in Earwigo? Ive opened the lua file in Earwigo and its basically empty.

I have created my own Caistor Walkabout in Earwigo, using Ranger Fox's kit to start me off. The Wherigo is live now and receiving good reports, but I wanted to see one working where there are interactions with characters, and items since I just dont know where to start.

I had hoped that one of the open source files, would have some sort of cartridge that I could learn from . any ideas please.

From the Earwigo Manage Cartridge change the Operations combobox to Import GWZ or Lua file and then click submit. It may take Earwigo a couple of minutes to upload and set up the cartridge. After the upload has occured you will see the cartridge available in the Select Cartridge list. Click on cartridge and select Edit in the Operation combobox, then click on Submit button. This will take you to the Earwigo editor.

I noticed a couple of mine up there, and have one more to add: Campbell's Conundrum Collection (Doylestown)

I have done all mine in Urwigo (or redone them in Urwigo :)) but I wasn't aware that you can include the .urwigo file in the GWZ when you upload it and have it be available when someone downloads the source. Can someone confirm that this is the case? If so I will go back and add the Urwigo source files to all of my cartridges. Thanks again Ranger Fox to your many contributions to Wherigo!

Open source is a great idea, sadly not being able to open the majority of them in an editor is a pain. I'm using Urwigo and the GS.com builder, but am getting the system application error trying to load open source .lua files in both. Is there any way around this at all?

One way is to get the Urwigo source files and open them directly. I realize that only works if you already have the .urwigo file, but if you can get it, it works pretty well. I am happy to distribute all of my Urwigo files.

George/ggggeo2

Ok so I am trying to get the source code for Simon says to work in urwigo, it is not play anywhere But I get a error when I try to open it. I have tried everything I even installed a .lua editor and found it was compiled in urwigo but I cant figure out whats wrong with it. Urwigo wont open it Wherigo builder wont open it any Ideas?

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=7c110aae-fdec-4d31-9a38-320d4f60e774

Disappointed to discover that these do not open properly. So close to finishing our first cartridge but unable to work out how to write the code to tell the cartridge to issue a unique code if the correct number of zones have been found/completed. Have spent hours watching videos and reading comments, but nothing. Had hoped that these open source options would show us how its done, but all the ones we have downloaded have failed to work in Builder.

Some of the open source cartridges were built with Earwigo, the earliest non-Groundspeak builder application, and Urwigo.  There's no guarantee a cartridge from one builder can be opened in another.  On top of that, Urwigo does not include its own .urwigo file within the cartridge's zip file; you can't open Urwigo-created cartridges in Urwigo without that.  And the icing on the cake is when someone adds text obfuscation to a cartridge.

That said, all unzipped GWZ cartridges' lua files can be opened in a text editor.  You can at least learn from that.

All my cartridges are open source.  The more recent the cartridge, the more organized the source code.  I haven't created anything recently because I've been helping others and I can't think of anything in particular I'd want to create.  Anyway, you can import any of my cartridges into a builder, but the most interesting parts are the author script, which is best viewed in a text editor.  I don't use text obfuscation, so they should be easy to read.

You also have another resource open to you: these forums.  Several of us here are quite good at creating cartridges.  Don't feel alone: post something.  Ask questions.  Show some code and get comments.  Challenge us.  Excite us.  Please ask for help or feedback any time.  It's a wonderful community.  Never be afraid to post in the Wherigo forum.

So, the first thing I'd suggest is posting a new topic and explaining what you'd like to do in detail.  What output are you looking for?  What conditions must be met?  What is your cartridge like?  How do you want the people playing your cartridge to use this output?  Would you like examples to be in a specific builder?  Would you prefer to avoid author script or would you like a solution using that?  The more specific you are, the better answer we can provide.