Need Android app for offline navigation and geocaching

Henrikvd

Hi

I've been trying to find this the whole day without any good result. I hope someone can help me.

I want:

• An Android app for my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
  • this app to be able to navigate (typically while driving) offline. Offline because I want to use it in every abroad ( for this trip I will go to Brazil, Chile, Falkland Island)
  • this app to be able to load open source maps that I find on the internet(typically *.img and *.osm)
  • this app to be able to load *.GPX files (typically) pocket queries.

I someone has any tips for me, I would be reallyu really happy!

Henrik

There are quite a variety of maps you can create with MOBAC - I created Rmaps SQLite and they worked Ok with Locus.

From the Play store page - Offline maps (Support for formats SQLite, TAR maps, MBT maps, GEMF, RMAP, Orux, SmartMaps)

I am just not too sure about the offline navigation with this app or the maps.

Hmm, it seems like the blocking is dependent on which map source you are using.

I was blocked when using OpenStreetMap Mapnik, but didn't get blocked when I chose OpenStreetMap MapQuest.

...or wait a minute. I was blocked there as well. I just didn't see it in the beginning.

Edited by Henrikvd

As far as I know, there is no good .img viewer for Android. C:geo can download all caches around a waypoint for offline use, regardless of if you are a premium member of GC.com or not, but I don't know if it takes actual gpx pocket queries. For offline street/terrain navigation with OSM check out Osmand.

Edited by tr_s

I think that the issue you encountered with your download was perhaps selecting too many tiles and their server blocked you.

I have just created a map of approximately 20 x 30Km using OpenStreetMap Mapnik as the source and it worked Ok. Took 50 min though ....

Many of the caching apps support offline maps and offline caches, but I do not know which offer offline navigation.

Neongeo has an offline mode. There are a number of ways to get caches into Neongeo, including panning around the map while online (which will automatically d/l cahes), via gpx, or (my favorite) by sending caches via a GSAK macro that creates a Neongeo native sqlite db. As for maps, NG has built into a map wizard that will download (when you have a network or data signal) maps covering all of the caches you have loaded (you can chose from various map servers, including osm, google, google hybrid, google sat, topo, among others). This all works quite nicely.