Messages from other members not coming through

bladesedge

Hi,

In the past week I've had a couple of email messages sent via my gc.com profile 'Send Message' link go missing. I passed off the first one as being me accidentally deleting an email before reading it, but its happened again.

The first one was from a reviewer in answer to a question. He said he'd sent it almost a week ago. The second was last night, someone logged a find on my Earthcache, saying they hoped their map and answers were correct, implying they'd sent it through. I've just sent them a message saying I hadn't received it.

Is this something that anyone else is experiencing?

Yes, but rarely. And I haven't seen it happen in over a year -- although it may be hard to tell that someone sent a PM when it doesn't arrive. I've shown the effect live, while it was occurring, in these Forums -- PMs being lost in one direction, when the email accounts are working fine. If you think there's an active issue, I'll try it again. I've sent you a PM. If you did not get a PM message, post here, because something's broken again.

Your email account may have issues. It may be an over-aggressive Spam filter (whitelist/blacklist) at your Internet provider, killing your email before you ever see it. PMs from Groundspeak have pretty much the same email title that looks robotic, so a Spam filter may see a pattern and delete them. If that's the problem, it will go away at some point. Someone at the ISP is adjusting the filters (write to your ISP and tell them to quit that :anicute:).

Your email account's filter settings may have changed, something you may adjust online in your account (high/medium/low Spam Filter settings).

Your email program may delete email automatically so you never see it. If you don't have any “message rules” running, that's probably not it. Also look at the list of blocked domains, if there's a list in your email program.

If you checked all this, send yourself an email from the email program you normally use, and see if the mail arrives there. If so, your account isn't completely broken, and so can test other things.

After checking everything else, write a “Note Log” on one of your caches or Trackables, and see if you get it. If not, post that info in a reply here. Also send me a PM and mention sending it, in your Forum reply. Because if I can't get PMs from you, that's looking like things are broken again.

However, it's temporary. Once you go through all of your settings, run tests, verify problems, etc., and your email is proven fine, and let's say you confirm a Groundspeak server issue, it will probably clear up in a few days.

Edited by kunarion

OK thanks,

I got your message by the way.

I worked out that the second message was actually emailed to me, but I had the wrong email address in my cache description....lol... the joys of setting up a new gmail address!

So maybe I didn't have an issue afterall....

When this happens, send yourself an email, and if that works, send yourself a PM. That can help you figure out what's going on.

It gets tough since a non-delivered PM evaporates. The sender never knows you didn't receive it.