New to caching.

TeamTessie

Hi,

I've just started caching as a bit of extra interest whilst out walking.

At present I'm using my trusty Nokia E71/viewranger to navigate. However, I'm considering a GPS as they are probably more robust and waterproof.

What are people currently using. I'm torn between buying a full GPS like a Satmap Active 10 (we also do a lot of walking), or just getting something cheaper just for caching like an eTrex.

Also, are there any groups, etc in the Worcester area.

Thanks,

Tim (and Tessie).

However, I'm considering a GPS as they are probably more robust and waterproof.

You bet they are! Waterproof to 1m :)

If you like the OS maps then they are available on the eTrex. The 25k is pretty expensive although there are ways of putting them on the GPS with some hacking. 50k is more reasonable and as been mentioned OSM maps are pretty good.

I'd be temped to look at the Oregon, or better still the Montana, as the screen resolution is better than the eTrex.

Although not as active as they once were, Cachewalker is a group of friendly cachers based mainly in Glos/Worcs/Warwicks. They have a forum here:

http://cachewalker.createaforum.com/

Not as active as we once were? :huh: We're more active than ever, in six months we've posted more posts on our new forum than we ever did on our old forums, and we are organizing much more events now :D - already three this year, and the fourth is currently awaiting publication :)

Please feel free to join the forum, we have several members from your area :D

Although not as active as they once were, Cachewalker is a group of friendly cachers based mainly in Glos/Worcs/Warwicks. They have a forum here:

Not as active as we once were? :huh: We're more active than ever, in six months we've posted more posts on our new forum than we ever did on our old forums, and we are organizing much more events now :D - already three this year, and the fourth is currently awaiting publication :)

Yea, I agree with what the chatty Griff Grof says! :laughing:

Yea, I agree with what the chatty Griff Grof says! :laughing:

Sorry. :anicute:

Well I took the plunge and bought a Satmap Active 10. Desicion was a bit easier as my sailing club had a 15% discount scheme with Cotswold Outdoor. The A10 came with a 1/3rd off voucher for 1:25k mapping so I bought Hereford and Worcester.

Have downloaded a PQ for local caches, and it all seems to work nicely.

Unfortunatly as most of H&W is now underwater, I can't give it some really good tests, but initial impressions are good.

Tim.

I was thinking of taking up Scuba Diving that way I could do two hobbies at once if this flooding continues

though its not so bad in my part of country.

I use a Samsung Galaxy 3 with built GPS that is quite good but I do not think that it will be much good under water

so I am avoiding it as much as possible.

Edited by jarod20