How many of our TB's are missing?

3Woofs

This is just a general question. I think I have lost about 25% of the TB's I have put out. We put 3 racers out for an event in Nashua on Interantional Geocaching Day. One did not even make it out of the event cache. One when to Las Vegas and got lost and the third is still traveling. I enjoy both disconvering and moving TB's and will still do so. Just wondering about what the rest of us are losing? I admit I always cringe when they say that mine is the first one they have even logged.

Of those I've sent out into the wild, I've got about 73% missing, but mine are all geocoins (which are prone to go missing) and were mostly activated in 2009, so I'm actually pleased that a few are still alive. I have a few more coins that I haven't quite been able to bring myself to send out to their inevitable deaths just yet. :)

The only time it really bugs me is when I lose the coin out of the first cache I put it into. Hasn't happened too often, fortunately.

I have 12 out since 2011, 1 is still MIA and 2 recently replaced by proxies so they can continue on.

My partner has almost 150 out since 2010, about 5% are MIA and we have replaced about 10 with proxies. She seldom puts out any of the actual 'coins' anymore and sticks primarily to travel bugs, proxies and copy tags which are becoming popular.

Sad that the increaase in MIA trackables results in fewer and fewer original coins and tags in circulation.

We'll keep putting them out .... at least the travel bugs and travel tags. Coins ... not so much.

I have 15 I put out in Aug/Sept. So far three are missing. All were registered but missing out of the first cache they were placed in. They have zero miles. I have asked those cachers who visited the cache location if they saw them and they replied NO travel bugs present. Must have been mugglers or a cacher that just kept them and never logged them.

I also have 3 travel bugs picked up and logged by fellow cachers who have sat on them. I attempted to contact those people and got one of the three moving again. The other two cachers never replied back.

I been a geocacher since 2003 but recently started placing travel bugs for my Grandson. However, the ones that are missing are the cutesy types he wanted and if I buy more they will be generic and maybe even just use the number for another item instead.

Just wondering about what the rest of us are losing?

Mine once moved rather well, even turning up again within a year or so of inactivity. But this past few months has taken a huge toll on my Trackables. I'm not sure how to total these, so I'll throw out the numbers, which you may crunch as desired.

Here's my list:

I have 33 total activated, 9 are in my personal collection (never released). A bunch more aren't activated. I don't release any that I don't want to lose, which of course would make my losses higher.

24 were placed into caches, 7 of those which were comfirmed lost have been revived after no logs for one year (I keep my revived ones).

17 Trackables currently in the wild (not including those previously lost 7).

13 of the 17 are either missing from their caches, grabbed by newbies who then ceased caching, or listed in possession of active cachers for an extended time with no news.

Out of 24, a grand total of 4 are traveling just fine (but 2 of those are new, in their first cache). Counting just the ones that are really unlikely to turn up again (although who knows), 8 of the 24 are in play, 67% lost.

Counting 20 dead Trackables (since 4 of the original 24 are in play), I'm at 84% lost.

I can at any time decide any and all are lost, and revive them. I'll make new Trackables, much fancier than the originals were. But I'll likely never release any of those.

Edited by kunarion

I have six active trackables.

Three of those I carry with me (two geocoins and the car TB).

Of the remaining three, two were recently placed in caches, although one may get marooned over the winter if it isn't moved soon (I may go retrieve it myself since it's still local).

The remaining trackable has been in the hands of a new cacher in Ohio since late August (along with three other TBs).

The cacher hasn't logged any finds since the beginning of September.

I have contacted them to move my TB, to no avail - I'm expecting this one may end up MIA.

Ive not lost any yet. I only have 4 but they are all going places and 3 have made it out of england. My mums not been so lucky as basically all of hers have disappeared now.

I'd prefer people just leeft them in the cache instead of take them and either forget to log them and loose them, or log them ages down the line.

I did managed to find a TB that haddnt been logged for over a year, so i managed to start him on his travels again, the owner was very grateful :)

Lessee. I have 46 registered Trackables. Dating back about 6 years.

25 have been moved to 'unknown'

6 I have not released

6 listed as in someone's possession for a long time: 1 from 2006, 1 from 2008, 1 from 2009, 1 from 2010, 2 from 2011. (I do not expect to see any of them move again.)

9 I consider to be active

Not a good ratio, which is why I have not bothered to release any more.

This is just a general question. I think I have lost about 25% of the TB's I have put out. We put 3 racers out for an event in Nashua on Interantional Geocaching Day. One did not even make it out of the event cache. One when to Las Vegas and got lost and the third is still traveling. I enjoy both disconvering and moving TB's and will still do so. Just wondering about what the rest of us are losing? I admit I always cringe when they say that mine is the first one they have even logged.

100% of mine are gone. I waffled about getting any TBs or coins out in the wild, but gave it a try. I was prepped to send a bunch out, but as soon as I noticed my 2 coins went missing...I canned the plans. I don't know if I'll bother sending any out again. Seems like such a waste of time and blood pressure medications. <_<

Please explain how you come up with a twenty five percent loss rate on the TBs you released, 3Woofs. I interpret something very different from your trackable profile.

Lefty was last logged Nov. 14, 2012

Marvin was last logged on Oct. 27, 2012

Cachin' Cab is in your hands

Eagle Eye Sneaker was last logged on March 10, 2012

GC Bean was last logged on Oct. 21, 2012

Globby was last logged on Oct. 27, 2012

Little Penguin was last logged on Nov. 12, 2012

Mom's Sneaker was last logged on Oct. 8, 2012

Worldly was last logged on Oct. 10, 2012

I have 5 that I have reliesed into the wild.

One was just released on Halloween, so can't really be used for statistics

2 are still going.

1 I have replaced with a proxy twice, most recently on Halloween, so only the first 2 can be used for statisitcs.

1 I have replaced with a proxy once.

So I would say 50% missing, either (2 of 4) or (3 of 6).

I have 54 TB's. One is my car..so let's consider that 53. One is a coin that stays with me so let's go 52.

Of those 52 I have marked 12 as missing. About 6 of those were recently stolen from a cache I owned GC2DH8R that had the padlocks cut to make entry. If it wasn't for those last stolen ones my percentage would be pretty good. As it is I am happy with what I have. I attach all my TB's with cable and ferrule and I think that helps a lot.

Panicky Smurf

166c44c3-0614-43e9-8500-70d23595b3c7.jpg

I have 7 that I've activated since 2011. 2 of them are car magnets, one of which *IS* missing (because my husband took it off to wash the van, and put it somewhere, and he forgot where...never found it again. Weird, right?). Another has not yet been released, and another is a trackable nametag I use for events. The other 3 were all released within the last 6months, one went missing from the initial cache release, yet to be seen. The other 2 I placed into a hotel a few weeks back, and sat there, they just got picked up yesterday.

Well I currently have 18, but 2 of those are getting adopted to my brother.

Of those 16, 3 of them don't leave my inventory (it would be weird to leave myself or the other half in a cache).

So I have 13 out in the world. 8 of them aren't really accounted for right now. Which means I haven't heard from/about them in around 6 months. Granted that means 5 of them are accounted for.

Meh, they've done some traveling. The free ones I'm surprised made it anywhere. That Geico bug I expected to make one or two hops and vanish? It's made it +5,000 miles making it one of my better traveled ones.

As of the end of this year I will have over 200 travel bugs in circulation for at least two years, and some for nearly three years. I track and keep records on all of them. As of 31 December I will determine the number of drops made, and how many are missing, in the hands of a cacher, in a cache, at an event or retired. Relative to this topic, it looks like 40-50% have gone missing in the time since release. If there is a means to post graphs and tables on the forum, I would be pleased to do so when the review is finished.

I sent my first TB on it's way about a month ago. It didn't even make it out of the first cache. Since it was my first TB I was watching the site to see if anyone moved the TB but there was no log indicating it was moved. I made a trip to the site to see if it was still there. The TB was gone. I was so disappointed. I live in Canada so I had to order it and it came to about 10.00 with tax and delivery. Money wasted. Won't be doing that again anytime soon. :angry:

Edited by three-amigoz

I sent my first TB on it's way about a month ago. It didn't even make it out of the first cache. Since it was my first TB I was watching the site to see if anyone moved the TB but there was no log indicating it was moved. I made a trip to the site to see if it was still there. The TB was gone. I was so disappointed. I live in Canada so I had to order it and it came to about 10.00 with tax and delivery. Money wasted. Won't be doing that again anytime soon. :angry:

Humm, he's very cute which may have added to his demise.

Hold out hope that he may show up again, it does happen.

If you're certain he isn't in the cache, you can mark him missing so he doesn't stay in the cache's inventory.

Disappointing.

Have you contacted the cacher who found the cache immediately after you dropped Smokey off? It seems they left a TB so maybe they also took Smokey and have just forgotten to log it out of the cache. It's too soon to give up hope!

MrsB :)

Please explain how you come up with a twenty five percent loss rate on the TBs you released, 3Woofs. I interpret something very different from your trackable profile.

Lefty was last logged Nov. 14, 2012

Marvin was last logged on Oct. 27, 2012

Cachin' Cab is in your hands

Eagle Eye Sneaker was last logged on March 10, 2012

GC Bean was last logged on Oct. 21, 2012

Globby was last logged on Oct. 27, 2012

Little Penguin was last logged on Nov. 12, 2012

Mom's Sneaker was last logged on Oct. 8, 2012

Worldly was last logged on Oct. 10, 2012

Sorry but I just noticed this reply. I said about 25%. But it is 13 traveling TB's and 4 missing--so it more like 32.5 percent. With TB's here today and gone tommorrow who knows some may show back up at some future date. Sorry but Public Profile does not have all the details the Cachin Cab is a vehicle and I will be in real trouble with I lose that one. Also Little Penguin long gone but resurrected with Proxy tag. This is more of a general discussion anyway.

We have sent out 2 TB's out into the world and both have gone missing! We also have 1 Geocoin which has quite a few km's on it but now I'm very worried that it will go missing. I would really like to get my hands on it again, then just keep it safe with me.

Your Newfoundland geocoin has done amazingly well - I can understand you may feel its luck is due to run out! :)

Maybe wait until it's retrieved again (hopefully) then email the cacher and ask them if they would kindly mail it back to you (offering to pay postage/packing etc obviously).

MrsB

Its been a disappointing summer for me in terms of my TBs. Seems like the last couple months a few have up and left. :(

Counting the one on my car I have 17. Out of that, 5 I have marked MIA, 3 are suspected to be MIA, and 2 more are in the hands of cachers that haven't logged anything in the last 6-12 months.

I have ten out, of those two (that I know of) are missing.

What I don't understand is why people pick them up and then don't follow the instructions. Do they think they are souvineers or something?

Mine are all the "Cachekinz" type, which could attribute to their "missing" status. They are all cute. I think if I do it again I am going to get the dogtag-type and attach it to some sort of little car. Perhaps then it won't be nicked so easily.

I've noticed that some of you have mentioned putting out "duplicates" or "proxies"...how is this done? Does it only apply to the dogtag-type TB's?

People are stealing them! I hardly ever find a trackable where it says it is. I have a couple that have gone missing. I have placed a few that I did find never to see them again. People need to understand these were bought by the owners and meant to travel, and not sit in someone's trophy shelf.

People are stealing them! I hardly ever find a trackable where it says it is. I have a couple that have gone missing. I have placed a few that I did find never to see them again. People need to understand these were bought by the owners and meant to travel, and not sit in someone's trophy shelf.

I had asked Groundspeak if they could put a more definite statement on the tags to let people the difference between a TB and just plane old swag in a cache. I suspect a large percentage of new cachers really don't know what a TB is and just take them as swag. Then again some are just stolen by knowledgeable cachers.

Not sure how most of you seem so even-tempered about this. We have only put out one geocoin - a British Bobby one in memory of my dad who had not long died & to celebrate some milestone (300 caches or something). Sarge was quite happily making his way around until he got picked up by cachers in March. They have held onto him ever since, just showing him as "visiting" caches since then.

I have twice emailed them, politely, asking for them to drop him off so he could continue to be moved around as normal. Needless to say they haven't bothered replying or dropping him off - thanks "searching squirrels".

If I were to mark him as missing would this prevent them posting any more logs? I don't see why they should carry on rubbing my nose in it. They obviously will never put him back in the community & it is getting really annoying :(

Not sure how most of you seem so even-tempered about this. We have only put out one geocoin - a British Bobby one in memory of my dad who had not long died & to celebrate some milestone (300 caches or something). Sarge was quite happily making his way around until he got picked up by cachers in March. They have held onto him ever since, just showing him as "visiting" caches since then.

I have twice emailed them, politely, asking for them to drop him off so he could continue to be moved around as normal. Needless to say they haven't bothered replying or dropping him off - thanks "searching squirrels".

If I were to mark him as missing would this prevent them posting any more logs? I don't see why they should carry on rubbing my nose in it. They obviously will never put him back in the community & it is getting really annoying :(

While this may in fact be annoying your TB is still active rather than stolen. Do not list him as missing. I placed a TB in Ca. and watched it visit all the way to Alberta Canada before being placed. I have also held TB for some time holding them until I was away from the cache I grabbed it from.

The bigger problem that Geospeak needs to address is to put some level of information on the Tags themselves telling the finder to keep it moving. This fact it not self evident to beginners and would be a gentle reminder to those who might just be keeping them for their personnel collection.

These cachers are not beginners & on checking their profile they seem to like holding on to trackables for 6 months or so. Remember - this is in the UK, not that far to move items around. So unlike yours, mine is moving around in circles.

I really object to my attempt to contact them being ignored, as was my request (as the owner) for him to be placed in a cache.

I started 12 in 2009. Of those only 2 are still traveling. If I have learned anything it is to not send out geocoins, they will get taken quickly, and don't attach travel bugs to anything cute. If I send out any more travel bugs they will just be attached to a short length of wooden dowel with the origin written on it. If you attach it to anything cute it will get taken.

I'm done and out of the travel bug business. I was sending them out with my nephews, as we live 2500 miles away from each other, and only see each other once a year. I would always take them geocaching, and we'd release a bug. of the 6 we released, 4 are missing, 1 (with a directive to go to OKC in 1 year before the election) has moved under 300 miles in 2 years, and the last one we released is still alive, but it's only been 2 months. The boys are frustrated, between travelbugs vanishing or spending months on end in some lazy person's backpack, and finding caches filled with rubber bands and bandaids, they didn't even want to go caching this year. My dog and my car are the only trackables with a good record.

out of 7, 5 went missing. one made it to its goal and one took a trip around the US and came back home via a friend that knew somebody that knew somebody near the cache etc. and got it back to me. his plan is just to visit events. with tags as expensive as they are, i am not likely to release another bug just do it can go missing. those tags have to be dirt cheap to produce so the price seems a bit outrageous. in the beginning it was fun, not so much now with money getting tighter.

lara

Yeah I just released the last two tags I have been holding onto into my TB Hostel. Sadly I think between them costing 5 dollars a piece and the fact that they will most likely end up MIA for whatever reason is not worth it anymore. :(

Mine didn't even make it out of the first cache. It was my very first (and probably last) TB. I'm from Canada so I had to order it from the states. With shipping it ended up costing me 10.00

Yeah I just released the last two tags I have been holding onto into my TB Hostel. Sadly I think between them costing 5 dollars a piece and the fact that they will most likely end up MIA for whatever reason is not worth it anymore. :(

Mine didn't even make it out of the first cache. It was my very first (and probably last) TB. I'm from Canada so I had to order it from the states. With shipping it ended up costing me 10.00

Yeah I didn't add shipping into that cost but yeah I understand! I had two of my TB's disappear just like yours. I released them into a new cache I placed and few days later I got a message saying the TB's were not in the cache. They were never heard from again :( I even contacted the 4 or 5 people that had visited the cache prior to them with no luck. :(