Replacing someone else's cache logbook

Occasionally, as im sure we all do, I find a cache where the logbook is either full or damaged (usually saturated), or sometimes missing entirely.

I now carry a few various blank logsheets in order to replace any I find full or unusable. However, this leads me to a question of etiquette -

what to do with the old log? My way of thinking is that I should email the CO offering to send them the old log for their records, and let them decide if they want them or if i should dispose of them. I'd like to think if someone found one of my logs full they would offer to get the full log to me. Of course, if i do replace a log i say so on the caches online log page.

Would others agree with this?

I was have some premade logs, and was given a bunch of rite in the rain paper to print my own so I always have extra logs. I'll replace them, others around here do the same. I usually write a note on the cache page "log was full I replaced it with RITR. If you want it give me an email within 2 weeks." And then it goes into my box full of caching stuff until I clean it out-about once a year.

If there is room and I have a logbook with me I'll add it, but I would never remove the old logbook without the owners prior permission. If there is no room for a new logbook I'd probably log a NM or send the CO a note letting him know that his logbook needs replacing.

Edited by briansnat

Occasionally, as im sure we all do, I find a cache where the logbook is either full or damaged (usually saturated), or sometimes missing entirely.

I now carry a few various blank logsheets in order to replace any I find full or unusable. However, this leads me to a question of etiquette -

what to do with the old log? My way of thinking is that I should email the CO offering to send them the old log for their records, and let them decide if they want them or if i should dispose of them. I'd like to think if someone found one of my logs full they would offer to get the full log to me. Of course, if i do replace a log i say so on the caches online log page.

Would others agree with this?

I think you're doing the right thing. I've replaced many full logs. If the log is damaged due to a poor container, I won't bother because the new log would get soaked also. I usually write 'replaced log' in my Found log. Never have sent an email because 99% of the ones I've replaced are micro logs. With larger logbooks, I'd leave them in place if there was space, but if not, I'd definately send the CO an email and hang on to it for a bit.

If there is room and I have a logbook with me I'll add it, but I would never remove the old logbook without the owners prior permission. If there is no room for a new logbook I'd probably log a NM or send the CO a note letting him know that his logbook needs replacing.

Exactly. I have added sheets and entire books on many occasions, but I have never removed what is already there. And, I will only do this with remote caches. If an urban micro/nano needs a new log, the CO should be able to handle it.

a log book dont get full or wet from one day to another.

a log book can go missing from one sec to the next sec.

easy to print-cut-fold emergency logbooks exist here

http://geocacher-u.com/?page_id=28

use them wisely

and please remember to repport NM in good time

--

We remove the original look book IF :

there is no room for it,

it is wet

it is rotten

it is in VERY bad shape and contain seriously no value to anyone

it will cause damage to other items in the cache

Edited by OZ2CPU

That is the way I handle it. Don't think anyone has ever asked me to send them the log.

I would be disappointed if someone took my cache's logbook. I keep all of our full logbooks and have almost 3 shoeboxes full. I would probably ask if the person who took it could put it back in the cache for me to retrieve. Being female, I'm reluctant to give a stranger my home address or even meet up somewhere to get the logbook back.

What I prefer is a comment in the online log that the book is almost full, which would give me a few days to get out there and replace it.

Edited by L0ne R

We've added log sheets if the original log is missing are completely full, but we'd never remove it. Add a note when we log online what we did for the CO to fix the situation. The only time we've removed a log book is when it was so saturated that it would just ruin the new "temporary sheet(s), and just rot the rest of the cache contents. In that case, we dried the cache, added some temporary sheets, took the soaked log book and emailed the CO what they wanted done with it.

Leave the old log if there is room. If not remove it and let the CO know just as you stated. That's your best move.

Exactly....we've replaced hundreds and never had an owner ask for the log....many email their thanks however.

If its soaked and rotten throw it away....an unreadable piece of trash won't do anyone any good.

If it was just a single piece of paper log and my putting a new one in there would be untenable without removing the old one, I'd remove the old one and let the CO know, especially if that piece of paper is now totally wet or really damaged. If it was an actual log book, I'd just mention it in my log its really full.

Have yet to personally find a CO who cares about a single piece of paper log in wanting it back that I have replaced. Course, my process for doing this would change depending how well I know the CO is and their habits.

I would be disappointed if someone took my cache's logbook. I keep all of our full logbooks and have almost 3 shoeboxes full. I would probably ask if the person who took it could put it back in the cache for me to retrieve. Being female,

Please excuse my brief OT remark here, but I just have to express my surprise. How many years have I seen your posts here, and never guessed that?! Huh!!!

Regarding the topic, I have replaced logs and taken the old one when the old one was so wet that it would quickly cause the new one to also get wet. I do email the owner in those cases, but as others have stated, I have never been asked to return it to the cache owner. Personally, I have tried to keep a few of my own old logbooks, but soon found that they were simply clutter, and tossed them out.

At first I thought I would want the old logs but now would be happy to have someone replace them. I will also do it if I know the cacher. As far as my caches feel free to change them out (not that I am not willing to) and I have seen most cachers feel the same. Thanks for your help.

-WarNinjas

One of our caches went missing (it was just a bison hanging on a fence). The next geocacher found the log on the ground and e-mailed us to let us know the cache was gone. He left the old log stuck on the fence, so when I went to replace the container, the old log was there. I didn't really want it, but I appreciated his thoughtfulness!

If the log is full and there's room, I leave it in the cache. If it's full and there isn't room, I take it out and offer to send it to the CO. (Never been taken up on this offer.)

If the log is a moldering or rotting mess, I've replaced it and just stated in my log that it was a mess and I was throwing it away. Never had any dispute on that one.