FTF

finz2lr

...if I had more opportunities than many others in the area to go out and find a cache at a moments notice and found myself getting most of the FTF opportunities, I would probably take a little longer to put on my shoes, or even put off looking for a new cache until the weekend. I wouldn't do that because I was expected to give others a chance at FTF, but because it would be a nice thing to do for other cachers.

You sound like a really nice guy. I took a minute to reflect on this myself. I'm not sure what I would do if I was getting most of the FTFs. I don't think this would ever happen in our town. I only go for caches that are within a couple kms of my house because I know if it's too far away, someone else is bound to get there first. You can only drive so fast. If I was getting most of the FTFs here, that would be because nobody else was going for them....If nobody else was going for them, getting FTF wouldn't mean much and I probably would go out less.

I've been caching for 5 and half years, have somewhere between 15-20 FTFs, and have never met another geocacher before or just after I found the cache.

I have 20 FTFs, and 5 times I've met other cachers when going for them. Well 4 of the times were where I got an FTF; the 5th time I was second.

Edited by redsox_mark

I am new to caching. I am curious about new cache watchers. Recently about 20 new caches were posted in my area. Almost every single FTF was taken by one single person. How do other cachers feel about this? Should they share the wealth? Is it just the nature of the adventure? I just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks.

No offense, it wasn't 20 caches and it was 2 cachers on most of them. You are in a FTF hound area. You have at least 5 FTF hounds there. Minus me because I moved out of there or I would have been one the ones you are talking about. Its the early bird gets the worm. But don't worry, most of them are really cool and will co/FTF if you get there and start searching when they found them.

They are

Lindyfind

KCSearcher

TeamWalri

Moe311

and Snowake.

I am having an event on the 25th in Walnut Creek, come by and meet some of them. Some may take you out caching sometime.

Add note: Don't bully a FTF, don't claim one to yourself if others are there, remember it's only a game and if you want geofriends then be generous and share because they would with you.

Yes they will try to be first there but as soon as someone else shows up it becomes teamwork and not a competition.

Edited by jellis

I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but when the FTF topic came up, this person always mentioned that and FTF and 50 cents buys a soda from the local vending machine. I'm an FTF hound but I alwasys enjoyed the meh reference.

It was StarBrand who would say that and everytime one of these topics come up it's the first thing that comes to mind. :laughing: I believe it was the machine off Main street. :laughing:

Thank you.

I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but when the FTF topic came up, this person always mentioned that and FTF and 50 cents buys a soda from the local vending machine. I'm an FTF hound but I alwasys enjoyed the meh reference.

It was StarBrand who would say that and everytime one of these topics come up it's the first thing that comes to mind. :laughing: I believe it was the machine off Main street. :laughing:

Thank you.

That would mean an FTF is worth something because a soda in a vending machine is usually $1.00 so that means an FTF is worth $.50, far mor than a 2TF.

That would mean an FTF is worth something because a soda in a vending machine is usually $1.00 so that means an FTF is worth $.50, far mor than a 2TF.
The vending machine in question charges only $0.50 for a soda. Determining the monetary value of an FTF is left as an exercise for the reader.

I have not gotten an FTF yet I don't necesarily like it when people do what you mentioned either. I recomend checking posts daily because every time I don't check a new cache is listed. I have come close before and it is frustrating. There is a famous guy in my area that gets lots of FTFs but does however wait to get second half the time to let somebody else get FTF. (try just asking the person to "back off"-for the lack of a better term-that might work. Good luck in the future!

I never found a good reason to announce in my online log that got a first to find. I know I got it. And that's enough for me.

I don't get a lot of FTFs (20 of my ~2800 finds), but when I do I start the log with FTF so I have a record of it. At the time yes I know I got it, but later I will forget.

That's one of the purposes of logs; to record information. I like going back and looking at old logs. Given it happens so rarely, for me it would be odd not to include the FTF information in the log.

I agree. Since FTFs are not added in our stats, I first start with the time and if I'm FTF, log the new FTF count as a record - for me.

I have not gotten an FTF yet I don't necesarily like it when people do what you mentioned either. I recomend checking posts daily because every time I don't check a new cache is listed. I have come close before and it is frustrating. There is a famous guy in my area that gets lots of FTFs but does however wait to get second half the time to let somebody else get FTF. (try just asking the person to "back off"-for the lack of a better term-that might work. Good luck in the future!

I got a FTF on a hide yesterday. It sat two days without a find. Most my FTFs have been like that lately.

- But if anyone ever asked me to "back off" I'd become a FTF monster.

I never found a good reason to announce in my online log that got a first to find. I know I got it. And that's enough for me.

I don't get a lot of FTFs (20 of my ~2800 finds), but when I do I start the log with FTF so I have a record of it. At the time yes I know I got it, but later I will forget.

That's one of the purposes of logs; to record information. I like going back and looking at old logs. Given it happens so rarely, for me it would be odd not to include the FTF information in the log.

I agree. Since FTFs are not added in our stats, I first start with the time and if I'm FTF, log the new FTF count as a record - for me.

Unless the fact that I'm FTF somehow was important to the story I'm telling in the log I don't put FTF on the log. I do however keep track of it in GSAK for my records.

I enjoy the challenge of getting the FTF...

I only think it would be unfair to other cachers IF the new caches werent published to everyone at the same time...

I wouldnt mind seeing FTF Milestones as part of the statistics but thats just me...

There has been many times when myself and several other cachers have descended on a cache at the same time to me thats part of the fun..

If i went to a cache to grab the FTF and another cacher showed up with child i would graciously continue "searching" just to see the childs face light up when THEY grabbed the FTF....

Whether i am the FTF or the last to find it all fun...

When i do make the grab i put a time when the find was made...cause to me that adds to it...wondering if i passed the next cacher going to or from the cache

I am new to caching. I am curious about new cache watchers. Recently about 20 new caches were posted in my area. Almost every single FTF was taken by one single person. How do other cachers feel about this? Should they share the wealth? Is it just the nature of the adventure? I just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks.

I have one, and really, the response to it turned me off even trying to get any more. Happened to be waiting for one of my kids to school and when I searched the area this new one popped up nearby so we headed over and got it. We were both thrilled. The next few logs were all people complaining and whining how the notifications weren't working and it wasn't fair... blah, blah, blah. Not worth the geo-politics IMO so I just ignore them.

Patti

I have one, and really, the response to it turned me off even trying to get any more. Happened to be waiting for one of my kids to school and when I searched the area this new one popped up nearby so we headed over and got it. We were both thrilled. The next few logs were all people complaining and whining how the notifications weren't working and it wasn't fair... blah, blah, blah. Not worth the geo-politics IMO so I just ignore them.

Could they have been trying to be funny? In my area, logs like that would be humor. But even if they're serious, who cares why they failed? It shouldn't make you any less proud of getting the FTF.

to be able to get the feeling of winning,

you first need to define the game you play.

if you want to compeete with others,

you need to play the same game, same rules.

---

if finding a cache no mater how fast and no mater in what order

compared to others finding it, makes you happy, then fine,

YOU ALWAYS WIN..

---

if finding a cache before others find it -

defines your find as a win, ok fine too..

just expect other people also try to do this before you,

so you need to work harder to win,

dont feel too sad or broken down if you loose,

it is just a little extra side game, not the main game :-)

No offense, it wasn't 20 caches and it was 2 cachers on most of them. You are in a FTF hound area. You have at least 5 FTF hounds there. Minus me because I moved out of there or I would have been one the ones you are talking about. Its the early bird gets the worm. But don't worry, most of them are really cool and will co/FTF if you get there and start searching when they found them.

They are

Lindyfind

KCSearcher

TeamWalri

Moe311

and Snowake.

I am having an event on the 25th in Walnut Creek, come by and meet some of them. Some may take you out caching sometime.

Add note: Don't bully a FTF, don't claim one to yourself if others are there, remember it's only a game and if you want geofriends then be generous and share because they would with you.

Yes they will try to be first there but as soon as someone else shows up it becomes teamwork and not a competition.

Two things OOps there are 40 now and not all FTFs by the same cacher. I read most of the logs and the FTF was joined by another cacher on some. Then when the spurts of the others got out they sat by their computers (or phones) like vultures and waited.

Oh and dkata is another FTF hound but not as much as above listed.

Is the OP still reading these posts anymore?

Well in some cases Life gets in the way of a FTF.

I was finding some that were half a day to a whole 24hrs old because the locals were not PM and so they weren't getting notifications of published caches.

Edited by jellis

Patti

I had remarks on some years ago. Before going to work I noticed two FTFs not far out of the way. I grabbed them (this is before I got a smartphone)and went to work. I am not suppose to use my phone or computer for personal use at work. So when I got home and logged the FTFs, I saw the messages from the later cachers and they were MEAN. Because I didn't log the finds in a timely manner. If FTFs aren't so important then why be so nasty in the logs. Besides what I read in the logs sounded like the STF were not far behind me and they would have seen I was FTF and should have noted that in their logs instead of jumping all over me. Well I learned now just to even write a short message like "FTF more to come" is best unless you are out of cell range.

Patti

I had remarks on some years ago. Before going to work I noticed two FTFs not far out of the way. I grabbed them (this is before I got a smartphone)and went to work. I am not suppose to use my phone or computer for personal use at work. So when I got home and logged the FTFs, I saw the messages from the later cachers and they were MEAN. Because I didn't log the finds in a timely manner. If FTFs aren't so important then why be so nasty in the logs. Besides what I read in the logs sounded like the STF were not far behind me and they would have seen I was FTF and should have noted that in their logs instead of jumping all over me. Well I learned now just to even write a short message like "FTF more to come" is best unless you are out of cell range.

I log when I get the opportunity. Plain and simple. I log all my finds in order and if I'm behind on my logging, I'll drop a find log that I can later delete, but still, it will be done when I get the opportunity. If that's after I get off of work, or the next day, the rest will just have to deal with it. This isn't the problem that it used to be because the STF will usually have a smartphone and log that he missed the FTF.

Before going to work I noticed two FTFs not far out of the way. I grabbed them (this is before I got a smartphone)and went to work. I am not suppose to use my phone or computer for personal use at work. So when I got home and logged the FTFs, I saw the messages from the later cachers and they were MEAN. Because I didn't log the finds in a timely manner.

Being mean is ipso facto proof that someone is taking something too seriously. I'd certainly be negative about anyone that seriously disses an FTF for a late log. But whenever I see something like that, I always assume it's not as serious as it sounds, either because they're trying to be funny or they're doing a little light hearted grousing. Whether that's true or not, it's hard to worry about someone that apparently would be upset if someone took 10 minutes to file an FTF report, if it were the wrong 10 minutes.

I was just reading in another thread someone complaining because people filed STF reports without waiting for the FTF to log their find, so there are definitely two sides to this coin.

Here in SF's east bay, FTFers are casual, and I suspect this is a general trend these days. A few years ago, new caches were less frequent, but nowadays, several come out every day. I think this has devalued the FTF currency, to the benefit of all.

Well I learned now just to even write a short message like "FTF more to come" is best unless you are out of cell range.

I appreciate people going to such effort because I know there are people that care, although it doesn't matter to me because I always assume someone's already been there before I get started. The only thing I don't like is people filing an FTF note, and then leaving it there cluttering up the log after they file their real Found log.

Before going to work I noticed two FTFs not far out of the way. I grabbed them (this is before I got a smartphone)and went to work. I am not suppose to use my phone or computer for personal use at work. So when I got home and logged the FTFs, I saw the messages from the later cachers and they were MEAN. Because I didn't log the finds in a timely manner.

Being mean is ipso facto proof that someone is taking something too seriously. I'd certainly be negative about anyone that seriously disses an FTF for a late log. But whenever I see something like that, I always assume it's not as serious as it sounds, either because they're trying to be funny or they're doing a little light hearted grousing. Whether that's true or not, it's hard to worry about someone that apparently would be upset if someone took 10 minutes to file an FTF report, if it were the wrong 10 minutes.

I was just reading in another thread someone complaining because people filed STF reports without waiting for the FTF to log their find, so there are definitely two sides to this coin.

Here in SF's east bay, FTFers are casual, and I suspect this is a general trend these days. A few years ago, new caches were less frequent, but nowadays, several come out every day. I think this has devalued the FTF currency, to the benefit of all.

Well I learned now just to even write a short message like "FTF more to come" is best unless you are out of cell range.

I appreciate people going to such effort because I know there are people that care, although it doesn't matter to me because I always assume someone's already been there before I get started. The only thing I don't like is people filing an FTF note, and then leaving it there cluttering up the log after they file their real Found log.

Yes I've seen those. I log as found with the message and then when I get home I replace the short message with a full without having to add another log.

The only thing I don't like is people filing an FTF note, and then leaving it there cluttering up the log after they file their real Found log.

Yes I've seen those. I log as found with the message and then when I get home I replace the short message with a full without having to add another log.

I log an FTF only as soon as I have time to do a full log, but for people that do a quick FTF log from the field for the benefit of those that need it and then follow up with a full log later, your way is the way I prefer they do it. Alas, it gives the log that stupid "edited" message, but functionally I think it's the right way to accomplish the goal.

And for the record, as far as I'm concerned, you can FTF caches around here whenever you want and wait as long as you want to file the log. Although, of course, now that we've had this conversation, I'd almost certainly raz you about it if I found that cache later in the day...

You could always post a quick "Found it, story to follow" find, post a detailed find report later, then delete your initial one. That avoids the stupid "edited" note that Groundspeak refuses to put in a smaller font.

Exactly! I post all of my found logs in order. If I'm going to post a quick log simply for everyone elses benefit, I'm going to replace it later with my real log. Also, as an owner of many caches, I depend on email notifications to see what people are logging on my caches. When you later edit a log, I do not get any notice. (This is a long running feature request)

You could always post a quick "Found it, story to follow" find, post a detailed find report later, then delete your initial one. That avoids the stupid "edited" note that Groundspeak refuses to put in a smaller font.

Yeah, that would work, but I assume people that do it the other way want to retain the FTF log's position below any subsequent log entries entered after the temporary FTF log was filed yet before the complete FTF log could be posted. What I can't figure out is why people that just post FTF notes don't delete them after they've filed their FTF Found log.

Can you claim a FTF if you only sign the log and don't go to geocaching.com and log your find? The reason I ask is today I saw a cache that on line had never been logged. It had been out about two weeks. I went out to find it thinking I could get a FTF, but there were two logs in the book and they never logged on line. So I get a FTL...... :lol: First to LOG.

Can you claim a FTF if you only sign the log and don't go to geocaching.com and log your find? The reason I ask is today I saw a cache that on line had never been logged. It had been out about two weeks. I went out to find it thinking I could get a FTF, but there were two logs in the book and they never logged on line. So I get a FTL...... :lol: First to LOG.

Well, I guess that blows my theory that frenzied cache activity dies off once the FTF has been logged.

We've seen that and most times it's cachers who were with the CO trying to claim FTF. Or they just don't care about logging.

When we are with a CO when the cache is placed we sign either near the bottom of the page or on the backside. It's no fun to log FTF when you were there when it was placed and not fair for those that are really trying to find it. Kinda like how I feel about COs logging a find on their own cache.

Edited by jellis