Geocoins specific to Wa

KJKBrader

Ive done the usual Google, EBay and web search looking for coins that are specifically themed to Washington State and have come up with the HQ spinner and the two sets currently for sale at the shop. Im curious to know if there are more out there available right now or if a Washington themed coin is just not that popular... We got into Geocaching a few months ago and are hooked! The next logical step is to start collecting coins and this is were we would like to start :) Any help or a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated!

As already mentioned the WSGA has done lots of Washington themed coins over the years. You can see a gallery of them here. Most have sold out, though the sun catcher design from 2011 is still available.

If you've got an idea for a Washington themed coin the design contest for the WSGA 2013 coin is currently underway. See here for more info.

Others have released some great Washington coins as well -- there were a whole bunch done in 2010 for Geowoodstock 8 in Carnation. One that I think is still available is Suckerish's Washington design -- try contacting her to see if she's still got any.

I was looking up coins I have discovered or moved and seeing if any of them have a Washington state reference besides the WSGA ones. I see these..

Tri-Cities Geocachers Geocoins

Mount Rainer Benchmark Geocoins (sadly spelled wrong)

Yakima Valley Museum-Neon Garden Geocoins

Mt Rainier Geocoins

GW Seattle '10 Geocoins

Washington Peace Geocoins

Sleepless in Seattle Geocoins

San Juan Island Geocaching Adventure Geocoins

Washington State Spinner Geocoins

I excluded ones for the A.P.E., Block Party, Woodstock (minus the one above which said Seattle), specific events, or Groundspeak itself.

Edited by lamoracke

Thanks for all the help setting me off in the right direction as where to start looking and also a list of some coins go look up for availability. Im only starting collecting and am awed at all the interesting coins people have created. Forty-n-Eight's coins are the first I came across with a Washington theme and are why I decided to start collecting :)

Thanks for all the help setting me off in the right direction as where to start looking and also a list of some coins go look up for availability. Im only starting collecting and am awed at all the interesting coins people have created. Forty-n-Eight's coins are the first I came across with a Washington theme and are why I decided to start collecting :)

yeah, his would be the best pure "Washington" coins and probably the best ones to represent the state of what is out there. I could not remember the image on the back, could not remember if they were just plain George Washington / regular quarter ones or had WA theme or not for that post.

This is a good topic for me right now, because I'm wanting to buy a WA State themed geo-coin for an out-of-state geocacher.

You've given me some ideas, but if anyone has any other ideas that are good for gifts, then please let me know.

Thanks!

This cacher is a geo-coin collector so I want something special, but still reasonably priced.