Caches on College Campus?

Ahern Clan

I thought it was against Groundspeak policy to place caches on educational facilities? I found this article (link below) on San Diego State University and geocaching.

6.Geocaches are not placed in restricted, prohibited or otherwise inappropriate locations.

Additional regulations and laws that apply only to your country and region may further restrict cache placement. A cache may be disabled or archived if one or more of the following is true. Please note that the list is not exhaustive; there are many reasons why a cache may be disabled or archived.

1.If your cache is reported by the land owner or land manager as being an unwanted intrusion, Groundspeak will respect the wishes of the land owner or manager.

2.The cache placement is in an area that is highly sensitive to additional foot and/or vehicular traffic including, but not limited to, archaeological sites, historical sites and cemeteries. Note that some cemeteries permit cache placement.

3.The cache is on property belonging to a railroad. In the United States we generally require a distance of 150 ft (46 m) from active tracks. Local laws may vary.

4.The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

My link\

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't doubt most are placed without permission, but it seems to be A-OK to place caches on College Campuses. I can remember finding my first one on a State College's nature trail, and I just looked, and that sucker is still there 9 years later, and being found regularly.

I don't want to be a wise guy, and say you must not get out much, but at least here in what Groundspeak defines as the Mid-Atlantic region, you'd be hard pressed to find a college that doesn't have caches. :)

Here is the distinction.

Schools, meaning K-12 in the US, are protective of their students. Teachers, administrators and parents tend to be very suspicious of strangers prowling their grounds and schools sometimes get locked down and the police called in when a suspicious stranger is on the grounds.

College campuses are often open to the general public, so in most cases someone wandering the grounds would not arouse suspicion.

Here is the distinction.

Schools, meaning K-12 in the US, are protective of their students. Teachers, administrators and parents tend to be very suspicious of strangers prowling their grounds and schools sometimes get locked down and the police called in when a suspicious stranger is on the grounds.

College campuses are often open to the general public, so in most cases someone wandering the grounds would not arouse suspicion.

Sounds good to me, and I really never thought twice about college/university campus caches. This summer, I found two caches on a campus of a mid-atlantic college that were placed by an employee of the security department. He said so on the one cache page where the cache was right outside his office. Yep, the cache is 10 feet from the Campus security building. :D

That being said, the linked article says "there are geocaches on the San Diego State University Campus". That's probably news to some in SDSU Campus Security. :ph34r:

Here is the distinction.

Exactly. And as a protective parent, I'm glad to see that these rules are enforced here. :)

Or published with explicit permission from the school?

I've seen some that are part of a school's science class project on a part of the property that won't cause concerns. I think they are a bad idea and wouldn't recommend them, but it might be hard for a volunteer reviewer to deny something if the principal signs off on it.

I'm not a parent, but think that there is a big difference between strangers wandering an elementary, middle, or high school property vs. being on a college campus.

One of my favorites of all times is a puzzle on a local university campus that ends up in the library, and I adopted one that is on the same campus a few years back.

Edited by wimseyguy

Published in 2004. I doubt it would be published today.

There are (or were, I didn't check) 4 caches at an elementary school near my work, placed by a teacher, with permission of the principal. The cache pages definitely say do not go during school hours. Being that my work is 20 miles from home, I explicitly remember finding two on MLK's Birthday one year, and the other two on Presidents day. :P

Hey, the most interesting cache on a college campus? Anyone hear about the statue of Joe Paterno that was removed from the Penn State campus about 6 months ago, and put into storage? It was a virtual cache! Anyone got a link? I wouldn't know where to look, seeing as it's been archived.

I hate to be a party pooper, but someone local could post a NM to that"But not everywhere" cache pointed out above. It would make me uncomforatble to hunt, let alone to see someone lurking without permission at a school. It might be nice for future cache hunters to know that the staff know it is there. Or, at least, edit the page to say that it should be visited when school isn't in session.

JM2C

I just grabbed a couple last weekend on the campus of the Ohio State University. One was a Virtual :D

I think you mean THE Ohio State University :)

There are quite a few on the Cornell campus as well. A few at University of Rochester, used to be one at Nazareth college, several at Hobart & William Smith and Skidmore College too. As noted earlier in the thread, it's quite possible that the university knows about them (and if they didn't before, they do now that it's been in the student newspaper) and has granted permission, and university campuses are much different from elementary schools.

I just grabbed a couple last weekend on the campus of the Ohio State University. One was a Virtual :D

There are quite a few on the Cornell campus as well.

Cornell owns a huge amount of land in the area not on the contiguous main campus and much of it is designated as natural areas. I asked about these areas once and was told that unless they're otherwise posted they're generally open to the public. Some of them have some nice trail systems and are wonderful areas for geocaching. I didn't know it until yesterday, when I got several finds on one of my caches that's on Cornell property, but apparently the Cornell Outdoor Education department has a for credit Geocaching course.

Or published with explicit permission from the school?

I've seen some that are part of a school's science class project on a part of the property that won't cause concerns. I think they are a bad idea and wouldn't recommend them, but it might be hard for a volunteer reviewer to deny something if the principal signs off on it.

I have seen a few that were part of some learning project at an elementary or middle school. I guess I have mixed feelings about this. Sure don't want to freak everyone out about "suspicious" folks searching around the area. However, if parents and school employees know that a cache is in a particular area, they might feel like they can at least "police" a relatively small area and know it is (hopefully) a cacher. If I were a teacher looking to do this as part of a school project, you can bet it would be a pretty big, interesting, and easy-to-find container!

Yes, I think I was losing my mind from the "cache fatigue" :P THE (10-0) Ohio State University!!!!

I have seen a few that were part of some learning project at an elementary or middle school. I guess I have mixed feelings about this. Sure don't want to freak everyone out about "suspicious" folks searching around the area. However, if parents and school employees know that a cache is in a particular area, they might feel like they can at least "police" a relatively small area and know it is (hopefully) a cacher. If I were a teacher looking to do this as part of a school project, you can bet it would be a pretty big, interesting, and easy-to-find container!

Indeed. I visited GCY8EH some time ago; it's on the property of a middle school, run by one of the teachers. However, it's on the extreme corner of the property, adjacent to the street and as far away from the buildings as possible. Anyone trying to find the cache wouldn't come anywhere near a school building, and so wouldn't be seen as a threat to the school. (I couldn't find it when I visited ... it was unavailable at that time due to construction in the area.)

And, yes, colleges are OK for caches. I own two caches on a local university campus --- after getting the appropriate permissions, of course. My reviewer knew it was on a university campus and had no problems with it being there.

Not sure why anyone would even think placing a cache on a college campus (with permission) would be an issue, with a few exceptions, college students are adults. No one thinks twice about putting caches anywhere else adults congregate, why would a college campus be any different?

I think those who are concerned are worried about the Groundspeak rule that says you can't place a cache on the grounds of a "school". Colleges and universities are "schools", but of a wholly different character than elementary and secondary schools. Since the term "school" isn't well defined ... it can lead to some confusion or concern.

Not sure why anyone would even think placing a cache on a college campus (with permission) would be an issue, with a few exceptions, college students are adults. No one thinks twice about putting caches anywhere else adults congregate, why would a college campus be any different?

Well Virginia Tech in 2007 comes to mind. Also, 'schools' is not clarified in Groundspeak's definition so from my belief a higher education facility is still a school. Some are even 'public' buildings so when you look at the guideline that would apply as well, IMO.

Obviously I am in the minority here thinking that a college campus is a school. There are places where adults 'congregate' but placing caches aren't permitted or maybe not wise to do so.

[

Well Virginia Tech in 2007 comes to mind. Also, 'schools' is not clarified in Groundspeak's definition so from my belief a higher education facility is still a school. Some are even 'public' buildings so when you look at the guideline that would apply as well, IMO.

Obviously I am in the minority here thinking that a college campus is a school. There are places where adults 'congregate' but placing caches aren't permitted or maybe not wise to do so.

I guess I just don't see the ambiguity in the rule, I understand why you can't and shouldn't but a cache near a high school, middle school, and elementary school, but a college or university is different. If you go through the proper channels to get permission to place a cache on a college or university's property, it is almost certain they have already considered the issue of security. And as far as Virginia Tech, that was a completely deplorable and heinous act, however GS isn't making rules against placing cache at movie theaters, Sikhs, malls, or workplaces based on the fact that there was a mass shooting. I guess my original point was more of a social point that coincided with a geocaching point, college students are adults, lets treat them as such.

Cornell owns a huge amount of land in the area not on the contiguous main campus and much of it is designated as natural areas. I asked about these areas once and was told that unless they're otherwise posted they're generally open to the public. Some of them have some nice trail systems and are wonderful areas for geocaching. I didn't know it until yesterday, when I got several finds on one of my caches that's on Cornell property, but apparently the Cornell Outdoor Education department has a for credit Geocaching course.

Wow!

I would think that college caches are ok. Here in my area we have a major university that covers A LOT of the city area, technically. It also covers the local hospital, as it is part of the university due to the medical school. If they were to eliminate all of the caches in the area, then we would have a BIG hole in the middle of town. There are a lot of caches hidden around the area. Many are some good ones.

Just use common sense. I think that there should be some things that are not allowed. BUt if you tak eyou time and make it worth the trip to the area, or make it a challange, then it should be OK.

There is only one cache at USC. Starting 1/1/13, you'll have to find it before 9PM as new security rules will close the campus to students and those with passes only.

I think that the big difference here, besides the fact that adults, not children attend college, is that the campus' are generally open to the public and the college wants the public to use the facilities. Public and private schools for children are generally closed to the public.

Edited by Don_J

There are several on the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville campus. We have the largest campus based on square acreage in the country and use very little of it to be honest. There is one right in the middle of the quad which is very fun to get at with muggles around! Some are in the bike/walking trails nearby and some are in the botanical garden! Point is, if you get permission from the University, knock yourself out. Although I know if some caches are found, students can be known to abuse them. Once cache on campus was closed because the students had urinated in the cache itself...sigh... *SMH* Probably best to hid the small ones so they are less likely to get abused in that manner!! LOL!

Hi Everyone, :)

I think I can contribute a little on this topic--I am currently a staff member on a public university campus in North Texas (won't be hard to figure out which one if you look at my recent finds), and I have placed caches on two different campuses. I have found no resistance to these caches, except that some cachers can be uncomfortable, particularly when caches are located next to areas where they don't blend in very well, such as near residence halls (dorms). I have noticed that university police tend to be fairly well versed in geocaching, as colleges and universities are hot spots for caches due to their often unique architecture, outdoor features, etc. Some of my favorite caches are on college campuses, and I think that just as long as students, faculty, staff, and facilities are being respected, caches on campuses will continue. :)

We have enjoyed finding caches on several college campuses. My son is a professor at Colgate, and the campus has a number of caches placed by their Outdoor Adventure Club, as well as some others placed by individuals. I do suggest that, due to the shortage and restricted parking regulations on many campuses, you include a waypoint for visitor parking on campus so cachers won't be ticketed!

The replies have been interesting as well as informative. I appreciate the insight which has given me a different perspective despite my interpretation of the guidelines.

Personally I might feel a little uncomfortable going onto a campus, but that's probably because I think about the potential for being confronted by security or law enforcement inquiring as to my business on the property. And no, I am not afraid of the police (but I am sure someone here will think that because of my comment). Seeing as I've never tried it I may give it a shot and see how it fares.

The replies have been interesting as well as informative. I appreciate the insight which has given me a different perspective despite my interpretation of the guidelines.

Personally I might feel a little uncomfortable going onto a campus, but that's probably because I think about the potential for being confronted by security or law enforcement inquiring as to my business on the property. And no, I am not afraid of the police (but I am sure someone here will think that because of my comment). Seeing as I've never tried it I may give it a shot and see how it fares.

Thanks for coming back! Oh believe me, I know what you're talking about there. I'm 6' 200 lbs., with a perpetual military brush cut, and said to be generally mean looking. I've been stopped by law enforcement at least 5 times while Geocaching. Once I was detained for 15 minutes, and there were 6 squad cars present. Once when I got stopped in a Town near me, the cop called in my plate number, and they had a record of me being questioned for Geocaching 2 or 3 years prior in the same town. Your concerns on campus are definitely valid.

There are a good 20 or so caches on the campus of Ohio State. Whether you agree with the Groundspeak rules or not there are some good caches that tie in to the school (i.e. geology dept/earthcaches., etc.) that make them relevant to the area. BTW, I find it useful to make the grabs on bike since parking on a college campus is like a living in a Nazi state these days.