Time Signals — new category for review.

I have submitted "Time Signals" for category peer review. This category deals with the first time keeping devices that provided an accurate and reliable time signal service for maritime navigators, and to the general public. These are principally, Time Balls, and also Time Cannons and Time Flaps.

I wish to make a case for approving this category.

"Time Signals" encompasses an important part of our history, a history that spanned the entire globe and stretched over a century in length. These timing devices made the seafaring world of the 19th century possible. More than that, even though they are now obsolete, these devices ushered in the modern era of time keeping. An era that has continued and improved for the past two centuries and is with us today in the form of GPS satellites. In this manner, we can consider the first time ball of 1829 the first step on the road to Waymarking.

For these reasons, the time ball is an important and unique device that deserves to be remembered. Most now survive as tourist attractions, some are still in operation for that purpose. We have identified over 250 of these devices, on every continent and in many lands, and there are most likely a goodly number more still unidentified.

The category is managed by a team of experienced officers, and, while we don't expect this to be a prolific category, over the coming years we do expect to accrue a growing number of interesting and worthwhile waymarks.

Ianatlarge

I am still new, and wonder where to participate in the peer review process?

When you sign in to Waymarking.com, on the right side will be a link to "Peer Review"

They don't make it easy for those of us in bifocals! HA! :D

I found the link and put in my 2 cents -- a bargain at half the price! ha ha ha

Reminds me of "find a benchmark" on the bottom of the Groundspeak page. :sad:

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz