Event Guidelines - Publishing caches for the event

Malmis

There is a discussion in a Swedish geocaching forum about the event guidelines, saying that that you are not allowed to write in the event description that you are going to publish new geocaches for the event.

The guidelines for event says: "An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list."

In Sweden it's very common with a part of the event which involves geocaching hunt. But there are also parts where we hang out to discuss geocaching etc.

Should we interpret the guidelines that we should not do this on our events?

What are we allowed to do on a event? Should we just get together and stare at each other? Where's the fun part in that...? (we could have some flashmob events in like 1 minute or so, but what else?)

Is the geocaching part allowed?

Is the release of geocaches for a event allowed?

There is a discussion in a Swedish geocaching forum about the event guidelines, saying that that you are not allowed to write in the event description that you are going to publish new geocaches for the event.

The guidelines for event says: "An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list."

In Sweden it's very common with a part of the event which involves geocaching hunt. But there are also parts where we hang out to discuss geocaching etc.

What are we allowed to do on a event? Should we just get together and stare at each other? Where's the fun part in that...? (we could have some flashmob events in like 1 minute or so, but what else?)

I believe that this means that events shouldn't be published for each and every outing a group makes together for geocaches. (Think "Friday Night Cache Hunt") Those types of "get togethers" which happen regularly shouldn't be recurring "event" caches.

There is nothing, however, that says you can't have a flash-mob event, and then invite everyone to go find some caches later. But be aware that if you do this every week, it isn't going to fly.

That's my best guess, based on what I experienced with our local geocaching association when I lived in Minnesota, USA.

I've seen caches published in time for an event before now and we have hosted an event in the past where we stated in the listing that we would possibly hide caches. As far as I know both of those are fine.

I think the key word in that guideline is 'sole'. Is there an other element to the event besides looking for the caches you hid for that event? If you're getting together to talk about caching, swap geocoins, share stories - oh, and there will be some new caches to look for, then I would think that's fine. If you post an event saying "let's all go and look for these geocaches", then that probably wouldn't be.

I'd like to hear what the official line is though, if any reviewers are reading :unsure:

I believe that this means that events shouldn't be published for each and every outing a group makes together for geocaches. (Think "Friday Night Cache Hunt") Those types of "get togethers" which happen regularly shouldn't be recurring "event" caches.

There is nothing, however, that says you can't have a flash-mob event, and then invite everyone to go find some caches later. But be aware that if you do this every week, it isn't going to fly.

That's my best guess, based on what I experienced with our local geocaching association when I lived in Minnesota, USA.

Sure, i can understand that the guideline is to prevent those kind of get togethers.

But the reviewers have not accepted event caches where there is information in the event description about a release of geocacher for the actual event.

Like when there is a schedule like this: "10.00 - Event starts, 10.30 - Geocache release no.1, 11.30 - Reunion at the event place, 12.00 - Geocache release no.2, 12.30 - Reunion with bbq at the event place"

Or like: "We are going to release 20 geocaches during the event.".

Sure, i can understand that the guideline is to prevent those kind of get togethers.

But the reviewers have not accepted event caches where there is information in the event description about a release of geocacher for the actual event.

Like when there is a schedule like this: "10.00 - Event starts, 10.30 - Geocache release no.1, 11.30 - Reunion at the event place, 12.00 - Geocache release no.2, 12.30 - Reunion with bbq at the event place"

I've heard about that restriction lately. I'm not sure what the deal is. Perhaps your Reviewer can provide their take on it, as Volunteer Reviewers vary greatly in their interpretation of the guidelines.

I've heard about that restriction lately. I'm not sure what the deal is. Perhaps your Reviewer can provide their take on it, as Volunteer Reviewers vary greatly in their interpretation of the guidelines.

I have had this problem a few times, but mostly with the "We are going to release 20 geocaches during the event." in the description. The schedule have not been any problem for me, but seems like there may have been some problems for others trying to publish events.

Edited by Malmis

I suggest that the main part of the event listing should emphasise the 'social gathering part' of the event - To meet other geocachers, talk, exchange trackables, maybe food/drink. Events are suppose to be mainly for 'getting togethers' not 'all dashing off separately in various directions to get FTFs'.

Here in UK many events have caches published specially for the event day but it is mentioned only briefly on the event page, e.g. "We have set some new caches which will be published at midday..."

MrsB

Here in UK many events have caches published specially for the event day but it is mentioned only briefly on the event page, e.g. "We have set some new caches which will be published at midday..."

That's how I've been doing it here in my corner of the USA, beginning with my very first weekend as a cache reviewer in May 2003. There are already several caches lined up for publication around a breakfast event two weeks from now.

More problematic is the concept of timed "batch releases" of caches on a schedule throughout the day. There is limited opportunity for socializing in between the FTF frenzies. That sounds more like an organized cache hunt.

That's how I've been doing it here in my corner of the USA, beginning with my very first weekend as a cache reviewer in May 2003. There are already several caches lined up for publication around a breakfast event two weeks from now.

More problematic is the concept of timed "batch releases" of caches on a schedule throughout the day. There is limited opportunity for socializing in between the FTF frenzies. That sounds more like an organized cache hunt.

Why would an organized cache hunt be wrong if it's between the social parts? It have been a VERY popular concept at those event i have been host for and also others that i've attended.

Why would an organized cache hunt be wrong if it's between the social parts? It have been a VERY popular concept at those event i have been host for and also others that i've attended.

Because the cache hunts will tend to overshadow the social aspect of the event. I have stopped releasing caches just before/during my annual summer event cache. I want to meet and socialize. Not watch people dart off looking for new cahces, hoping to grab a FTF.

Because the cache hunts will tend to overshadow the social aspect of the event. I have stopped releasing caches just before/during my annual summer event cache. I want to meet and socialize. Not watch people dart off looking for new cahces, hoping to grab a FTF.

I can't really agree with that.

I can't really agree with that.

You can disagree, but I've seen it happen.

I'm with you on that. I've been to too many events where I never encountered a significant portion of the attendees because they were off hunting caches all day. To me it corrupts the entire point of events, which is to meet and socialize. Sadly, it seems it seems that these days you need to hide new caches in the area if you want to encourage attendance at your event. The opportunity to socialize is no longer encouragement enough. Another unfortunate piece of fallout from the numbers obsession.

Edited by briansnat

Sadly, it seems it seems that these days you need to hide new caches in the area if you want to encourage attendance at your event. The opportunity to socialize is no longer encouragement enough. Another unfortunate piece of fallout from the numbers obsession.

To help brighten your day, I'll let you know that the events in this area NEVER have new caches placed in conjunction with the event. We do have an annual cache-placement event, but the caches are published at the beginning of February and the actual social event isn't until the beginning of March, so it isn't really the same as what's being discussed here (caches published on the day of the event). The events around here are all about socializing, as they should be.

I think the problem is with the schedule. It suggests that at those times, attendees are expected to be hunting caches and no socializing will be happening. A lot depends on your wording. As soon as it starts to sound like the most important part of the event is finding caches, it won't be allowed.

Sadly, it seems it seems that these days you need to hide new caches in the area if you want to encourage attendance at your event. The opportunity to socialize is no longer encouragement enough. Another unfortunate piece of fallout from the numbers obsession.

To help brighten your day, I'll let you know that the events in this area NEVER have new caches placed in conjunction with the event. We do have an annual cache-placement event, but the caches are published at the beginning of February and the actual social event isn't until the beginning of March, so it isn't really the same as what's being discussed here (caches published on the day of the event). The events around here are all about socializing, as they should be.

Two different events I have attended. The first one, about 30 caches were released on Friday night. The event was at 5PM Saturday. Everyone ran around all day Saturday finding caches and then settled down at the event at 5, ate pizza and had a good time.

Second event, 40 caches released the day before, but the event was at 11AM, Sunday. Out of 60 attendees, I'd say that 15 simply "checked in", then spent the rest of the day finding caches.

I have also attended an event where the establishment needed the room back after a certain point. As that time got close, the host announced that she had hidden ten nearby caches and that they should soon be published. She then handed out a printout of the caches w/coordinates. With the mass evacuation of cachers, the restaurant got their room back in time.

If done properly, new caches can augment a good event. If in the attendees minds, the event is secondary, things might not go as well.