Jeremy and hiding a Geocache

mikemtn

The quote itself isn't on FB. It's here:

http://antiview.net/2012/11/02/geocaching-guru-jeremy-irish-wouldnt-hide-something-at-wal-mart/

And for those who don't want to follow the link, here's the last Q&A of the article:

To finish with, a hypothetical. If you could hide one last geocache, what wouldn’t it be and where wouldn’t you put it?

I wouldn’t hide a tiny geocache in a Wal-Mart parking lot under a metal lamp pole skirt. That’s not my idea of a fun adventure for anyone.

Can someone post the quote.

It was part of an interview:

Q ) "To finish with, a hypothetical. If you could hide one last geocache, what wouldn’t it be and where wouldn’t you put it?"

A ) "I wouldn’t hide a tiny geocache in a Wal-Mart parking lot under a metal lamp pole skirt. That’s not my idea of a fun adventure for anyone."

Here is a question, if you could only hide one more geocache in your life, and the only location possible was a Walmart LPC, would you do it?

I probably would, but make sure to make it unique. Maybe put a small zoo of toy animals clued down to some plywood or something.

No! Not at all! Never!

But you do whatever you want within the guidelines.

Oops, I left out the "hiding one last Geocache" part. Hope Jeremy don't sue me or something for sorta misquoting. But, I'm fairly confident that Jeremy wouldn't hide any Walmart LPC Cache.

After closer examination of the quote I believe Jeremy was saying he wouldn't hide his last or any Geocache under the mentioned conditions.

(edit to try to make sense of post)

Edited by mikemtn

Here is a question, if you could only hide one more geocache in your life, and the only location possible was a Walmart LPC, would you do it?

I probably would, but make sure to make it unique. Maybe put a small zoo of toy animals clued down to some plywood or something.

Why not? Stick a bison tube in big rubber rat and watch the fun.

Can honestly say I have never enjoyed any hides I have found in a Walmart...from the one hanging in the sewer drain in the actual lane of traffic, to the one that was very strongly attached to a power/water containment pipe that required a lot of force to remove, and to all the others.

The last type of hide I would never do? Anything remotely on/near something electric that is not obvious.

Edited by lamoracke

A rubber rat's no good. I've found some LPCs that had active wasp nests or poisonous spiders. It's no fun if it isn't authentic.

:anibad:

Q ) "To finish with, a hypothetical. If you could hide one last geocache, what wouldn’t it be and where wouldn’t you put it?"

A ) "I wouldn’t hide a tiny geocache in a Wal-Mart parking lot under a metal lamp pole skirt. That’s not my idea of a fun adventure for anyone."

Jeremy, if you are reading this, you cant speak for all of us.

The last type of hide I would never do? Anything remotely on/near something electric that is not obvious.

I found one on a power pole, and the stuff on the top of the pole was making loud electrical ZAPPING noises. So there's this box that seem attached somehow (but could be unlatched and opened in place), and the whole time, I'm thinking "Am I stupid? I must be, and everybody's been too shy to tell me. Because I'm fiddling around with a box on this defective light pole like a moron." That cache has several Favorites.

It could have been the last cache find I ever did.

Edited by kunarion

A rubber rat's no good. I've found some LPCs that had active wasp nests or poisonous spiders. It's no fun if it isn't authentic.

:anibad:

Were lucky in this area. The wasps have an almost geocaching like attitude. They don't like LPCs either. :ph34r:

Edited by Don_J

He didn't speak for all - he only shared his opinion "That's not my idea of a fun adventure for anyone." Just because you think LPC's are a "fun adventure", doesn't change how he thinks.

True. Just look at this undoctored picture of a very happy pig:

358yqzo.jpg

There is no denying the pig is happy, but how do we know that ancient GPS 5 wasn't photoshopped into the picture? :ph34r:

Speaking of photoshop, I have a request for Toz. Can you re-type J.I.'s quote, and superimpose it on a picture of a Pilgrim? I'd like to use it from time to time. :lol:

This reminded me of a cache I had completely forgotten about. I wish I could recall where it was. I know it is long gone now, but the hider made a whole diorama under the skirt and the cache was a nano in a figure in the diorama. VERY cool!

Q ) "To finish with, a hypothetical. If you could hide one last geocache, what wouldnt it be and where wouldnt you put it?"

A ) "I wouldnt hide a tiny geocache in a Wal-Mart parking lot under a metal lamp pole skirt. Thats not my idea of a fun adventure for anyone."

The irony in that statement is so sweet that my teeth hurt. :laughing:

Since every cache listed and active adds somewhere between $10 & $20 to Groundspeak's actual sale value at present. Somewhere around $30 & $40 to it's speculated but unoffered sale value. Garmin didn't park its tanks on Groundspeak's lawn for no reason at all ya know. :rolleyes:

Yep that guardrail micro I just hid is worth exactly the same as Necropolis of Britannia Manor III as listings go. B)

Edited by Snoogans

Since every cache listed and active adds somewhere between $10 & $20 to Groundspeak's actual sale value at present. Somewhere around $30 & $40 to it's speculated but unoffered sale value. Garmin didn't park its tanks on Groundspeak's lawn for no reason at all ya know. :rolleyes:

Yep that guardrail micro I just hid is worth exactly the same as Necropolis of Britannia Manor III as listings go. B)

Sorry dude, I've met these guys a couple of times. They are really into this.

They are not just out for mass quantity of caches for the bucks. They love this game. They really do want to see the quality kept up.

There is a photo somewhere of a reviewer with a gigantic clothes pin on his nose with the caption: publishing another NRV micro." Or something.

I've learned attitude comes down from the top in an organization.

Jeremy and Bryan have awesome attitudes. It shows when you meet them, but it also shows in the attitudes of those below them.

(edit for spelling)

Edited by Sol seaker

Sorry dude, I've met these guys a couple of times. They are really into this.

They are not just out for mass quantity of caches for the bucks. They love this game. They really do want to see the quality kept up.

Sorry, this is where you lost me.

Other than the quality of the physical cache container everything else is an aesthetic value.

Everyone's aesthetic is different.

I've met Jeremy several times and Bryan a couple of times and I agree that they are great guys all around but cache listings are what keep the blood pumping for Groundspeak. Let's not get sidetracked by their relative coolness. I'm sure I like them just as much as you do. It doesn't preclude me having an opinion.

My post was just about appreciating the irony. It was delicious. Now I need to go brush before I get a cavity. :anibad:

Edited by Snoogans

Do you have a reliable source for that statement? Seriously, I'm interested to know where this data is reviewable.

Thanks

While I wait for that information, I will take issue with the part of your statement that equates the value of a GRC with Britannia III. If the entire catalog of Groundspeak's caches were GRCs the enterprise would be little more than another geolocation game that uses smartphones and QR codes and be worth about as much.

While I wait for that information, I will take issue with the part of your statement that equates the value of a GRC with Britannia III. If the entire catalog of Groundspeak's caches were GRCs the enterprise would be little more than another geolocation game that uses smartphones and QR codes and be worth about as much.

I totally agree with you. I was taking a completely arbitrary view for the sake of irony. :anibad:

Do you have a reliable source for that statement? Seriously, I'm interested to know where this data is reviewable.

Thanks

Reliabe to me? Yes. I more or less believe what I heard because the figure makes perfect sense to me. Can I name the source(s)? No. Did I follow up by trying to fact check with Garmin? No. Do I think TPTB made the right choice not to sell. HECK YES! The speculated value is more true in my mind when you consider the potential for growth. If Groundspeak went public I'd buy as many shares as I could afford. It would be an emotional buy, but one I truly believe would pay off down the road, but I wouldn't care either way. My main reason for buying shares would just be to own a small piece of the action.

I totally agree with you. I was taking a completely arbitrary view for the sake of irony. :anibad:

Thanks

Reliabe to me? Yes. I more or less believe what I heard because the figure makes perfect sense to me. Can I name the source(s)? No. Did I follow up by trying to fact check with Garmin? No. Do I think TPTB made the right choice not to sell. HECK YES! The speculated value is more true in my mind when you consider the potential for growth. If Groundspeak went public I'd buy as many shares as I could afford. It would be an emotional buy, but one I truly believe would pay off down the road, but I wouldn't care either way. My main reason for buying shares would just be to own a small piece of the action.

I, obviously unlike Sol Seaker, am familiar with your cryptic reference to the prophecy of you destroying Geocaching. By the way, Snoogans isn't serious, and yes, it's funny. Very funny.

I believe I'm seeing another set of cryptic references in your posts in this thread that seem to be indicating Garmin offered Groundspeak $10-20 Million for this website? Considering the results of what Garmin went out and did instead, I don't think that would have been a very good idea. :ph34r:

I, obviously unlike Sol Seaker, am familiar with your cryptic reference to the prophecy of you destroying Geocaching. By the way, Snoogans isn't serious, and yes, it's funny. Very funny.

I will love it and love it and hug it and squeeze it... Until it don't move no more. :tired:

I believe I'm seeing another set of cryptic references in your posts in this thread that seem to be indicating Garmin offered Groundspeak $10-20 Million for this website? Considering the results of what Garmin went out and did instead, I don't think that would have been a very good idea. :ph34r:

That is the totally unsubstantiated rumor I heard in in hushed tones in a couple of places at GWX. It makes sense and all of the puzzle pieces fall into place. There's almost always some truth to a myth. If it's true and I believe it is, I'm glad they held out.

FWIW I think GS would sell for 40M to 50M and the founders would laugh all the way to the bank. I would. The whole shootin' match will probably go joo-joo-floop when the mainstream event horizon is reached. Though I hope I'm wrong. Smart money (in my eyes) retires from ownership and lets a larger entity with deeper pockets take over and handle the headaches and heartburn to follow. If the founders do eventually sell, I hope they broker a deal where they stay on as saleried employees to guide GS into a new era and to make sure the lackeys are taken care of properly. I do believe GS could handle the M.E.H. either way but who wants that headache?

I will love it and love it and hug it and squeeze it... Until it don't move no more. :tired:

That is the totally unsubstantiated rumor I heard in in hushed tones in a couple of places at GWX. It makes sense and all of the puzzle pieces fall into place. There's almost always some truth to a myth. If it's true and I believe it is, I'm glad they held out.

FWIW I think GS would sell for 40M to 50M and the founders would laugh all the way to the bank. I would. The whole shootin' match will probably go joo-joo-floop when the mainstream event horizon is reached. Though I hope I'm wrong. Smart money (in my eyes) retires from ownership and lets a larger entity with deeper pockets take over and handle the headaches and heartburn to follow. If the founders do eventually sell, I hope they broker a deal where they stay on as saleried employees to guide GS into a new era and to make sure the lackeys are taken care of properly. I do believe GS could handle the M.E.H. either way but who wants that headache?

Thanks for the F/U. Now I know how much credence to give to these speculations.

As for the MEH, I'm not sure we will ever reach it (whatever "it" is.) It has been six years since you started beating this drum. Many of the observations you and others made then about the transient nature of most new geocachers has not changed. Technology has certainly made entry into the game easier. However, there have been a number of location based games develop in the interim (see my post above for example) that have siphoned off those that are more interested in the objective than the journey or that crave a platform where they can more readily display their "achievements."

I think that geocaching will mature into something that many people will try but a much smaller number will continue to play in a variety of ways. Like my favorite activity, bicycling.

Of course, that may be some people's definition of MEH.

And perhaps all of this is wishful thinking...