Cache maintenance and lack of

_SWH

Discuss:

Just wondering if anyone out there has some insight why some COs don't do maintenance on their caches? We have a handful of COs around where I live that don't seem to keep up with their caches. Emails, logs, notes. You name it are sent no action or very long in response time. what do you reccomend?

Separately. Should there be an international "maintain" your caches week? Specifically for those who have maintenance recorded multiple times and/or those caches not found in a long time?

Discuss

Some cachers do place caches just for the numbers and never intend to maintain them. There are some that place caches and then quit playing. Other place caches and then real live get busy and they don't have the time the once did.

I don't think there needs to be a maintenance day. I think those that will maintain their caches do so anyway. Those that won't wouldn't.

As I practice I go to all my caches twice a year no matter what. I also will do maintenance anytime a NM log or a Note informs me of a problem. So I'm doing more than a day of maintenance, as are many other CO's.

Discuss:

Just wondering if anyone out there has some insight why some COs don't do maintenance on their caches?

Sometimes they're dead, sometimes they just don't care. Sometimes it's somewhere in-between.

Here in the Midwest USA I recommend October to be the "Take care of your cache" month.

Speaking for myself, I work 6 days a week. I start at 6AM every day, will have approximately 20 days off this year. Last cache I found was in September, and the caches I have placed are on my way to work. If it was up to me I would be out more caching. Life gets in the way and as long as there is a container and log I just don't have the time to do maintenance for only one cache. This weekend I am specifically going out to do maintenance on a handfull of caches at once. Now if I;m told the cache is completely missing then I'll go out for one cache.

Some folks get real excited when they start and put out a bunch of caches. Then they loose interest and stop maintaining them. Some move to new locations and can't get back to maintain them. A few run into health or personal problems. We have been lucky here. When someone can't take care of a cache they tend to adopt it out or archive it so the spot can host a new cache.

Speaking for myself, I work 6 days a week. I start at 6AM every day, will have approximately 20 days off this year. Last cache I found was in September, and the caches I have placed are on my way to work. If it was up to me I would be out more caching. Life gets in the way and as long as there is a container and log I just don't have the time to do maintenance for only one cache. This weekend I am specifically going out to do maintenance on a handfull of caches at once. Now if I;m told the cache is completely missing then I'll go out for one cache.

If you were within a 60 minute drive from me we would already have had a chat about the fun of caching. Introductions all around.

I'm thinking if you really needed help your locals wouldn't have a problem with assisting you in a maintenance run.

The flip side is we can tell when an owner is active and refuses to respond.

Personnally I try to maintain my caches. Most are close to home so not a problem. We have local cachers some are a bit slack but that is more or less ok. They have families and other things to do. Life sometimes makes geocaching a non priority for awhile. At first I never put Needs Maintence type logs on. It is good to have a number of caches to choose from. Today I dropped a TB in a what I thought was a nice cache on a trail. I get home to log in and found out it was archived today! 3 dnf in the past year. One may be a decent dnf and then two by cachers with low cache finds. Another cacher comes along high cache count from out of area. Decides that there are multiple dnf's (3) and puts needs maintenance on cache. Apparently CO does not have time to check cache and it gets archived. Lost of a perfectly good cache on a nice trail. Because someone jumped the gun. Multiple dnf's should go to Needs Maintenance and only after that to Archived status which will force action on cache. Now I need to do a rescue mission to retrieve the TB unless picked up by CO or local cacher. And I do hate a long walk in the woods to find it is not there!!!!!

Another cacher comes along high cache count from out of area. Decides that there are multiple dnf's (3) and puts needs maintenance on cache. Apparently CO does not have time to check cache and it gets archived. Lost of a perfectly good cache on a nice trail. Because someone jumped the gun.

If the cache needs maintenance, there's absolutely nothing wrong with logging a Needs Maintenance. Doing so isn't "jumping the gun", but rather an honest assessment of the state of the cache that will help both the CO and other cachers. Maybe you're confusing "Needs Maintenance" with "Needs Archive"? Needs Maintenance logs alert the CO that the cache needs work, whereas Needs Archive logs alert a reviewer that the cache has a problem. The Needs Archive log is the only one that automatically notifies a reviewer. Did the cache get archived by a reviewer without any Needs Archive logs, or did the CO voluntarily archive it?

Personnally I try to maintain my caches. Most are close to home so not a problem. We have local cachers some are a bit slack but that is more or less ok. They have families and other things to do. Life sometimes makes geocaching a non priority for awhile. At first I never put Needs Maintence type logs on. It is good to have a number of caches to choose from. Today I dropped a TB in a what I thought was a nice cache on a trail. I get home to log in and found out it was archived today! 3 dnf in the past year. One may be a decent dnf and then two by cachers with low cache finds. Another cacher comes along high cache count from out of area. Decides that there are multiple dnf's (3) and puts needs maintenance on cache. Apparently CO does not have time to check cache and it gets archived. Lost of a perfectly good cache on a nice trail. Because someone jumped the gun. Multiple dnf's should go to Needs Maintenance and only after that to Archived status which will force action on cache. Now I need to do a rescue mission to retrieve the TB unless picked up by CO or local cacher. And I do hate a long walk in the woods to find it is not there!!!!!

Why not just email the CO and/or reviewer and tell them it's there? Reviewers can unarchive a cache under certain circumstances.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I just did one today where there was a container without a lid, and the log was wet. Based on the logs, this had been the case for quite awhile. I have a kit in the car for such occasions, and had a container that was similar in size and color. So I replaced the plastic bag, dried out the log the best I could, and dropped some swag.

Is it wrong to be a cache angel and take care of someone else's cache? I made pretty much the same case in my log for why I did it. Now it's a better game piece for those that come after me.

Those are the ones that really irritate me. The ones that find enough time to go out and find a bunch of caches every weekend, yet somehow don't have the time to maintain their own caches.

Worse are the ones that find time to hide 20 more caches in a weeks time, while 20 of their existing caches are missing.

when a cache is expected to soon need service -

just write about it in your found it log

when a cache need service -

make a NM log after your found it log,

this set the red flag,

now the CO and all other finders can see the latest status

and do something about it

a CO who got alot of caches, can not read all logs in detail

and he can not take notes from the logs,

when the red flag is set, he can see it very easily on his own cache pages

no need for him to read all logs to find the cache in need for service

when a cache is in terrible shape -

you as a finder surely expect the red flag to be set,

and set for a very long time ago, check this is the case,

if not, it is not the CO fault, but the finders lack of repporting the issue

before a bad cache gets into terrible shape.

if a terrible cache, got red flag, and for a long time,

repport NA,

another thing to do before you post a NA log, is to check if CO is stil active,

see on his profile, when did he last log in ? when did he last find or placed a cache.

you can also write him an email asking if he is still arround and playing,

if the cache is worth saveing, offer your help and assistance.

if you dont hear anything, he might moved, or dont play, or dont care,

post NA.

---

I as a CO say:

all my caches with no red flag are in 100% in perfect shape !

this is how I define it,

if a finder thinks othervise, he is very welcome to post a NM

this is really what I try to make all finders do,

so they learn how the system works, I normally dont perform service on a cache, if it got no red flag.

I post a NM my self, if I (by accident, or at a day with alot of time to read logs)

find out by the normal found it logs one of my caches needs service,

this way I warn others about the possible bad state, and I can now easily remember this cache and fix it

at the next service run.

I perform service runs 1-2 times a week,

and it takes 1-2 hrs a month for me.

I got 75 active caches, they are located VERY close to where I work or live,

else I will not be able to keep them in good health.

Edited by OZ2CPU

We have emailed them. Funny thing is they have a lot and have several others in their group that they have caches about or for. I think they just had life come around it something

I just hate to see no maintenance being done and I can't afford to do them all. Some people have been replacing bags, containers eye. Not many but yes a few

What are the rules then on replacing with my own if not found by bothers for so long?

I just did one today where there was a container without a lid, and the log was wet. Based on the logs, this had been the case for quite awhile. I have a kit in the car for such occasions, and had a container that was similar in size and color. So I replaced the plastic bag, dried out the log the best I could, and dropped some swag.

Is it wrong to be a cache angel and take care of someone else's cache? I made pretty much the same case in my log for why I did it. Now it's a better game piece for those that come after me.

Looking through the logs this owner has never maintained this cache since he planted it in May 2005.

The original container was a coffee can tin - not a good choice. Google maps shows that it's in the bushes in front of a school, an inappropriate spot and a reason to post an NA according to the guidelines http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=134 .

Planted May 2005.

About 6 months after listing the cache, logs report water damage and rust.

Dec 2006 a NM was posted because cache was "almost a total loss". Then about every 3rd log reports that the cache is a 'rust bucket'.

Oct 2007 WES (not the cache owner) replaced the open coffee can with a new container and contents.

Summer 2009 many logs about a wet log.

2010 complaints about wet log.

2010-2011 scattered comments about the cache needing maintenance and the log being damp or wet.

Finally in April 2012 (7 years after planting the cache) the CO posts a note saying s/he will replace the log ASAP. April 2012 was the last time the CO visited the gc site. He does not replace the log.

Oct 2012 someone reports that the lid is missing.

Nov 2012 DBW reports lid missing and wet log and replaces the container, adds swag and puts the log in a new baggie.

I would not perpetuate an abandoned cache and especially not one that was inappropriately placed in front of a school. I would post an NM, put the cache on my watch list and after about 3 weeks I would post an NA.

Edited by L0ne R

Huh?

It takes a fraction of the time to simply read your email then it does to open each individual page.

And, any CO that does not have time to read the email logs on their caches has too many caches to maintain. There is no other way to spin it. If you don't have time to read what people are reporting, how would you ever find time to respond appropriately?

Looking through the logs this owner has never maintained this cache since he planted it in May 2005.

The original container was a coffee can tin - not a good choice. Google maps shows that it's in the bushes in front of a school, an inappropriate spot and a reason to post an NA according to the guidelines http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=134 .

Planted May 2005.

Dec 2006 a NM was posted because cache was "almost a total loss". Then about every 3rd log reports that the cache is a 'rust bucket'.

Oct 2007 WES (not the cache owner) replaced the open coffee can with a new container and contents.

2010-2011 scattered comments about the cache needing maintenance and the log being damp or wet.

Finally in April 2012 (7 years after planting the cache) the CO posts a note saying s/he will replace the log ASAP. April 2012 was the last time the CO visited the gc site. He does not replace the log.

Nov 2012 DBW reports lid missing and wet log and replaces the container, adds swag and puts the log in a new baggie.

I would not perpetuate an abandoned cache and especially not one that was inappropriately placed in front of a school. I would post an NM, put the cache on my watch list and after about 3 weeks I would post an NA.

+1 regarding the conclusion here. If a cache is in really bad condition with a seemingly inactive owner I'm afraid it is the only way to deal with the cache. I try to follow this scenario as much as possible especially in my local area.

I hope if ever I decide not to play the game anymore that I will have the decency to archive my caches and collect them in.

Planted May 2005.

Replacing someone's crappy container with your crappy container, helps no one.

Huh?

It takes a fraction of the time to simply read your email then it does to open each individual page.

And, any CO that does not have time to read the email logs on their caches has too many caches to maintain. There is no other way to spin it. If you don't have time to read what people are reporting, how would you ever find time to respond appropriately?

+1

I wasn't going to say anything earlier but I can't not say it.

I have received 31 emails today alone on my caches and it's just passed midday on a Thursday. Some weekends I get many more than that. I read EVERYONE of them, and respond as needed either on the cache page or by email. If I'm not going to do that, I'm not going to hide caches. It's part of cache maintenance as far as I'm concerned.

If you were within a 60 minute drive from me we would already have had a chat about the fun of caching. Introductions all around.

I'm thinking if you really needed help your locals wouldn't have a problem with assisting you in a maintenance run.

Yes that's one of the thing I like about caching. All the "seasoned" local cachers-or most anyway-would always be willing to help. Re-reading my post it kinda seems I'm saying my caches are in bad shape. Just like to say that's not the case. I'm talking about caches that are still intact and have a log. Maybe the log is getting full, or a clasp on a LnL is broke off. I see that as needs to be done soon but the cache is still there. Now if a cache is missing, or somebody ran over it-somehow happened on a couple of mine-I would go right out a do something about it, as long as I had a replacement available. Just don't know if I made myself clear.

I disagree. Now I don't get 30 found it's on one day, but I always read every single email from geocaching.com. And that has meant 100 at one time. Multiple times.

Yes that's one of the thing I like about caching. All the "seasoned" local cachers-or most anyway-would always be willing to help. Re-reading my post it kinda seems I'm saying my caches are in bad shape. Just like to say that's not the case. I'm talking about caches that are still intact and have a log. Maybe the log is getting full, or a clasp on a LnL is broke off. I see that as needs to be done soon but the cache is still there. Now if a cache is missing, or somebody ran over it-somehow happened on a couple of mine-I would go right out a do something about it, as long as I had a replacement available. Just don't know if I made myself clear.

I understood what you meant. I talk to my locals and if I thought they needed a hand I'd offer it. As I would you. (Of course I would ask before just running out and 'fixing' things for them)

Those are the ones that really irritate me. The ones that find enough time to go out and find a bunch of caches every weekend, yet somehow don't have the time to maintain their own caches.

Worse are the ones that find time to hide 20 more caches in a weeks time, while 20 of their existing caches are missing.

Yeah, I don't think anyone should be able to hide new caches when their existing ones are missing or need maintenance. We have someone here who neglects many of their caches for months, perhaps hoping that others will replace or maintain them. All while finding time to go caching regularly. I have replaced a number of logbooks for them, but at some point, you just want to :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't think anyone should be able to hide new caches when their existing ones are missing or need maintenance. We have someone here who neglects many of their caches for months, perhaps hoping that others will replace or maintain them. All while finding time to go caching regularly. I have replaced a number of logbooks for them, but at some point, you just want to :rolleyes:

They would just post false 'Owner Maintenance' Logs and keep hiding new ones.

They would just post false 'Owner Maintenance' Logs and keep hiding new ones.

Yes, I realize this. Sad, really.

I don't think it's a good idea to have an automated block on new caches when the CO has caches with the NM attribute (or caches that are disabled). Sometimes there's nothing you can do to maintain (or re-enable) a cache until something else (beyond your control) happens. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to hide new caches in other locations.

I don't think it's a good idea to have an automated block on new caches when the CO has caches with the NM attribute (or caches that are disabled). Sometimes there's nothing you can do to maintain (or re-enable) a cache until something else (beyond your control) happens. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to hide new caches in other locations.

I agree. I just wish that there was some way that Groundspeak could intervene. And, I don't want the reviewers to have to do it. The 20 and 20 example that I posted above is real, and it has happened with this individual on more than one occasion. I have also seen him "replace" a missing container for someone that quit the game over a year ago, and log the find while one of his missing caches a 1/2 mile away had a 30 day notice ticking down on it. The reviewer had to archive that one.

I agree. I just wish that there was some way that Groundspeak could intervene.
IIRC, the new system for listing a cache does warn/remind you if you have caches that need maintenance. This kind of automated warning/reminder can be very useful. I just think it needs to stay a warning, and not become an automated block.

Careful there. There have been cases of people who throw-down caches referring to them as "angel caches". You don't want to go there. :)

Well, this is a cache maintenance and lack of thread. This site has a HUGE problem with abandoned caches. There are so many caches out there in this day and age, that I'll go out on a limb and say no abandoned cache deserves to be "taken care of" by someone like you did.

I agree. I just wish that there was some way that Groundspeak could intervene. And, I don't want the reviewers to have to do it. The 20 and 20 example that I posted above is real, and it has happened with this individual on more than one occasion. I have also seen him "replace" a missing container for someone that quit the game over a year ago, and log the find while one of his missing caches a 1/2 mile away had a 30 day notice ticking down on it. The reviewer had to archive that one.

GS could, on an individule basis, block repeat offenders from posting new caches until the situation got better. This could be a qualitative process where a lacky would review the logs for perp's caches after a year to see if it appeared s/he had started doing proper mainanence. Of course, you would only do this for the worst of the worst offenders due to the severity and work load requirements.

Personaly, a couple of years ago, I found that 2 of my caches were needing regular maintanence, and they were a little too far for me to just run out and do. I found I could not keep up, so I adopted them out to other cachers who lived closer. Worked great.