Windows 8

Since Windows 8 is "like a PC with a Tablet functionality" does Geocaching.com have an plans to update the "download to your GPS" buttons to have drivers that will interact with Windows 8 and allow downloading of files to your tablet the same way you can download to your GPSr? We would love to be able to pull up a cache and download to our handheld GPS while "on the go". Is that going to be possible? We currently have a Toshiba tablet, HTC phone, and Garmin T400. We frequently are in the hills where we get neither cell phone or much satellite service so have been using c:geo to download to tablet and phone but they do not have the same accuracy. Having checked with best buy geeks about the issue I've been told that the tablets do not have drivers to drive the transfer from tablet to GPSr. Does anyone know of any plans to address this?

Okiesusie

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why don't you download your coordinates beforehand when you still have plenty of reception?

The existing buttons don't need to be updated, if it actually works, you could download to your tablet with an additional button, but I suspect Groundspeak are waiting until the bugs are resolved before including Windows 8 into any plans.

I've been told that the tablets do not have drivers to drive the transfer from tablet to GPSr.

On my Acer Iconia A500, I can save a GPX file (or a PQ), plug the GPSr into the tablet's USB port, then copy the file to the GPSr. It's not from the App and definitely not as nice as "Send To GPS", but it could be handy at times.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why don't you download your coordinates beforehand when you still have plenty of reception?

The existing buttons don't need to be updated, if it actually works, you could download to your tablet with an additional button, but I suspect Groundspeak are waiting until the bugs are resolved before including Windows 8 into any plans.

The idea we have is to be traveling with a tablet and a GPSr. Stop in an area that has a "hotspot", use the tablet to download the coords to the GPSr using the USB cord between the tablet and the GPSr from Groundspeak. We will not have a "computer" with us to download to Gpsr and the tablet doesn't track as precisely. Hope this explains why we want the ability from Groundspeak or someone. May never to possible... I know android operating systems on a tablet don't support that kind of transfer. I was hoping since the Windows 8 in part PC that it would have that ability.

Windows 8 on tablet is totally new. As I understood there is a cheaper variant based on ARM processors which does not run any existing Intel windows software. And then there's some more expensive intel atom version which probably may run windows software. But then is the question if the Garmin USB drivers are compatible with that windows 8 hardware.

About android devices and garmin. You should be able to copy gpx-files to your garmin.

If you download a gpx file for a single cache or a pocket query on the android tablet, those file a stored in the tablets download folder. Pocket queries may be zipped but can be unzipped on the tablet by tools (I usee the total commander on android for unzipping).

There are basically two methods to transfer those gpx files to your tablet. I haven't tested any of them.

I. Set up your garmin as mass-storage Device (letting the other device access the memory card)

a) Connect the tablet via usb-cable to the garmin. Depending on the tablets usb connectors you can either use an ordinary USB cable or a "USB-To-Go" Adapter/Cable.

b ) Use a File Manager (Toshiba has one I think) to copy the gpx files to the garmin.

c) Hopefully the garmin can open the gpx files from its sd-card.

II. Take the micro-sd out of the garmin and plug it into the tablets sd-slot.

b ) Use a File Manager to copy the gpx-files. There's a chance that you are forced to use the tablets manufacturers file manager for this because tablets can be tricky with write access to FAT16/32 sd-cards.

I don't use this method because my etrex Vista Hcx can't read gpx-files.

Edited by SKAMS

Since Windows 8 is "like a PC with a Tablet functionality" does Geocaching.com have an plans to update the "download to your GPS" buttons to have drivers that will interact with Windows 8 and allow downloading of files to your tablet the same way you can download to your GPSr? We would love to be able to pull up a cache and download to our handheld GPS while "on the go". Is that going to be possible? We currently have a Toshiba tablet, HTC phone, and Garmin T400. We frequently are in the hills where we get neither cell phone or much satellite service so have been using c:geo to download to tablet and phone but they do not have the same accuracy. Having checked with best buy geeks about the issue I've been told that the tablets do not have drivers to drive the transfer from tablet to GPSr. Does anyone know of any plans to address this?

Okiesusie

3caw--

Sorry to insert an off-topic, question--but I noticed you have a Windows HTC phone. A friend of mine new to caching also has a Windows HTC and is looking for a free caching app to give the hobby a try. Where would she find caching programs (Is there a Windows App store, or a website with apps?), and could you recommend a user friendly program with features similar to iPhone's Geocaching App by Groundspeak? Thank you!!

The idea we have is to be traveling with a tablet and a GPSr. Stop in an area that has a "hotspot", use the tablet to download the coords to the GPSr using the USB cord between the tablet and the GPSr from Groundspeak. We will not have a "computer" with us to download to Gpsr and the tablet doesn't track as precisely. Hope this explains why we want the ability from Groundspeak or someone. May never to possible... I know android operating systems on a tablet don't support that kind of transfer. I was hoping since the Windows 8 in part PC that it would have that ability.

You seem to have been misled. You can hook your GPS to any of the newer tablets or android phones. I use my GalaxyS3 to load PQ's to my Montana. You just need the right cord (OTG for my galaxy or a standard one for tablets with a full port). I don't know about sending individual caches with the send to GPS button.