Oregon 450t installing maps

I read the previous posts and am totally confused. Either I am doing something totally wrong, or am expecting something I cannot have.

This is my first Garmin. Have had Magellan for years. I liked the exploits (EDIT: EXPLORIST) a lot, but unfortunately, the units are not reliable. They always froze up within a few mos and ALWAYS before a trip with planned geocaching. This time I said forget it, and went to REI for a Garmin.

I had discovered with Magellan that this great site Maps4me has almost free maps (subscription but unlimited and worth it) which worked great. Loading was drag and drop. (I had a pc which was too old to use Vantage Points upgrade so had to do things the hard way, then bought a Mac and VP isn't Mac compatible) lots of work arounds and frustration.

Unfortunately I haven't found anything like that for the Garmin. I took the unit to Zion np and it worked OK, but then, we were in a park without streets.

Navigating here at home, I am used to detailed streets with caches marked on them. All I have is the topo I paid for with the unit but find pretty useless. (REI said I can switch it out for the 450 after I try it). I did download the CA, UT, AZ file depots topo maps but Still don't get streets. I am in CA. (someone on another thread mentioned problems with CA. topo)

When I watched the tuturial videos, the map looks very different than mine.

How do I get city street maps?

All the talk about creating custom maps etc is beyond my knowledge.

I have installed the base camp, webUpDater, Map Install, Map Manager. I called Garmin for help but the guy I spoke to wasn't much help.

We are headed to China in the spring and if anyone has a recommendation of maps from there I would appreciate it, too.

I know this is a lot, but on the same idea...

One of the things I liked about the magellan is that the fields were at the bottom of the screen so I could see the destination at the top. On the Garmin, the destination is covered up by fields. Can that be changed?

Thanks

RRC

Edited by RangerRicksClan

I have a Oregon 550T which is identical to your 450T with the addition of a camera. Like you, I found the preinstalled 100K topo map to be pretty useless. Although the map was pretty complete for coverage in streets and roads, the accuracy in most places was off by 100' or more. Zoomed in, you could be standing right on the street and it would show you out in the middle of a field a half block away.

I ended up removing the Topo map and replacing it with the Open Street Map US. It does not have the topo relief lines (which I didn't really need), but its accuracy is much better than the Garmin 100K topo. I also subscribed to Garmin's BirdsEye satellite imagery. That overlays nicely with the OSM map. I use my Oregon for geocaching and hiking and this combination of maps is working well for me.

The OSM version I used was the precompiled version downloaded from this site: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download . There are 2 maps available for the US. I tried them both and had the best success with the one by Ben Konrath. It works in both BaseCamp and on the Oregon.

If you are willing to spend the $$$, Garmin's City Navigator NT North America would be the best map for street data. This is the map used on the nuvi series and it would give you routable streets, address search and Garmins complete POI data. The OSM I use does not have POI data and its address lookup is pretty clunky (getting you to the correct street, but not to a specific house number). But it is free and it works for my purposes.

Edited by alandb

As so many here have stated so many times, the pre-loaded 100K topo maps on Garmin "t" models are all but useless.

I almost exclusively use maps from GPSFileDepot. I just used the CA and AZ maps last month without issue. Make sure you have [setup | Marine | Marine Chart Mode | Off].

You will not find better Street Navigation with your Oregon 450t than Garmin City Navigator maps. If you buy on DVD, you can use the City Nav maps on your Computer (with BaseCamp) and on One GPS. If you purchase the uSD card version, you can move the uSD card from one GPS to another, but you can not load the maps to your computer, and the uSD card versions generally have less detail/POI information than the DVD version.

Use the Automotive Profile for City Nav street navigation, and the Recreational Profile for your Topo Maps.

I have a Oregon 550T which is identical to your 450T with the addition of a camera. Like you, I found the preinstalled 100K topo map to be pretty useless. Although the map was pretty complete for coverage in streets and roads, the accuracy in most places was off by 100' or more. Zoomed in, you could be standing right on the street and it would show you out in the middle of a field a half block away.

I ended up removing the Topo map and replacing it with the Open Street Map US. It does not have the topo relief lines (which I didn't really need), but its accuracy is much better than the Garmin 100K topo. I also subscribed to Garmin's BirdsEye satellite imagery. That overlays nicely with the OSM map. I use my Oregon for geocaching and hiking and this combination of maps is working well for me.

The OSM version I used was the precompiled version downloaded from this site: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download . There are 2 maps available for the US. I tried them both and had the best success with the one by Ben Konrath. It works in both BaseCamp and on the Oregon.

If you are willing to spend the $$$, Garmin's City Navigator NT North America would be the best map for street data. This is the map used on the nuvi series and it would give you routable streets, address search and Garmins complete POI data. The OSM I use does not have POI data and its address lookup is pretty clunky (getting you to the correct street, but not to a specific house number). But it is free and it works for my purposes.

Thanks. I will look into those. I guess I was confused thinking a 100k map was really good, better than the 24k...go figure. I have no need for street navigation, we have car gps's AND iphones which just updated to a great spoken navigation. I just want to see where i am and where I am going.

I am tinkering with the open street maps. Set up and downloaded to email CA, and China. Now to figure out what to do with the links they sent me....I also don't get how to 'overlay' which I keep reading about. Is that having more than 1 map at a time checked as enabled?

Birds Eye is something I don't know enough about, just more money for now, but will look into it.

I guess I am just having a hard time switching over to learn new ways of doing things. :{

As so many here have stated so many times, the pre-loaded 100K topo maps on Garmin "t" models are all but useless.

I almost exclusively use maps from GPSFileDepot. I just used the CA and AZ maps last month without issue. Make sure you have [setup | Marine | Marine Chart Mode | Off].

You will not find better Street Navigation with your Oregon 450t than Garmin City Navigator maps. If you buy on DVD, you can use the City Nav maps on your Computer (with BaseCamp) and on One GPS. If you purchase the uSD card version, you can move the uSD card from one GPS to another, but you can not load the maps to your computer, and the uSD card versions generally have less detail/POI information than the DVD version.

Use the Automotive Profile for City Nav street navigation, and the Recreational Profile for your Topo Maps.

Thank you,

The maps "recommended" from gpsfiledepot I downloaded for AZ and UT were the same as CA...all topo and pretty useless. I wonder if I am getting the wrong ones? All I see are topo lines. I can't even find my street where I am.

Thanks, I just turned marine chart mode from Fishing to Off...I was experimenting while on lake powell... but got nothing. No difference there. I have lots of profiles, but don't see how to choose one particular one. in setting/profile/ They all say edit/move/delete. Not choose one. I made a geocaching one, but it is no different.

You know how sometimes you buy a product and spend forever trying to figure out how to work it and find out it is defective? :} (Or is it me? ) I had a microchip for my magellan that for 2 years couldn't figure out why I couldn't store maps on it only to find out the chip was defective. I took it to Staples and had them try and read it. Nothing.

I find the garmin video helps very basic stuff and the manual still doesn't answer questions on how to do this and that.

In fact, I had to ask Garmin 3x how to use my unit powered by the computer or car, and not use up batts when I am on it so much fiddling. First 2 people said only batteries are usable. The last person told me about Mass Storage mode. :} That buys me time to fiddle and not go thru batteries!

I have so many questions....keeping a list.

Any more ideas are certainly welcome. Or recommendations as to where better tutorials are?

Thanks.

rrc

Thank you,

The maps "recommended" from gpsfiledepot I downloaded for AZ and UT were the same as CA...all topo and pretty useless. I wonder if I am getting the wrong ones? All I see are topo lines. I can't even find my street where I am.

Thanks, I just turned marine chart mode from Fishing to Off...I was experimenting while on lake powell... but got nothing. No difference there.

Those Topo's do have streets, roads, etc. what is your zoom level? Have you adjusted the zoom levels for the map screen?

I have lots of profiles, but don't see how to choose one particular one. in setting/profile/ They all say edit/move/delete. Not choose one. I made a geocaching one, but it is no different.

You have to use the [Profile Change] button from the Main menu to change from one Profile to another.

You know how sometimes you buy a product and spend forever trying to figure out how to work it and find out it is defective? :} (Or is it me? )

This time, I think maybe yes :)

Edited by Atlas Cached

Thanks. I will look into those. I guess I was confused thinking a 100k map was really good, better than the 24k...go figure. I have no need for street navigation, we have car gps's AND iphones which just updated to a great spoken navigation. I just want to see where i am and where I am going.

I am tinkering with the open street maps. Set up and downloaded to email CA, and China. Now to figure out what to do with the links they sent me....I also don't get how to 'overlay' which I keep reading about. Is that having more than 1 map at a time checked as enabled?

Birds Eye is something I don't know enough about, just more money for now, but will look into it.

I guess I am just having a hard time switching over to learn new ways of doing things. :{

Here are a couple of screen captures from my Oregon 550 showing how the combination of Open Street Map US overlaid with Garmins Birdseye satellite image looks. Hopefully this will help you get an idea of what these maps are like when used together.

1008_zps036f0b16.jpg989_zps1ae5e296.jpg

Edited by alandb

Thank you,

Thanks, I just turned marine chart mode from Fishing to Off...I was experimenting while on lake powell... but got nothing. No difference there.

Those Topo's do have streets, roads, etc. what is your zoom level? Have you adjusted the zoom levels for the map screen?

Changing Zoom to on, and auto, no difference

I have lots of profiles, but don't see how to choose one particular one. in setting/profile/ They all say edit/move/delete. Not choose one. I made a geocaching one, but it is no different.

You have to use the [Profile Change] button from the Main menu to change from one Profile to another.

Thansk. I did it. I now can see green background unless I zoom then it is brown. Topo, river, rr tracks. Still no streets.

You know how sometimes you buy a product and spend forever trying to figure out how to work it and find out it is defective? :} (Or is it me? )

This time, I think maybe yes :)

Automotive gave me a very messy street. The folks at Garmin told me to turn off Automotive, among other settings, when I called for help for something or another....so I didn't think to turn it back on. Strangely, all my disabled maps became enabled on their own. When I chose go to a local park, I get a message that maps don't have routable roads to the area.

Thanks, I just turned marine chart mode from Fishing to Off...I was experimenting while on lake powell... but got nothing. No difference there. I have lots of profiles, but don't see how to choose one particular one. in setting/profile/ They all say edit/move/delete. Not choose one. I made a geocaching one, but it is no different.

You know how sometimes you buy a product and spend forever trying to figure out how to work it and find out it is defective? :} (Or is it me? ) I had a microchip for my magellan that for 2 years couldn't figure out why I couldn't store maps on it only to find out the chip was defective. I took it to Staples and had them try and read it. Nothing.

I find the garmin video helps very basic stuff and the manual still doesn't answer questions on how to do this and that.

In fact, I had to ask Garmin 3x how to use my unit powered by the computer or car, and not use up batts when I am on it so much fiddling. First 2 people said only batteries are usable. The last person told me about Mass Storage mode. :} That buys me time to fiddle and not go thru batteries!

I have so many questions....keeping a list.

Any more ideas are certainly welcome. Or recommendations as to where better tutorials are?

Thanks.

rrc

Here are a couple of screen captures from my Oregon 550 showing how the combination of Open Street Map US overlaid with Garmins Birdseye satellite image looks. Hopefully this will help you get an idea of what these maps are like when used together.

1008_zps036f0b16.jpg989_zps1ae5e296.jpg

Wouldn't THAT be nice to see!

Most maps from GPSfiledepot are not routable, so you won't be able to do much "searching" on your GPSr with those maps. Some maps from GPSfiledepot are "transparent". This means that they have a limited amount of detail, and are meant to overlay (show their data on) other maps. I posted some transparent topos there, Northern AZ and Southern UT. They only had topo, hydro, and trees, and were meant to overlay a routable map like City Navigator. Generally, the map download page will provide this type of information.

Most maps from GPSfiledepot are not routable, so you won't be able to do much "searching" on your GPSr with those maps. Some maps from GPSfiledepot are "transparent". This means that they have a limited amount of detail, and are meant to overlay (show their data on) other maps. I posted some transparent topos there, Northern AZ and Southern UT. They only had topo, hydro, and trees, and were meant to overlay a routable map like City Navigator. Generally, the map download page will provide this type of information.

Thank you for explanation. I am finally seeing the picture. Maybe the recommended maps aren't the right ones for me.

Thank you for explanation. I am finally seeing the picture. Maybe the recommended maps aren't the right ones for me.

It might help if you said a little more about your map needs. I assume you are somewhere in the southwest US, or planning to go there.

If you are interested in Southwest National Parks, there is a map called Desert Southwest at GPSfileDepot that is a contiguous routable map that extends from Death Valley to Mesa Verde and Arches to Petrified Forest. It also includes Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and Canyonlands. Data on the map are topo, roads and trails, land ownership, wooded areas, and hydro.

Edited by seldom_sn

We are leaving in a month and I am once again back at it. (this went on the back burner for awhile)

I have a Garmin oregon 450t and a MAC.

I need a map for geocaching in China, and don't want to pay for one.

There MUST be an easy 'how to' install maps rather than a dozen steps it it taking me to load state and simple maps and I haven't found a compatible china map I can open/unzip/ or load.