dumb 110/220 voltage question...

phlatlander

We recently spent 2 weeks in Europe. Our trip began in Budapest and ended in Prague. My Canon camera and Garmin 550 both use NiMh AA cells my Sony P&S has a proprietary battery. I carried spare batteries for each. Both the Sony & Garmin came with their own 110/220 chargers. I found however, at least while on the riverboat, that the batteries did not fully charge.

So my dumb question is: as Europe is 220v, does this affect the charger, meaning does the different amperage cause the 110/220 chargers to shut off early, or is there some other cause or explanation?

Edited by phlatlander

We recently spent 2 weeks in Europe. Our trip began in Budapest and ended in Prague. My Canon camera and Garmin 550 both use NiMh AA cells my Sony P&S has a proprietary battery. I carried spare batteries for each. Both the Sony & Garmin came with their own 110/220 chargers. I found however, at least while on the riverboat, that the batteries did not fully charge.

How long have you had these batteries? After a while, rechargeable batteries lose their ability to hold a charge.

If you have inexpensive chargers that only use induction to change the voltage the true RMS voltage will be lower because the frequency of the source is lower. It won't be much but in a cheaper charger it could make a difference.

Sorry RMS voltage is 70.7% of the peak voltage of a sine wave and has nothing to do with frequency

Inductive reactance is directly proportional to frequency,but impedance will determine current flow in an A.C. circuit :blink:

Edited by Forkeye