New Category: Electric Bike Charging Stations.

I have created a new group and want to discuss and create interest in this group.

My opinion is that its an interesting group because you visit nice locations when you search them. And you can search theme too by car.

Nice WM locations were you find E-bike charging points are for example.

Museums, Information desks in National Parks, Childrens Farms, Tourist Information Points, Publice Houses, Pubs, Bicycle Shops, Restaurants, Camping Grounds, Hotels, B&B's and so on.

You park your e-bike at a charge point and it will load the battery.

Meanwhile You take a rest at a terrace and drink a cup of coffee or take a walk in the village and you can search for other WM or visit some.

Most of them are free (The Netherlands) or you paid a small fee.

Or drink a thea or coffee or eat a meal and it's free too.

Further you see here "Electric Bike Charging Stations." a little example how it looks in the group.

I hope everybody likes it so let me know.

Comments are also welcome.

Grtz

John

Edited by dreamhummie

You may want to delete the sentence that criticizes another category. It's not a great way to gain support of your proposal.

With that said...I will go look up electric bikes since I have not seen one yet. It sounds like something I would enjoy riding. Thanks for bringing this proposal to the forums.

Edited by Max and 99

@Max and 99: I hope you will find an e-bike to test soon. They are really great.

@dreamhummy: Maybe you are a bit too early with your proposal. I have not heard of any e-bike charging stations around here yet and usually we (Swiss) are not far behind the Dutch when it comes to cycling innovations. But for the moment the only e-bike charging station I am aware of is me. When my wife notices that her battery is low she takes mine. And then I am left with an empty battery. :-(

We have a category for e-car charging stations. Would it not make sense to include e-bikes there? Have you asked this group to include them? I guess this would make sense because the are similar.

Edited by fi67

These are virtually non existent in Australia. A few in the capital cities, none elsewhere. They are combined with EV (Electronic Vehicle) charging stations which are just as rare so a separate category is probably not necessary.

A friend had an electric bike once. He'd pedal it then switch to electric power, charge it up at work & do the same at home. It was viewed as a novelty. You can still buy them though in bike shops.

It was viewed as a novelty. You can still buy them though in bike shops.

You may see them as a temporary hype. This is not the case. In Europe they are omnipresent and have the highest growth rate of all vehicle segments. In the street where I live there is at least one in every house and they are used regularly. It's almost impossible to be at a street for longer than ten minutes without seeing one passing by.

It's not the e-bikes that are rare, it's the charging stations. This will change for sure in a few years, but currently I see a big prevalence problem all over the world except the Netherlands and maybe Denmark.

@ fi67 THX

I know a perfect Christmas present for you or your wife. ;)

A new battery, but don't forget to charge that one too because you have the same problem as now these days.

But you can ride an e-bike even with a low battery. :lol:

I have take a look on Google and the first hit for Swiss was:

- 27 Charging stations reported on LINK

- 1 happy e-biker who found one on febr,12 2011 in Zug, Swiss

LINK

and also many nice Hotels who have an e-bike charging station located in your beautifull Swiss.

A little :huh: comment on your note: they are not standing only in The Netherlands and maybe in Denmark.

I don't agree that i'am a little bit early with my proposal because e-bike charging stations are coming, And they are coming faster than everybody thinks. All over the world.

That's why i put it first in this forum to make a discusion about it and make a little test page so all Waymarkers on this forum can get an idea how it looks like.

I didn't contact the Group Owners of the Electric Car Charging Stations (good category and also growing), because i see that as an other group and locations. I can't charge my e-bike at an e-car station here.

E-bike chargers are mostly standing on tourist and WM interesting locations. They have also a grid with a car in it. And churches and statues have there own grid and category. So why not one for a new e-bike group ?

Description of Waymarking.

" Waymarking.com provides tools for you to catalog, mark and visit interesting and useful locations around the world. "

-Catalog: You CAN'T find ALL e-bike charging stations on the internet in one click. Every manufacturer has his own. If i search for a e-bike charging station in The netherlands i must click several sites to find one nearby. If they don't made it they don't show it. So this is a good opportunity for WM to catalog them on one site.

-interesting and useful locations around the world. Thats how good Waymarking works.

Needs no further explanation i think.

Comments are still welcome.

John

Hi2all

Here is a beter version how this Category shall look like.

Let me PLZ know how it looks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We thought a number of decades ago that everything in the field of cycling was invented now, but still showed that not to be the case. In the last years there has been a very useful invention on the market, which is quickly gaining popularity: the electric bike.

Nowadays all over the world masses electric bikes are sold.

Only in The Netherlands:

2010: 166,000 e-bikes

2011: 181,000 e-bikes

Worldwide, there are now approximately 21 million electric bikes sold.

What is an electric bicycle ?

The electric bicycle is a bicycle with an electric auxiliary engine and a rechargeable battery. You can get there with and without motor drive on bikes. In China there were already very long electric bikes on the market, but this phenomenon was completely ignored in the West. That came partly because the Chinese electric bicycles were very loud and clumsy log and electric motors. In addition, they saw there not very elegant. In the West has yet picked up the idea a few years ago, and with much ingenuity and created a modern implementation of innovative technologies. That is the current electric bike, which in Netherlands and also sold very well worldwide.

How does the electric bicycle works ?

An electric bicycle is in fact very simple. The e-bike has a rechargeable battery, which can be recharged from the power outlet at home. The bike is very manageable and can be driven anywhere you go. If the motor is switched on, the bike speeds of 24 to 32 km per hour. The statutory speed limit is 25 km per hour (for The Netherlands )

The fine on an electric bicycle is the combination of own strength and help engine. Depending on the circumstances – such as physical strength, against wind and inclination – can the cyclist himself cycling, cycling with the engine or the engine to do all the work.

The electric bike the cyclist offers many advantages, which include:

.You can ride it much longer distances with less effort.

.You can get there faster with less effort at the place of destination.

.The electric bike is a great means of transport for elderly, chronically sick people and people with a slight disability.

.The electric bike is also very suitable for commuting, and lost all traffic problems.

.The electric bike is very environmentally friendly.

.The electric bike can in certain cases replace a car, and is many times cheaper than in buying and using a car.

.And so on, and so on.

Because there are people who want to make a long trip, for them we try to find as much as possible places where they can charge their electric bicycle. Electric Scooters Charging Station also allowd here.

Instructions for Posting a Waymark in this Category:

PHOTOS ARE REQUIRED.

Of course of each Electric Bike Charging Stations only one waymark is allowed.

If the Electric Bike Charging Stations Waymark already exists you can always log it (with photo's) as a 'visit'.

So always take on the location an extra photo on which can be seen that you were there.

To record a useful waymark the following is necessary:

. The Number of the Electric Bike Charging Station, if it has one of course.

. The City where the Electric Bike Charging Stations is placed (only 1 City!).

. The Coordinates of the Electric Bike Charging Stations.

. The Streetnames where the Electric Bike Charging Stations is located in the 'Short Description'.

Just have a look on the 'Google Map' to check if the location is correct.

.If you have some other info about the charging station put it in the Long Description.

.Shoot the Electric Bike Charging Stations photo 'stand-alone', so without yourself and without your GPS.

. Shoot also a photo of the surroundings on which the Electric Bike Charging Stations is visible

. Take care that on the first photo the text on the Electric Bike Charging Stations are readable.

. The Province or State where the Electric Bike Charging Stations is located.

. Upload a minimum of Two photos.

(This photo can also be used for a waymark visit if the waymark is already exist.)

. Upload the Two photos of the Electric Bike Charging Stations. Image Caption (recommended, but optional):

Post a new Electric Bike Charging Stations Waymark as follow:

. EBCS 007 - Amsterdam NL OR EBCS 24/7 - Warrensburg, NY

(Don't forget the adress in the short description.)

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

PHOTOS ARE REQUIRED.

Upload with your visit at least one (1) photo on which the owner of this waymark can see that you have been there.

We prefer a photo of the surroundings on which also the Electric Bike Charging Stations is present.

. Upload the photo of the Electric Bike Charging Stations. Image Caption (recommended, but optional):

Visits without a photo will be deleted ASAP.

Category Settings:

Waymarks can be added to this category

New waymarks of this category are reviewed by the category group prior to being published

Category is visible in the directory

Variables:

State / Province:

Address [required]: Street, City, Postal Code, Country

Free or Fee (required)

What can you charge here: (required) E-Bike, E-Scooter, E-Bike & E-Scooter.

Web Site URL: (Optional)

Area Attractions: (Optional) Special sites, attractions, activities in the area

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then follows some pictures of signs were you can charge your e-bike.

Grtz

John.

Edited by dreamhummie

That is a good start to the write-up. The only comment I have regards the photo caption requirement. I don't recall ever seeing that in a waymark category description, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Do all e-bike charging locations have a number? Just asking, since I've never seen one.

Good luck with the category!

Edited by Max and 99
The only comment I have regards the photo caption requirement. I don't recall ever seeing that in a waymark category description, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Edit it.

Do all e-bike charging locations have a number?

Don't know if they have it ALL over the world, but i'am thinking about a beter description.

Good luck with the category!

THX & Grtz John.

@ Tante.Hossi

Vielen Dank für Ihre Kommentare und Hilfe.

Sie finden Beschreibungen die sind nicht klar und brauchen eine Änderung.

Ich gehe das nog ein zweites Mal durch lesen und anpassen.

Macht mir spass.

Grusse John.

@ ALL

Good comments so far.

Thanks to everyone for your time.

I read the entire description and work it out again.

I'll be back soon.

John

Good work John,

but I'm not sure if these loading stations are interesting enough for an own category.

I remember the discussion about drinking water fountains. fi67 wrote: "Crossroads and public waste bins are also useful, all of them do not qualify for a Waymarking category."

I thought about free public showers. I've been in the north of Germany, near Stralsund and searched about hours to find a free shower, no chance. On the other hand, if you are not interested to take a shower, they are totally boring. The same for the charging stations, I have no e-bike and would never visit such a station. By the way, aren't all public sockets charging stations?

Summary:

-> boring to photograph

-> useful for people who own an e-bike

Good luck for the peer review,

-lumbricus

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been in the north of Germany, near Stralsund and searched about hours to find a free shower, no chance.

You are always welcome in Dwingeloo, N-E Netherlands for a free shower, a good meal and a Dutch beer (Bavaria).

I come back later with a bunch of good arguments. But that will be tommorow if you don't mind.

Grtz John.

And this beautiful new category "Electric Bike Charging Stations" is now in the Peer Review. :)

We still found two small typos. So which you do not make a comment about these 2.

-In the line "Some signs example where you can charge your E-Bike." the word "of" forgotten between "example" and "signs".

-The line "Instructions for Posting a Electric Bike Charging Stations Waymark" should be "an Electric Bike".

We will change this after the Peer Review because the edit link isn't working at the moment.

(If you found another plz reply)

The Officers thank you for your support and wish you Happy Waymarking.

Grtz dreamhummie, Tante.Hossi and kallehaugerne

Edited by dreamhummie

If your only entry is correct someone's choice of words please don't comment. It adds no value to the discussion.

My answer is given to the question "We still found two small typos. [...] (If you found another plz reply)". So what is wrong with my answer? It's exactly what is asked for.

Plz is not a word. It seems a typo for me.

Hans.

Sorry, but this category idea IS global. It dosn't matter if there are still only a few locations in the USA. Global means that the possibility is given to find the category's object all around the world. The category IS NOT limited only to a special region! So please do not vote against it only if there is no location near your home zone. Maybe you just have to take a deeper look and you'll find some.

I do believe it's a regional thing, but I still support the category. I test drove an e-bike last summer and was very impressed with it.

The Waymarking body truly needs to fine tune the 'Global' description in Peer Review. There are a myriad of existing categories that are interesting and informative but limited to a country or region within a country. Unfortunately, many of those categories probably wouldn't get past Peer Review today.

The Electric Bike Charging Stations category, although currently limited to mainly Europe, has great potential to spread worldwide. I actually look forward to seeing one firsthand someday. I never knew these existed until reading about them in the forum. It just goes to show how interesting and informative Waymarking as a whole has become. I have learned so much more about the world around me, particular its history, and I owe it all to the many great Waymarking categories that exist.

This category should pass with little trouble (my prediction).

BTW, I mentioned in my vote that I am willing to correct the few grammar errors in the category description if promoted to officer. You may demote me afterwards.

B)

@ ALL Thx for the latest comments in this topic and in the Peer Review.

@ thebeav69

I send you a mail about the grammer isue by the Waymarking message button. :)

It's Global Waymarkers and realy not only Europe.

OK we have 2000+ in The Netherlands.

Look in my (NOT GLOBAL) category Rijksmonumenten how many international Waymarkers has get an icon for it for posting a Dutch National Monument. :o

One of the Officers say's why would I be an Officer in your group, I have never seen one in my Country.

Now she's an Officer and working on it she sees them. If you never have an idea about them, we wake you up and you see them on open or hidden places.

Wait and see, mark my words or I will eat up my hat ( 28T4CG ), tomorrow you see one.

Grtz John.

THIS IS GLOBAL !

But what's is the problem with NONE global Waymarks ?

If I can make a person intrested for Waymarking in my town or province or country.

And I do !!!!!

They see that there is also a nice game called Geocaching on Groundspeak, maybe they like that too.

Hoppa.

Another paid Memeber for Groundspeak. They are Happy We are Happy.

Another paid Member on Geocaching helps to investing in the Waymarking server.

Why invest in Global Waymarks while you can invest in people (read money, and money helps us on Waymarking)in your own street to have a nice weekend of Waymarking.

If we accept only Global ones in a Peer Review we can't make new people

enthusiastic for Groundspeak if there are none not global ones.

But my above words has nothing to do with GLOBAL Electric Bike Charging Stations.

Keep coming with your replies now the Peer Review is running.

2115 views and 32 replies sofar in this topic.

Is it 5th place by altime read hits in the forum ????

No record by replies :lol:

Grtz John