Gps's for starters

Guest H Bunzey

Guest H Bunzey

Can you tell me what GPS would be best for a family of 6 that is new to geocaching and needs a lower cost unit that performs well in and out of tree cover. I am more than willing to buy a used one that works of course so if any of you know where I might find one let me know. We love adventure and hike a lot and thought this would be a great Christmas surprise but I am getting a lot of different information. I cannot spend a lot either with our budget and I know they can get quite expensive. I don't want to get one though that won't adequately work in the woods. Thanks I really need your recommendations.

Guest Team Wyle E

Welcome to the world of GPSR!

I'm prejudiced - and really like my Garmin. I had a GPS III+ and recently sold it, and upgraded to a Garmin GPS V. The III+ works great, and you can buy it new for around $300. However, since many people (like me) upgraded to the new version, you can find the III+ for about $200 (eBay has one now for $125).

I liked the III+ because it does do great under trees, and you can upload city and topographical maps into it. I used for hiking, and off-roading, in addition to geocaching. Of course, you need to use Garmin's mapping software for the loading of maps, and that costs more $$.

I'm sure others will tell you about their

brand, which I'm sure are also good.

------------------

Larry Farquhar

http://www.azjeeper.com

H Bunzey,

Welcome to geocaching. I have been caching since May and I use a $140+/- garmin 12. It does pretty good in dense cover. It's served me great these past months. Now that I'm learning more I'd like some more bells and whistles but not necessarily for geocaching. You don't have to spend a whole lot of money on a unit to be able to find the caches. Here in the NY area the cacher with the most finds(235)uses the little yellow $99 etrex so don't kid yourself, it can be done without laying out a fortune. Good Luck and have fun!

Tina

H Bunzey

welcome to geocaching.A good little unit that will go for $99.00 in the states is the Magellan GPS310.Lately I'm seeing that these unit comes with a mail in coupon for a cable to connect to a PC to manage your waypoints.I myself am using a Magellan GPS315.It goes for around $50.00 more in the states.Performes real well in the bush.At the moment I'm looking for 2 unit like the 310 to give to my boys for XMas.That way here they will leave mine alone.Went on eBay no luck on being the highest bidder.They go for on eBay $10.00 shy off the price of a new unit,plus the shipping.Not a good deal at all.Just couple of weeks before XMas,I'm going get new ones with warranty.Read up on all the units out there and compare.Good luck on your purchase and enjoy this new sport of Geocaching.

The MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

H Bunzey

welcome to geocaching.A good little unit that will go for $99.00 in the states is the Magellan GPS310.Lately I'm seeing that these unit comes with a mail in coupon for a cable to connect to a PC to manage your waypoints.I myself am using a Magellan GPS315.It goes for around $50.00 more in the states.Performes real well in the bush.At the moment I'm looking for 2 unit like the 310 to give to my boys for XMas.That way here they will leave mine alone.Went on eBay no luck on being the highest bidder.They go for on eBay $10.00 shy off the price of a new unit,plus the shipping.Not a good deal at all.Just couple of weeks before XMas,I'm going get new ones with warranty.Read up on all the units out there and compare.Good luck on your purchase and enjoy this new sport of Geocaching.

The MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif