Sudoku cube as part of multicahe=evil?

GCjeger

Is a sudoku cube as part of a multicache of highest level of difficult cache, evil or not? I have idea of implementing a stage in my multichache that involves solving a sudoku cube, to get the cordinates to the next location.

But I am nut shure if this will be to difficult for a geocache, or if it would be acceptable.

Please comment.

Well, I have solved a sudoku puzzle on site before, but that was only because I was doing a puzzle and the owner changed the coordinates a bit and updated the sudoku without updating the cache page via a note or maintenance log or something and only noticed the difference when I read the cache page after not finding the cache. So, I did it on site.

Well, there are puzzles where folks have to go to GZ and get the puzzle information. They can choose to either do it on site or go home to do it. Your sudoku would be the same.

It would be acceptable. I am not saying it would be extremely well liked, but it would be acceptable.

At first I thought you said a rubix cube on site. I would surely fail on that kind of puzzle. Course, I have no idea how such a puzzle could be implemented either. Have done put the balls into holes kind of puzzles at GZ before and those were fun.

Edited by lamoracke

I hadn't heard of sudoku cubes before, but they look like a variation on a Rubik's cube. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the solutions involved disassembling the cube and reassembling it in a solved state. (Or possibly, reassembling it in an unsolvable state.)

But it doesn't seem any more "evil" than any other field puzzle.

Well, I have solved a sudoku puzzle on site before, but that was only because I was doing a puzzle and the owner changed the coordinates a bit and updated the sudoku without updating the cache page via a note or maintenance log or something and only noticed the difference when I read the cache page after not finding the cache. So, I did it on site.

Well, there are puzzles where folks have to go to GZ and get the puzzle information. They can choose to either do it on site or go home to do it. Your sudoku would be the same.

It would be acceptable. I am not saying it would be extremely well liked, but it would be acceptable.

At first I thought you said a rubix cube on site. I would surely fail on that kind of puzzle. Course, I have no idea how such a puzzle could be implemented either. Have done put the balls into holes kind of puzzles at GZ before and those were fun.

This is actually a cube a lot like rubiks, check this link. http://www.hypemaniac.com/2008/10/08/sudoku-cube-sudokube/

If the cache were properly listed with the 'Field Puzzle' attribute, and the nature of the puzzle was properly described in the write-up, I would not be bothered by this.

I would also not bother to try to find it, and would ignore it immediately.

If the nature of the puzzle were not described in the write-up and I came upon a 'sudoku cube' at one of the stages without warning, some 'owner maintenance' would soon be required. :anibad:

Curious how that would be a puzzle though. A cube like that would only be needed to be done if it opens up getting the final answer. How would something like that be a required step I do not understand.

So, that sudoku puzzle is basically a rubix in disguise? Thats scary, and I have no idea how you would make it a required step, but its fair if its a field puzzle attribute.

How hard is it to solve? If it's really really hard, maybe tell people ahead of time so they can come with printed instructions.

As long as you rate it appropriately and warn people ahead of time it should be fine. Just don't surprise them after a 3 mile hike.

And, yeah, expect it to get broken. There's a puzzle like that here which has gotten broken many times. The owner keeps having to replace it. Of course, this one's a park and grab. Maybe put yours further in to the bush.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

To me it depends on how difficult it is to do. That is your call and is subjective.. but if it would take on average many hours to solve then I think most would give up.

I did find one cache which had a field puzzle using a rubik's cube. But you didn't have to fully solve the cube... I can't remember exactly how it worked but he stuck numbers on some of the squares, and you make a specific pattern to find out the correct numbers to get to the next stage. It was a good puzzle; took some thought but I did it in 10-15 minutes.

To me it depends on how difficult it is to do. That is your call and is subjective.. but if it would take on average many hours to solve then I think most would give up.

I did find one cache which had a field puzzle using a rubik's cube. But you didn't have to fully solve the cube... I can't remember exactly how it worked but he stuck numbers on some of the squares, and you make a specific pattern to find out the correct numbers to get to the next stage. It was a good puzzle; took some thought but I did it in 10-15 minutes.

That´s a bit overcomplicated. There´s a rubik´s cube as part of a multi around here. The owner did it in a rather silly way. I turned the cube about 3 times, then just looked at the number placement, and it was solved without solving the cube. That was a pleasant shortcut.

I´m not sure if I´m allowed to actually explain how that one worked, though.

Edited by schattentanz

Curious how that would be a puzzle though. A cube like that would only be needed to be done if it opens up getting the final answer. How would something like that be a required step I do not understand.

Perhaps when numbers line up a certain way, they are used to create coordinates for the next stage. The field puzzles around here require standing in mud, being bit by mosquitoes, in the hot humid day -- when I was kinda intending to get in & get out. That could make a cache memorable, maybe good memories, maybe not. :anicute:

If it involves many hours of working a puzzle at a stage, that's important to know in advance. I'd guess if it's very cool and creative and worthwhile, I might try it. On second thought, if it's a sudoku Rubiks' Cube, maybe I'd decide at the time how much I'm enjoying working the thing. It depends on the hike and the drive time, whether I'd even attempt that.

Edited by kunarion

That´s a bit overcomplicated. There´s a rubik´s cube as part of a multi around here. The owner did it in a rather silly way. I turned the cube about 3 times, then just looked at the number placement, and it was solved without solving the cube. That was a pleasant shortcut.

I´m not sure if I´m allowed to actually explain how that one worked, though.

The one I did was a bit like that.. but I think it was the intent of the owner. To solve it you either needed to solve the rubik's cube, or figure out the pattern to get the numbers without solving it. And I don't think he expected anyone to solve the cube in total. Still it took me a while to find the short cut.

But I am nut shure if this will be to difficult for a geocache, or if it would be acceptable.

That's acceptable. You'd specify difficulty on the cache page. You're allowed to simply mention there's a tough field puzzle, and make it a "surprise". That's what makes it "evil". :anicute:

Most cachers won't hike into the wilds and then on-the-fly solve an unexpected Sudoku Rubik's Cube to find the cache. This could be a very "quiet" kind of cache -- not much traffic. Probably much angst on the cache logs and in PMs to you :shocked:, but not visited often (unless there are a surplus of expert puzzlers in your town). So it needs to be set up to last. You don't want the Final gone when a cacher one day solves it. But if you set it up to be intriguing, and intending on one or two finds in the years it's out there, that's OK.

In my case, a friend is bound to mention "Sudoku Rubik's Cube", so I'd know what to expect even if you didn't say so on the cache page. Now I'm back to the point where I'm thinking, "do I even bother?". Or some caching friend mentions solving that stage, and asks if I'd go along for the ride to the Final.

... or maybe this isn't such a big deal after all... I'm no good at sudoku, yet can solve even a tough one in seconds (go figure), so I may choose to take a few pictures, go solve the cube and come back later. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion