Additional GLONASS Garmin Units?

PHeller

I've been hesitant to buy a new GPS because the 62 series didn't seem that much better over the 60 series, then the Etrex updates came along and many are getting better accuracy with the addition of GLONASS. If the 62 series had GLONASS it would seal the deal, especially with its better keys, larger screen, quad helix, and faster redraw of maps.

Has anyone heard any speculation of Garmin updating the 62 series to include GLONASS capabilities? Or an "Etrex 40" with a better processor to aid in redraw? Or maybe a new touch-screen GPS similar to the Dakota with GLONASS support?

What says the rumor mill?

I’ve been thinking the next generation Garmin GPS’s will be using the L5 signal of the new GPS 2F series. Seems to me that GLONASS would be obsolete at that point. But of course Garmin will probably be looking for some new feature before that to sell more GPS’s so I wouldn’t be surprised to see GLONASS added in next year’s new line but remember it will take 6 - 12 months to get the software half way correct.

How much accuracy does a person need? For hiking etc things are already good enough,for geo caching what do you need? Walk right up and just bend down and pick it up,wow thats a hard game to play now,I only do puzzle caches already because its too easy otherwise,life is a picnic since SA was turned off,we used to find enemy positions with just a topo map and compass decades ago,now a few feet off is too much!

I’ve been thinking the next generation Garmin GPS’s will be using the L5 signal of the new GPS 2F series. Seems to me that GLONASS would be obsolete at that point. But of course Garmin will probably be looking for some new feature before that to sell more GPS’s so I wouldn’t be surprised to see GLONASS added in next year’s new line but remember it will take 6 - 12 months to get the software half way correct.

See post #2 on GLONASS.

How much accuracy does a person need? For hiking etc things are already good enough,for geo caching what do you need? Walk right up and just bend down and pick it up,wow thats a hard game to play now,I only do puzzle caches already because its too easy otherwise,life is a picnic since SA was turned off,we used to find enemy positions with just a topo map and compass decades ago,now a few feet off is too much!

Of course even if you're out hunting a geocache with military grade GPS technology the location is only as good as the gear the person hiding it was using. Some of those older caches, from soon after SA was switched off, won't suddenly get more accurate coordinates just because the hunter is using a top-end system to find it.

Also, adding GLONASS reception isn't just about improving accuracy, it's also about improving the reliablity of your position fix. With GLONASS turned on, my Etrex 30 regularly gets a fix from 10 or more satellites - even in difficult locations where my GPSMap 60CSx struggles to get 4 or 5 satellites. It makes the difference between getting a good fix, and not getting a fix at all.

Also, adding GLONASS reception isn't just about improving accuracy, it's also about improving the reliablity of your position fix. With GLONASS turned on, my Etrex 30 regularly gets a fix from 10 or more satellites - even in difficult locations where my GPSMap 60CSx struggles to get 4 or 5 satellites. It makes the difference between getting a good fix, and not getting a fix at all.

I have to add this, I use an external antenna on my 60cx and on my 76csx.I see the signal strength bars really extend theirselves and the epe improves dramatically.I know that alot of gpsr's do not have that antenna jack,but,for the one's that do have it, try it and you will be surprised.