Back dating a log

jmoore623

I just logged a DNF on a cache where the last log was a "found"; when I read the description the geocacher wrote that they had found the cache over a year prior and was just getting to logging the find. That is fine, but I wish they would back date to around the same time last year or when-ever they think it was they really found the cache. Does this bother anyone else?

I just logged a DNF on a cache where the last log was a "found"; when I read the description the geocacher wrote that they had found the cache over a year prior and was just getting to logging the find. That is fine, but I wish they would back date to around the same time last year or when-ever they think it was they really found the cache. Does this bother anyone else?

Not good. This can lead to a lot of confusion.

For those that also look at their stats, remember to log your caches from a particular day in the proper order. I've had to go in and re log many caches to correct for traveled distance in a day. Luckily we discovered this Before doing the ET Highway this year. I remember our stats showed something like 1500 Miles over 15 caches... basically showed us going back and forth across three different states.

The Steaks

A local cacher logs his son's finds and is usually several months behind. He had several of the logs deleted by the CO becuase they weren't current. He even explained that the logs were for his 8-year-old son and the CO was still a tin man about it.

If he's going to log them, even for an 8 year old, then he should log the correct date! Deleting the logs was a bit heavy handed, but the dad could have re-logged with the correct date. Would have been easier to do that than explain to the CO about his 8 year old! Just 4 or 5 mouse clicks to edit the log date!

I agree with the OP. As much as possible, caches should be dated correctly.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I keep a 3x5 file card in my caching bag, and write each cache and the date I find it. Even if I go back a week later and log from multiple trips, I always enter the correct date. I pay attention because I'm working on filling in the caching calendar. A curious note, when I go to my statistics, the caches within a particular day are not listed in the order I entered them. To that I say meh

I keep a 3x5 file card in my caching bag, and write each cache and the date I find it. Even if I go back a week later and log from multiple trips, I always enter the correct date. I pay attention because I'm working on filling in the caching calendar. A curious note, when I go to my statistics, the caches within a particular day are not listed in the order I entered them. To that I say meh

With my Colorado and GSAK I never have to bother. It does all that for me.

A local cacher logs his son's finds and is usually several months behind. He had several of the logs deleted by the CO becuase they weren't current. He even explained that the logs were for his 8-year-old son and the CO was still a tin man about it.

If he's going to log them, even for an 8 year old, then he should log the correct date! Deleting the logs was a bit heavy handed, but the dad could have re-logged with the correct date. Would have been easier to do that than explain to the CO about his 8 year old! Just 4 or 5 mouse clicks to edit the log date!

I don't think you understand my post where I wrote that the CO deleted the logs because the weren't current...he did log them with the correct date and that's what the CO didn't like about it.

Doesn't your GPS keep track of that in its calendar? My 60CSx does. As soon as I mark a cache as Found, it goes into my calendar. That doesn't prevent me from using wrong date on the logging page, of course, but at least I don't have to keep track on an index card.

I don't think you understand my post where I wrote that the CO deleted the logs because the weren't current...he did log them with the correct date and that's what the CO didn't like about it.

If he was to appeal to the Lilly Pad his logs should be restored.

I prefer when a cacher uses the right date as then I can confirm the paper to the online logs.

Nope .. I missed that! It's so far out of the realm of normalcy that it just slipped past! Why on earth would someone delete valid logs just because they were logged late?!

I wonder if some cachers keep found caches "in reserve" to keep a streak alive for when they are unable to get out for a find on a particular day.

I can't imagine anyone doing anything of the sort. Why, it'd almost be like logging an event that was streamed on the internet from your house, or armchair logging a cache in another state, and claiming those as part of a streak. What a dirtbag thing to do.

As long as the date was correctly logged and the 8 yr old signed the logsheet, the CO has no business deleting the online logs, IMO. Deleting logs simply because they weren't posted in a timely fashion just doesn't seem right. If it were my log, I'd appeal to Groundspeak. I wonder who they would side with.

While I have to wonder why the Dad couldn't bother to log his son's finds while he was logging his own, I surely can't imagine why the CO felt he needed to be such a butt-head. :mad:

I've been seeing a lot of that lately. I've even seen one that said they were caching with their buddy. When I looked at their buddies name, they had never logged in the area.

One cacher logged they were at my cache a year ago, the day after I replaced the cache recently.

Then of course I got one saying they forgot their pen and will sign it when to go to it again. Again?

While I have to wonder why the Dad couldn't bother to log his son's finds while he was logging his own, I surely can't imagine why the CO felt he needed to be such a butt-head. :mad:

We often see the situation where a child accompanies the parent who caches. The child enjoys spending time with the parent but does not have a caching name and does not sign the log. Later on the child wants to have a caching name and the parent then logs the finds in the past. The log book is not signed but when it happens on my caches, I dont worry about it because I think it is a good thing that they have a hobby that they can share.

It is similar to cases where a caching couple split up, and they each relog the cache finds with a different name than the one they signed in the log book.

Edited by Ma & Pa

We often see the situation where a child accompanies the parent who caches. The child enjoys spending time with the parent but does not have a caching name and does not sign the log. Later on the child wants to have a caching name and the parent then logs the finds in the past. The log book is not signed but when it happens on my caches, I dont worry about it because I think it is a good thing that they have a hobby that they can share.

It is similar to cases where a caching couple split up, and they each relog the cache finds with a different name than the one they signed in the log book.

I understand those kinds. Cause I too will see a cache I've been to and forgot to log. Especially when I sometimes cache with the #1 blitzer of all time. I will go back and notice I forgot to log but at least I log it on the same day as the others and not a year later. If I did it alone and can't remember I will try my best to find the day at that location on GSAK.