FTF

finz2lr

I am new to caching. I am curious about new cache watchers. Recently about 20 new caches were posted in my area. Almost every single FTF was taken by one single person. How do other cachers feel about this? Should they share the wealth? Is it just the nature of the adventure? I just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks.

Well I guess who cares it is.

Well I care but the 'who gets there first' is nothing but angst. Do what I do and stay away from the practice

You get involved and either you get upset with someone or they get upset with you.

Then there's the whole stress of maybe not being there first.

That alone is not happy caching.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

I just wanted to hear some opinions.

This was discussed to death a few months back. Most people seemed to fall under one of two mindsets:

1. "If you want more FTFs, try harder."

2. "Who cares?"

.... and I'm both.

I like going after the FTF because it's a fun little game with my friends. Some of my best cache adventures were on FTFs with my friends.

On the other hand if don't get the FTF I still get the find.

I would have to say it's not the FTF itself I'm after but the fun of the hunt.

If the guy was first, then he was first. Good for him. He is probably pumped to have gotten so many FTF in one day. Looks like his hard work paid off. If you want some the next time new ones show up, up your game!

What's the point of winning if your competition lets you win?

+1

Edited by Andronicus

I am new to caching. I am curious about new cache watchers. Recently about 20 new caches were posted in my area. Almost every single FTF was taken by one single person. How do other cachers feel about this? Should they share the wealth? Is it just the nature of the adventure? I just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks.

If this person you've mentioned sits back and lets others get there 1st, it's not really much of an accomplishment, then is it?

FTF is a competition. Presumably this person can't be everywhere all the time and cannot travel at warp speed. If others are ready and prepared to rush out at a minute's notice, they will be able to get their FTFs too.

If this person you've mentioned sits back and lets others get there 1st, it's not really much of an accomplishment, then is it?

FTF is a competition. Presumably this person can't be everywhere all the time and cannot travel at warp speed. If others are ready and prepared to rush out at a minute's notice, they will be able to get their FTFs too.

Agree with the first bolded part completely. :)

For a series of 20 caches placed at once,, the second bolded part can come into play. Say you get out there quick and find that someone has just signed the log. There's a good chance that you can go to the other end of the series and grab a ftf or two from there. It's kinda cool when you meet the other cachers in the middle. This has happened to us a time or two!

As far as someone getting all of them,, think about it. Doesn't it sound logical that a person would go for em all if they were already out to the area? I mean, most cachers would not want to find one or two, then have to waste time and money coming back to get the rest at later times if they didn't have to.

They certainly shouldn't have to worry about spreading the wealth. <_< Sometimes a person needs to put in some effort to get the things they want. Getting a ftf is no different...

Why would anyone other than "this person" have to know that the person took a break after finding the first few caches. Oh that's right, it's not enough for the first person to get FTF on every cache. They have to make sure that everyone else knows that they were FTF on every cache. After all, what's the point of getting FTF if you can't rub the noses of other geocachers (you know, those people that place caches for you to find) in the fact that you were FTF?

For a series of 20 caches placed at once,, the second bolded part can come into play. Say you get out there quick and find that someone has just signed the log. There's a good chance that you can go to the other end of the series and grab a ftf or two from there. It's kinda cool when you meet the other cachers in the middle. This has happened to us a time or two!

I've been caching for 5 and half years, have somewhere between 15-20 FTFs, and have never met another geocacher before or just after I found the cache.

As far as someone getting all of them,, think about it. Doesn't it sound logical that a person would go for em all if they were already out to the area? I mean, most cachers would not want to find one or two, then have to waste time and money coming back to get the rest at later times if they didn't have to.

I've done that. A few years ago there were nine caches placed by several different owners placed in concert for a 09/09/09 event. I took the day off that day and had FTF on the first three caches I found. After the third one I thought that others might enjoy getting a FTF or two so I took a break for an hour or so and went to a place for a bagel and coffee. I was second to find on the next cache I went for but still had plenty of time to find the rest of the caches placed that day before the event.

I don't care either way as long as I am first.

Ha, ha. Thanks for the chuckle. I've only had a few FTF's and I must admit that I do get a little rush when I see a blank log. One thing I've noticed, however, is that the cache activity seems to drop off after the FTF has been logged. Anyone else notice that? If I happen to get another FTF, I'll wait a day or two before logging it and see what happens.

I personally enjoy a FTF but I don't just drop what ever I am doing to go look for one when I receive an email about a new cache. If I am going out caching I will plan where I go based on if there is a cache that hasn't been found in awhile in the area. Also, I live in an area where we don't have a lot of caches so a few of us like to go after a new cache and try for the FTF but I haven't noticed it get contentious between those who go out after them. It seams to be a good mix of a few of us that get there first, but I don't think it is because anyone is "letting" anyone else get the FTF.

I was back in my home town this last weekend and I specifically went after a couple of caches that were hid in May that hadn't been found yet.

The FTF hunt can be fun but like most things there are people who will take it way too seriously. Caching is my therapy. It is my way to relax and I am going to try and not get too worked up about it.

One thing I've noticed, however, is that the cache activity seems to drop off after the FTF has been logged. Anyone else notice that?

Yes I've seen that. I don't totally understand it. I understand that FTF means a lot to many, and once it is found the urgency is gone. But for me if it s a cache I want to find, I am not put off by the FTF being gone.

There is one cache on my watchlist which I was second to find on - on Aug 10th (same day as the FTF). It's not been found since.. and it is a really nice cache.

I have a different way of looking at this. Sportsmanship is a part of any game or competition. Imagine if you were at a party and there was a pool table. You are ten times the player than anyone else present. Do you run the table until no one else wants to play? Do you try to make harder shots so you miss, it's good practice for you and gives the others players a chance to shoot, but in the end, do you win every game? Does it become simply you playing everyone else in the house with none of them having a chance to play each other? Or do you step back, go grab a beer and let the others play. Does that diminish the others sense of accomplishment.

Please understand, I'm not talking about the scoreless soccer games our kids are now playing so no one gets their feelings hurt. I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with giving the other guy a fighting chance. This is all supposed to be about fun. If someone in the FTF game is playing way too seriously, everyone else stops playing. When that happens, what has he accomplished?

They certainly shouldn't have to worry about spreading the wealth. <_< Sometimes a person needs to put in some effort to get the things they want. Getting a ftf is no different...

I'm sure that you didn't mean it this way, but the moment I decide that I'm wasting time and money to find a geocache, I need to either quit or start looking for better caches.

Edited by Don_J

Why would anyone other than "this person" have to know that the person took a break after finding the first few caches. Oh that's right, it's not enough for the first person to get FTF on every cache. They have to make sure that everyone else knows that they were FTF on every cache. After all, what's the point of getting FTF if you can't rub the noses of other geocachers (you know, those people that place caches for you to find) in the fact that you were FTF?

Everyone of my FTF logs starts with :) :) FTF :) :) and then describes my adventure. Never have I berated anyone or "rubbed it in". In fact, in my second from last FTF log, I lamented the fact that I had stuck around for 20 minutes and no one else showed up. Now, if a certain somebody had arrived, there would have been some good natured ribbing, all in fun.

It's much the same in my area. One person is pretty much always one of the first three people to find it. I got a FTF on an event day, but only because I happened to be the only one travelling by bike. The person I'm talking about turned up 5 minutes later and still had an STF.

Ha, ha. Thanks for the chuckle. I've only had a few FTF's and I must admit that I do get a little rush when I see a blank log. One thing I've noticed, however, is that the cache activity seems to drop off after the FTF has been logged. Anyone else notice that? If I happen to get another FTF, I'll wait a day or two before logging it and see what happens.

What happens is that you get a lot of grief and angst from the other players. When you intentionally withhold a FTF log, people feel that you are messing with them.

I have a different way of looking at this. Sportsmanship is a part of any game or competition. Imagine if you were at a party and there was a pool table. You are ten times the player than anyone else present. Do you run the table until no one else wants to play? Do you try to make harder shots so you miss, it's good practice for you and gives the others players a chance to shoot, but in the end, do you win every game? Does it become simply you playing everyone else in the house with none of them having a chance to play each other? Or do you step back, go grab a beer and let the others play. Does that diminish the others sense of accomplishment.

Please understand, I'm not talking about the scoreless soccer games our kids are now playing so no one gets their feelings hurt. I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with giving the other guy a fighting chance. This is all supposed to be about fun. If someone in the FTF game is playing way too seriously, everyone else stops playing. When that happens, what has he accomplished?

Getting a FTF does not require skill like pool does. Getting a FTF mostly requires effort. There is not much skill involved in either having a smartphone set to alert you or simply just checking your email at the right time, then rushing out the door and driving as fast as legally possible to GZ. It sounds like the other people in this area are not even trying. At least if they got to GZ at the same time as this guy, they could get a shared FTF.

Getting a FTF does not require skill like pool does. Getting a FTF mostly requires effort. There is not much skill involved in either having a smartphone set to alert you or simply just checking your email at the right time, then rushing out the door and driving as fast as legally possible to GZ. It sounds like the other people in this area are not even trying. At least if they got to GZ at the same time as this guy, they could get a shared FTF.

We fully discussed the False Analogy Falacy in the last thread on this topic.

Too me, it is not an analogy. It's a way of thinking that I try to apply when my competitive nature starts to get the better of me.

Too me, it is not an analogy. It's a way of thinking that I try to apply when my competitive nature starts to get the better of me.

For the pool analogy (which The_Incredibles showed to be false), for me it would depend on location. At someones home, I would try to win, but then take turns, not 'winner keeps playing' style. At a pool hall, I would just continue to win and play for free (challanger normaly pays).

I never found a good reason to announce in my online log that got a first to find. I know I got it. And that's enough for me.

I always start with FTF and the time so others in the FTF hunt know when it was first found.

Everyone of my FTF logs starts with :) :) FTF :) :) and then describes my adventure. Never have I berated anyone or "rubbed it in".

Although I know all the smilies are traditional, and you're very restrained to have only 4, while I'm not complaining or anything, I have to admit, the smilies always strike me as "rubbing it in". It doesn't matter to me, but I sometimes have to remind myself that the smilies aren't really bad sportmanship.

On the original topic: it's nice for the primary FTF fiend in an area to take a day off once in a while, sure, but it's unreasonable to expect someone to stop a caching sweep just because they'll get all the FTFs for a new string of caches.

I disagree. Getting a FTF is more about opportunity and sacrifice. Someone that is retired or has a job that allows them to leave at a moments notice has a far greater opportunity that someone that works full time, A young and single person probably has far more opportunities to go out for a FTF at a moments notice than someone that is married with kids and considers their family obligations more important than getting their name first on a log sheet. It's also about sacrifice. Some people are willing to sacrifice lifes responsibilities to be FTF on a geocache. Some people might be willing to show up late for work, break traffic or trespassing laws, or let their spouse make dinner and help their children with their homework, if it means getting FTF on a cache.

I disagree. Getting a FTF is more about opportunity and sacrifice. Someone that is retired or has a job that allows them to leave at a moments notice has a far greater opportunity that someone that works full time, A young and single person probably has far more opportunities to go out for a FTF at a moments notice than someone that is married with kids and considers their family obligations more important than getting their name first on a log sheet. It's also about sacrifice. Some people are willing to sacrifice lifes responsibilities to be FTF on a geocache. Some people might be willing to show up late for work, break traffic or trespassing laws, or let their spouse make dinner and help their children with their homework, if it means getting FTF on a cache.

Hey, is that a quote from Atlas Shrugged?

Even with family and job responsibilities, if you want a FTF or two, you can get them. Just not as many as the single retired FTF hound.

Sacrifice? That's a bit of a strong word for a fun game. :rolleyes: I have 2 kids and lots of obligations but I have still gotten many FTFs. One of my most recent FTFs I took my 4 year old with me. :D I've taken my 11 year old many times and 1 time we took the whole family! So the bit about families not being able to get FTFs is a load of bull. Of course I can't get as many as a single unemployed person, but I've still had plenty of opportunitites. I also managed to get them without being late for work, doing anything illegal or making my kids suffer. I tend to go for FTFs that are within 2 km of my house and published in the evening. I usually end up being FTF and never encounter a large crowd, in fact, often nobody shows up before I leave.

I'm really not sure what you're suggesting. Should all those who are retired or single and unemployed sit at home and not go out for FTFs until the rest of the folks get off work? :blink:

I agree that there are advantages to being retired or having a job that you can leave at a moments notice. Still, there are always times that caches come out when a person is not at work, is not busy, or is not in bed asleep. That person might not get as many ftfs but he or she can certainly score a few,,, if they want them!

I'm really not understanding why some think that a person should hold back. I might do this at times with my 4 year old but it shouldn't be necessary when dealing with people old enough to cache by themselves. It's not like this is a profession which requires a whole lot of skill. Anyone can get a ftf. Yes, there are aids such as setting up notifications and such, but the main thing is to just simply be quick.

Edited by Mudfrog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOHEU7Ykyg#t=2m20s

I'd definitely follow this advice,, if i thought the ftf side game could somehow lead to the world's destruction. :o

It has done more to bring cachers together here than anything else. If 'played' right it's just a fun side game.

For those that didn't catch that the key there is 1) FUN 2) SIDE 3) GAME.

DWAFAC!

(Don't worry and find another cache)

Edited by Totem Clan

I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but when the FTF topic came up, this person always mentioned that and FTF and 50 cents buys a soda from the local vending machine. I'm an FTF hound but I alwasys enjoyed the meh reference.

That must have been a long time ago (it costs a lot more than fifty cents here by now). I've got one FTF and it was fun to get (and I have quite a few FTNFs). There are people who jump on FTFs pretty quickly in my area, I think they are retirees. But there are always opportunities to get FTF for those who want it. I notice that puzzles and multis and caches in the woods don't always get a FTF immediately.

Sacrifice? That's a bit of a strong word for a fun game. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, you consider sacrifice to be too strong a word. I only meant it in terms that one is prioritizing their time such that the immediacy required to go an get a FTF can take precedence over something like getting to work on time.

I have 2 kids and lots of obligations but I have still gotten many FTFs. One of my most recent FTFs I took my 4 year old with me. :D I've taken my 11 year old many times and 1 time we took the whole family! So the bit about families not being able to get FTFs is a load of bull.

Don't assume that your family is like every other family. If saw a notification for a new cache in the evening, and asked my wife and nine year old son if they wanted to go try to get FTF on it, the answer would be "no" every time.

I didn't say that someone with a family could not get a few FTFs every once in awhile. Family obligations is just an example of why I think how many FTFs one gets is more about opportunity than effort. With a smart phone, and instant notifications, it doesn't require that much effort to at least give yourself a good chance at FTF (at least where I live...don't assume that FTF game is the same everywhere). Without the opportunity though, it doesn't matter how much effort one is capable of putting in to get that FTF.

Of course I can't get as many as a single unemployed person, but I've still had plenty of opportunitites. I also managed to get them without being late for work, doing anything illegal or making my kids suffer. I tend to go for FTFs that are within 2 km of my house and published in the evening. I usually end up being FTF and never encounter a large crowd, in fact, often nobody shows up before I leave.

I'm really not sure what you're suggesting. Should all those who are retired or single and unemployed sit at home and not go out for FTFs until the rest of the folks get off work? :blink:

No, that's not what I suggested at all. I don't expect anyone else to change how they play the game. However, if I had more opportunities than many others in the area to go out and find a cache at a moments notice and found myself getting most of the FTF opportunities, I would probably take a little longer to put on my shoes, or even put off looking for a new cache until the weekend. I wouldn't do that because I was expected to give others a chance at FTF, but because it would be a nice thing to do for other cachers.

What happens is that you get a lot of grief and angst from the other players. When you intentionally withhold a FTF log, people feel that you are messing with them.

+1

However, if I had more opportunities than many others in the area to go out and find a cache at a moments notice and found myself getting most of the FTF opportunities, I would probably take a little longer to put on my shoes, or even put off looking for a new cache until the weekend. I wouldn't do that because I was expected to give others a chance at FTF, but because it would be a nice thing to do for other cachers.

Please, don't do this nice thing for me. An ftf would not be the same if i somehow found out that a person intentionally slowed up because they wanted to be nice. For me, it's supposed to be a fun, nothing serious, but at the same time, challenging little side game.

It has done more to bring cachers together here than anything else. If 'played' right it's just a fun side game.

For those that didn't catch that the key there is 1) FUN 2) SIDE 3) GAME.

DWAFAC!

+1 This has definitely been my experience! B)

I never found a good reason to announce in my online log that got a first to find. I know I got it. And that's enough for me.

I don't get a lot of FTFs (20 of my ~2800 finds), but when I do I start the log with FTF so I have a record of it. At the time yes I know I got it, but later I will forget.

That's one of the purposes of logs; to record information. I like going back and looking at old logs. Given it happens so rarely, for me it would be odd not to include the FTF information in the log.

I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but when the FTF topic came up, this person always mentioned that and FTF and 50 cents buys a soda from the local vending machine. I'm an FTF hound but I alwasys enjoyed the meh reference.

It was StarBrand who would say that and everytime one of these topics come up it's the first thing that comes to mind. :laughing: I believe it was the machine off Main street. :laughing: