Obtaining permission

t-wolf67

Today I was looking for a cache that was placed on business private property. I was more than a little surprised when the owner came out and asked me why, all of a sudden, everyone is interested in one of the trees on his property. I had assumed that permission had already been obtained. I explained to him what geocaching is and why people were looking at his trees. He was fine with the placement but was not asked ahead of time. We all know that doing this is bad form, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on any additional steps that should be taken. Thanks.

Well, really I just want to say I LOVE YOUR DOG! Awesome picture. As for permission, I'm positive they were supposed to get permission to place it on private property. What should you do? It might depend on how involved you want to get. Luckily the business owner said he was fine with the placement so maybe it's all good now? I don't know how you feel about emailing the cache owner about it. I hear they can get feisty sometimes so personally I would stay out of it. Usually when it's placed on private property the cache page will say something like "obtained permission" so you know you're safe. Or sometimes you even have to get the City's permission if it's in parks or on other public land so they'll say "received City's permission". Ya de ya da.

For one thing everytime you place a cache you are telling Groundspeak that permission has been obtained. So we as cachers are assuming that permission has been granted and that it's ok to go look for it. One problem that may be present is WHO gives permission. The manager, business owner, property owner, security company, or even a property management company all may grant permission but if they don't tell anyone else at the property then it's like no one knows.

There's pretty much nothing you can do, if approached in a negative way, just walk away from the cache and post a note on the cache page.

Describe this little encounter in your Found log, then drop the CO a private note. The main goal here is to avoid the CO doing it again, so assume it was an honest mistake and approach it as something he has to learn.

If it keeps happening, then you've got a different problem, but I hope that's not the case.

Easy to figure out what cache it was, too. The cache page says it all!

Opinions on the subject? Well... you'll probably get 'em from ignore it to report it.

As for what you should do.... I would suggest you read the cache page again, and make up your mind.

I don't think there are many people who would report this incident. I've often heard of parking lot caches where the manager or what not comes out and asks what's going on, but is OK with the cache.

Read the cache page, you mean this?:

I have a lot of geocaching containers that are just sitting around, so I am going to keep them in my car and place them at random

Awesome inspiration for placing a Geocache. Yes, that was sarcasm. :ph34r:

Looks like you've been finding a lot of parking lot micros t-wolf, and are on a cache a day streak. Trust me, 99.9% of these parking lot micros are placed without permission. Like the latest one you found is in a Cabella's parking lot with a 3 word cache page. You could call this fact a dirty little secret. If you actually like poking around in these parking lots, just live with that dirty little secret. :huh:

There have been a lot of great thoughts here. I knew you guys would shed light on it. For the record, the cache is NOT on my log page. I did not record it because I wanted it to remain anonymous until I made a determination.

Have a great weekend and happy caching!

T-wolf67

Opinions on the subject? Well... you'll probably get 'em from ignore it to report it.

As for what you should do.... I would suggest you read the cache page again, and make up your mind.

Yep, the replies crossed the spectrum. All good thoughts. The cache wasn't listed on my log, so you may be thinking of a different one. Thanks for the reply.

Well, really I just want to say I LOVE YOUR DOG! Awesome picture. As for permission, I'm positive they were supposed to get permission to place it on private property. What should you do? It might depend on how involved you want to get. Luckily the business owner said he was fine with the placement so maybe it's all good now? I don't know how you feel about emailing the cache owner about it. I hear they can get feisty sometimes so personally I would stay out of it. Usually when it's placed on private property the cache page will say something like "obtained permission" so you know you're safe. Or sometimes you even have to get the City's permission if it's in parks or on other public land so they'll say "received City's permission". Ya de ya da.

Thanks for the reply and the comment on the picture. Have a great day.

Describe this little encounter in your Found log, then drop the CO a private note. The main goal here is to avoid the CO doing it again, so assume it was an honest mistake and approach it as something he has to learn.

If it keeps happening, then you've got a different problem, but I hope that's not the case.

Thanks, I think you're probably right on this one. I'm going to assume the cache owner got permission from someone else at the location but the owner and maintenance person were never told. I'll send the CO a note as well. I appreciate the feedback.

I don't think there are many people who would report this incident. I've often heard of parking lot caches where the manager or what not comes out and asks what's going on, but is OK with the cache.

Read the cache page, you mean this?:

I have a lot of geocaching containers that are just sitting around, so I am going to keep them in my car and place them at random

Awesome inspiration for placing a Geocache. Yes, that was sarcasm. :ph34r:

Looks like you've been finding a lot of parking lot micros t-wolf, and are on a cache a day streak. Trust me, 99.9% of these parking lot micros are placed without permission. Like the latest one you found is in a Cabella's parking lot with a 3 word cache page. You could call this fact a dirty little secret. If you actually like poking around in these parking lots, just live with that dirty little secret. :huh:

Thanks Mr. Yuck. Good points all. This particular one seemed different from the other parking lot ones because it was the kind of place where the owner was right there, not a big chain organization where the "owner" will never even be there. But your point is very well taken. I'm not a big fan of the parking lot caches, but it is a positive alternative to spending my lunch hour sitting in an office.

Have a great day and thanks for the thoughts.