Camera for Geocaching

GeePa

I have a Casio EX-H20G which I really like. The image geotagging and GPS functions on it work great, and it can even keep track of your position (sort of) inside a building without satellite reception using motion detection. And it takes pretty good pictures for a standard 14 MP point and shoot digital camera.

But since I got my Garmin Oregon 550T, I no longer use the Casio when geocaching. The Casio definitely has advantages over the Garmin camera. It takes better pictures, has a flash, optical zoom and many other features and is more fun to use. But the simple 3.2 megapixel camera on the Oregon works well enough for documenting my geocaching experiences and it does geotag the photos. So I now leave my Casio at home when I geocache ... one less thing to carry.

Edited by alandb

I have an older Nikon Coolpix camera as my "real" camera. I like it a lot when I'm planning to take photos, and can plan ahead to bring it with me. The newer Nikon Coolpix model looks like an improvement in almost every way, except for the battery. For geocaching, I'd rather have a camera that uses standard AA or AAA batteries.

But most of my photos are taken with my phone. The Nikon has better resolution, better image stabilization, optical zoom, etc., etc., etc. However, I always have my phone with me, and I don't have the Nikon with me unless I'm planning to take photos.

I have an older Nikon Coolpix camera as my "real" camera. I like it a lot when I'm planning to take photos, and can plan ahead to bring it with me. The newer Nikon Coolpix model looks like an improvement in almost every way, except for the battery. For geocaching, I'd rather have a camera that uses standard AA or AAA batteries.

But most of my photos are taken with my phone. The Nikon has better resolution, better image stabilization, optical zoom, etc., etc., etc. However, I always have my phone with me, and I don't have the Nikon with me unless I'm planning to take photos.

+1

For documenting my geocaching day, my iphone4 does a really great job. Very easy to use, sharp images, exif file, tap to focus, good in low light, super convenient because I have it with me at all times.

Say, I like that. And, it does come in a nice burnt orange color that might be easier to find if dropped. I have an old Coolpix that does a decent job (after getting repaired after wifey dumped a margarita on it on a cruise a few years ago) and a nice Canon that I don't want to subject to the elements. Use my droid phone camera quite a bit, but the photo quality varies. I might have to leave Santa a hint!

Thanks for all the helpful replies

I, like many of you, also generally use my smartphone for pictures when caching. I have just always felt that it didn't take very good pictures. Of course this could be largely due to the picture taker :anitongue: . I have been looking for something to take better pictures but I wanted something a little more rugged but that wasn't a budget buster. I agree that the camo is probably a poor choice and that a brighter color would make it harder to lose.

I didn't even know the Oregon models had a camera. Right now I just have a Vista Hcx. I have had my eye on a new eTrex 20 or 30 but I don't think those have a camera.