Hiding where I have been

Per Delta68's post, the only thing that this site tracks that others can see is finds, attended, accepted/completed (challenges) webcam photo taken...stuff that increments finds count.

You can post notes, and be essentially invisible on the site. Or post nothing, just find 'em and move on.

Near me is a cacher who has been caching since at least 2002. They're just about invisible on this site, as they don't log anything to cache pages.

I'd guess they only created an account when they were forced to sometime in 2003 (you used to be able to see cache pages without having an account.)

I see their sig on many of the hiking caches I find. They've found many of mine, but don't even post notes to them.

Obviously you don't have to say, but as you've asked this in an open forum perhaps it would be useful for you to give examples of what problems it can cause if people can see the caches you've logged. I can't really think of a reason that you'd want to hide this information, but that's not to say that there isn't a good reason for the secrecy.

Personally, I think that it's a nuisance that only finds are viewable. It would be handy to see peoples' DNFs and notes as well. Quite often you see a log mentioning problems at other caches they attempted that day, but there's no easy way to see which ones they meant. It's also interesting to see which caches someone you know has been to, whereas it's not particularly useful to just see the ones they actually found. I guess that the design dates from the times where a DNF was rare, as you'd only be seeking a couple of easy-to-find caches in a day.

I'd have thought that it would be up to the user what level of logging is publicly viewable; the default being as it is now, but with the ability to make logging private if you so choose (perhaps even private to the extent that even cache owners only see that their cache has been found on that date; no text or name visible). But clearly it's all anonymous really, hence the use of a user name rather than a real name.

Hi Humphrey

A very good reason to be able to hide where you have been is if you use pathatags. So you visit caches and leave the pathtags in them. Now if someone (like me) who collects pathatgs knows someone leaves them regularly in caches, well I can just watch where a certain user has been and follow them around hoovering up the tags. Which is great for me as I get loads of tags. But maybe not so good for the person leaving them. They may want various people to find them. Rather than the same people rushing out to caches they have been to, and robbing the tags out if it.

I mean I have done just that. Usually it's been to caches I have not yet been to. But I have been out to a previously visited cache to grab the pathatgs that someone has said they have left in their log lol. And I've had mine picked up that way many times.

As for seeing various DNF's in a certain area you can create a notification to tell you exactly that. Or just finds. Or just mystery caches. Then you get an email each time someone posts on that page.

On the subject of the post -

Change username and tell no one

Log a few weeks later. If you use field notes it will insert it in the right date weeks after your visit.

Ensure if you take a photo with a smart phone you turn off geotagging else the photos location will be encoded in the photo.

Never dip TB's as this will allow estimated locations based on mileage.

Hope that helps.

when i first started caching i used to look up cachers and see where they had cached,then copy down the caches and go there to walk a circuit etc, i found it so usefull and i still do to see where folk have been. its just that the world has gone identification mad,i think every thing in life should be open to all and no secrets, (:(:(:(: jeff=bones1.

A very good reason to be able to hide where you have been is if you use pathatags.

I think I follow what you mean, but it sounds like only a very few people would be bothered by this. Surely it's debatable; assuming that pathtags are supposed to be moved on quickly, surely knowing where they are likely to be is not a real handicap for them.

Perhaps Gackt is closer to the reason for the question! Without knowing the real reason it's a bit difficult to suggest a strategy for the OP.

I guess one potential concern is if you're normally finding caches in one area but then start finding caches in another area, it's pretty clear you're away from home.

If you've shifted from caching in Essex to caching in Wales it's conceivable you might just be there for a few days but if you're suddenly caching in California the chances are you'll be gone at least a week or two.

That said even if I'm out caching abroad, and even if it's known I'm going to be there for a while, that in itself doesn't tell anybody where I live or whether anybody else is home while I'm away. Even if someone could pin down a precise street address for me they don't know whether my being away means the house is empty, whether I've got house sitters in, or whether my pitbulls are just getting progressively hungrier.

@humphrey - lol no you don't move them on. It's a gift to the next finder. Hence they collect them. Build up a collection and can if they get doubles swap them. But shhhhhh we are not permitted to speak of such things .......

castagnari has sent you a new personal conversation entitled "re your forum post".

castagnari said:

======================================================================

Hello,

I'm a moderator for the Groundspeak Forums. I'm writing to let you know that discussing Pathtags is not allowed on Groundspeaks forums.

Please feel free to discuss this competing product in that website's forums, and use Groundspeaks forums to discuss geocoins and other Groundspeak trackables.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with this request.

castagnari

Volunteer UK Forum Moderator - geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources site http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Quite how they are a competitor is one of those mysteries known only to those in the secret knee rubbers, boob squezzing, thumb fiddling, apron club that meet on a Friday under the cloak of secrecy. Without caching there would be no place to secret your unmentionables in for the next finders. There would be no little map you could look at and see who had picked it up for their collection. But as I say shhhhhhhh I've said too much already. Is that a knock at the door???

I feel sorry for castagnari, who's clearly been told that he can either follow official policy or resign, and seems to have drawn the short straw in having to have a word.

But censoring a mention of this "competing product" is a joke, when it's only mentioned in passing like this. Fair enough if there's a whole thread started to advertise these things (even though I'm not sure what they compete with if they aren't trackable travellers), but that's not how it is.

Edited by Happy Humphrey
But censoring a mention of this "competing product" is a joke, when it's only mentioned in passing like this.

The post wasn't censored in any way. and the email to the poster was just a word of advice re any future posts

OK, I should have worded it slightly differently. I think you're saying that this one will be let go, but any future mentions of the unmentionable collectables will be stamped on (presumably by censoring them). There's not much point in saying that something "is not allowed" here and then not enforcing the ban, so clearly something will happen if such things are mentioned again.

As it's cropped up I'll give you the opportunity of advertising Groundspeak's equivalent if you want to: what are the competing Groundspeak collectables called? :anibad:

Naughty Humphrey lol, you know very well what the equivalent is. Why its these of course - _41331850_tuftybadge.jpg

EDIT:

oh :unsure:

castagnari said:

Hello,

I'm a moderator for the Groundspeak Forums. I'm writing to let you know that discussing Tufty Badges is not allowed on Groundspeaks forums.

Please feel free to discuss this competing product in that website's forums, and use Groundspeaks forums to discuss geocoins and other Groundspeak trackables.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation with this request.

castagnari

Volunteer UK Forum Moderator - geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources site http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Of course I jest - but seriously what is the equivilant that is non trackable and that Groundspeak use? I wanna play

Edited by Seaglass Pirates