Need a Cache Name.

Totem Clan

I'm hiding a series of caches outside some old Atlas F (SM-65) missile sites. I want a good name for them.

For now they are called...

The Final Opition - Willow

The Final Opition - Granite

...and so on. The town name being the closest town and the one which the Air Force used to refer to the sites.

They are numbered as site 577-1, 577-2 ect. The 577th SMS is the unit that manned the silos.

They were assigned to Altus AFB.

They stood on alert during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Any neat ides?

I'm hiding a series of caches outside some old Atlas F (SM-65) missile sites. I want a good name for them.

...and so on. The town name being the closest town and the one which the Air Force used to refer to the sites.

They are numbered as site 577-1, 577-2 ect. The 577th SMS is the unit that manned the silos.

Any neat ides?

Well, I'm thinking. As a warm up (not nitpicking here, just mentioning obvious typo) in case you go with the temps, Opition

would be 'Option'. That said, I noticed one more near the end that gave me an idea (probably a poor one, since I don't know how many you are hiding).

That would be to call them "Beware" January, February etc. 'As in Beware the Ides of xx' (not a good day to have your friends fall upon you).

I do like the Atlas Shrugged idea, but how to individualize without using numbers?

But heck, I'm still looking for a certain book edition... grr.

Hey! Just had another one... how about "(H)Altus or I'll shoot! xx " the H would be an option.

Doug 7rxc

Any neat ides?

Well, I'm thinking. As a warm up (not nitpicking here, just mentioning obvious typo) in case you go with the temps, Opition

would be 'Option'. That said, I noticed one more near the end that gave me an idea (probably a poor one, since I don't know how many you are hiding).

That would be to call them "Beware" January, February etc. 'As in Beware the Ides of xx' (not a good day to have your friends fall upon you).

I do like the Atlas Shrugged idea, but how to individualize without using numbers?

But heck, I'm still looking for a certain book edition... grr.

Hey! Just had another one... how about "(H)Altus or I'll shoot! xx " the H would be an option.

Doug 7rxc

Oops! The spelling mistake was on the forums only. I done did it the good way on the page. :laughing:

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't use the same "prefix" for the name. It is really a pain when you are searching for a cache by name and 5 of them come up because the prefix is the same and your GPS doesn't show the full name.

Whatever you do, PLEASE don't use the same "prefix" for the name. It is really a pain when you are searching for a cache by name and 5 of them come up because the prefix is the same and your GPS doesn't show the full name.

It's just the reverse when use GSAK. It sorts easier that way.

I like Don J's. Maybe go through and name the series based on movies that talked about the nuclear crisis/attacks. Here are a couple

-War Games - Like Don J said

-Sum of All Fears

-Dawns Early Light

-Red Dawn (you have to understand the back story to remember this one)

-Dr Strangelove (OK It is a Stretch)

-Fail safe

-Crimson TIde

THose would be some suggestions

I like Don J's. Maybe go through and name the series based on movies that talked about the nuclear crisis/attacks. Here are a couple

-War Games - Like Don J said

-Sum of All Fears

-Dawns Early Light

-Red Dawn (you have to understand the back story to remember this one)

-Dr Strangelove (OK It is a Stretch)

-Fail safe

-Crimson TIde

THose would be some suggestions

That'd be cool. Don't forget:

On the Beach

The Day After

Throwing one into that list... 'Twilight's Last Gleaming' which involves a missile silo.

Was that part of a series? (like 'By Dawns Early Light')

edit another after thought... loosely Under Siege 1 and 2 both involve similar incidents (fiction).

Heck, why not 'True Lies' as well.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

+1

No matter how GSAK sorts at home, it's really important to me to have distinct names in the field.

I've been caching with others a few times and run across the problem,

"Okay, which cache next?"

"Evil hide #"

"Which one?"

"I don't know. It got cut off, but I seem to remember there were at least 8 of them around here."

then...

"You missed the turn!!!"

"No, it's up ahead."

"No, that's the NEXT evil hide. Not the one we're looking for."

"That's the one up on my GPS. Which one do you have on yours?"

"The one you just passed."

And so on and so forth.

It can add a great deal of irritation to an otherwise wonderful day of caching.

+1

No matter how GSAK sorts at home, it's really important to me to have distinct names in the field.

"Evil hide #"

"Which one?"

"I don't know. It got cut off, but I seem to remember there were at least 8 of them around here."

then...

"You missed the turn!!!"

"No, it's up ahead."

And so on and so forth.

If you are using smart names In GSAK. Tool/Options - Conversions. Enter Evil Hide=EH

Your names will now be EH#1, EH#2, etc.

It can be an issue. I loaded a bunch of caches for the city of Santa Paula, CA once not realizing that about 30 of them began with the name Santa Paula. I ended up with SANTAPAULA, SANTAPAULB, SANTAPAULC and so on on my GPS. I had no idea which cache was which.

+1

"Evil hide #"

"Which one?"

then...

"You missed the turn!!!"

"No, it's up ahead."

And so on and so forth.

I've been caching with GSAK and my Colorado in the field for almost 5 years now and had a single problem with runs/series. In fact it seems to work better for me if they have the ## last.

Concur with this. GSAK is platform specific, and not everyone can use it.

If I could put my hands upon such sites...

... my options would be a Letterbox or a Wherigo and would definitely involve an adventure of one of this two gentleman: James Bond, Dr. Henry Jones Jr, so the name would be apropriate with my coice...

Your dilema is a bit easy.. Hide the caches and on site you'll realise each one's name...