Can I Follow Friends?

DougDawn

Not really.

But, you can sort of track them by clicking your Friends tab (daily or whatever) to see what they have been up to.

Noting that they would have more finds than before, then checking to see which ones they have gotten to....

However, I do not believe that a notifications system for such would be in the offing, such as new placement notifications.

Reason being, that new placements may be of great importance to you, and geocaching.com recognizes that.... but tracking your friends' activity is well... sort of like stalking.

Sure, you can track them as they are your friends, but by geocaching.com doing it for you (and feeding you that information) is probably an activity they wouldn't desire to be a part of. Think of it from their (geocaching.com) perspective.

Not really.

But, you can sort of track them by clicking your Friends tab (daily or whatever) to see what they have been up to.

Noting that they would have more finds than before, then checking to see which ones they have gotten to....

However, I do not believe that a notifications system for such would be in the offing, such as new placement notifications.

Reason being, that new placements may be of great importance to you, and geocaching.com recognizes that.... but tracking your friends' activity is well... sort of like stalking.

Sure, you can track them as they are your friends, but by geocaching.com doing it for you (and feeding you that information) is probably an activity they wouldn't desire to be a part of. Think of it from their (geocaching.com) perspective.

Thanks

An added benefit of the 'Friends' feature that I proposed a few years back.

Back when the 'Friends' feature basically did nothing, not that it does a whole lot today. :lol:

If my 'Friend' wants to receive notifications of my logs, and I agree to have them receive them, then why not? :unsure:

Of course, this won't sell more Premium Memberships (unless it was a PM feature!) or sell more mobile app downloads so Groundspeak is unlikely to implement it. :(

On the other hand, given the increasing number of powertrails I'm not sure I want to get 250 cut-n-paste logs when my friend runs one. :o

An added benefit of the 'Friends' feature that I proposed a few years back.

Back when the 'Friends' feature basically did nothing, not that it does a whole lot today. :lol:

If my 'Friend' wants to receive notifications of my logs, and I agree to have them receive them, then why not? :unsure:

Of course, this won't sell more Premium Memberships (unless it was a PM feature!) or sell more mobile app downloads so Groundspeak is unlikely to implement it. :(

On the other hand, given the increasing number of powertrails I'm not sure I want to get 250 cut-n-paste logs when my friend runs one. :o

Thanks

but tracking your friends' activity is well... sort of like stalking.

I stalk my friends all the time. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? :blink:

Sure... and there isn't anything wrong with that, but... I don't see geocaching.com wanting to be a part of that action. To increase the numbers of outgoing notifications because cacher A has 13 Friends; cacher B has 6 Friends; cacher Z177BY has 28 Friends... and on and on.

The system breaks enough as it is, to exponentially increase it's workload for something that one can (somewhat) easily do on their own already is a waste of resources.

Don't get me wrong as I think it would be neat but certainly not necessary.

As far as the "stalking" issue goes.... I'll admit that it's only a remote possibility. But if it were to occur, would geocaching.com want to be an integral part of the supply chain for that possibility?

<'Twas the devil in my head, working overtime that conjured that up... a couple of different scenarios>

Just make sure to check from time to time that none of your "friends" has filed for a restraining order. :anibad:

The "Friends" feature here is basically just a bookmark list of cachers you're interested in; lets you know if they've logged in recently and how many caches they've hidden and found. I wondered if they were going to add a notification feature with it, but that's all it did.

And most folks don't even know about the feature, since new memebrs have friend requests turned off by default and never get to that part of the profile.

but tracking your friends' activity is well... sort of like stalking.

I stalk my friends all the time. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? :blink:

Sure... and there isn't anything wrong with that, but... I don't see geocaching.com wanting to be a part of that action. To increase the numbers of outgoing notifications because cacher A has 13 Friends; cacher B has 6 Friends; cacher Z177BY has 28 Friends... and on and on.

The system breaks enough as it is, to exponentially increase it's workload for something that one can (somewhat) easily do on their own already is a waste of resources.

Don't get me wrong as I think it would be neat but certainly not necessary.

As far as the "stalking" issue goes.... I'll admit that it's only a remote possibility. But if it were to occur, would geocaching.com want to be an integral part of the supply chain for that possibility?

<'Twas the devil in my head, working overtime that conjured that up... a couple of different scenarios>

These have all been interesting and valid responses, Thx.