Oldest active cache?

Roman!

With Mingo coming once again into the spotlight I was thinking it would be neat to have a list of the reigns on all the caches that ever were "the oldest active caches"

Obviously it would start with the original stash but once it was archived what replaced it?

And it would end with Mingo......for now, but when did Mingo take the title and from what cache.

What about all the caches that held the title in between?

Alas, I'm too lazy to figure it out.

If you get more curious than lazy, you can work through the Groundspeak list of the first 100 caches, and figure out (maybe) when each was archived, making the next unarchived on the oldest.

First 100 Caches Bookmark

Heck I was more curious than lazy. For all practical purposes, it's always been Mingo.

GCF: The Original Stash Date Placed: 5/3/2000 found in 2000 by Oct 2000 it was in poor condition & the "unoriginal" was placed. last maybe legit log on the original Feb 17 2001

GC4: Mike's First Date placed: 5/7/2000 last Found 08/27/2000

GC5: Secret Lava Bed Date placed 5/7/2000 last found 10/06/2001 archive 7/17/2002

GC10: First Divine Date placed: 5/8/2000 last Found, hard to say from the logs sometime in 2000

GC1C: LAX Date placed: 5/9/2000 Last Found 01/16/2001

GC30:Mingo Date placed: 5/11/2000 Last Found 10/26/2012

Edited by palmetto

would need someone who is a bigger expert than me to know this, but the problem with some of those older caches, you never truly know when it was placed and you do not know when it got archived.

the first cache GCF was last found on this site on 6/16/2001 but someone put another cache next to it (the unoriginal cache) after not finding it on 10/22/2000. So, do you go by the last find date? If so, it ended its reign as oldest cache on 6/16/2001.

GCF 5/3/2000 to 6/16/2001.

After that GC5 was probably the oldest. It got archived 7/17/2002.

After that, I am guessing GC10 was the oldest. It got archived 6/3/2007 which was when Mingo took over until today.

These are my best guesses based on the bookmark lists, but without any authority.

would need someone who is a bigger expert than me to know this, but the problem with some of those older caches, you never truly know when it was placed and you do not know when it got archived.

the first cache GCF was last found on this site on 6/16/2001 but someone put another cache next to it (the unoriginal cache) after not finding it on 10/22/2000. So, do you go by the last find date? If so, it ended its reign as oldest cache on 6/16/2001.

After that, I am guessing GC10 was the oldest. It got archived 6/3/2007 which was when Mingo took over until today.

These are my best guesses based on the bookmark lists, but without any authority.

Interesting, thanks. Hopefully others can add or affirm. I imagine it should go by archive date not last found.

Interesting, thanks. Hopefully others can add or affirm. I imagine it should go by archive date not last found.

Yes, but on many of those old caches, there is no archive date on Geocaching.com, its just archived. However, I remember a forum article saying that the CO of those caches could see what date the page was archived, but that won't help us in these cases I imagine.

Edited by lamoracke

GC10 was already archived when Lone Ranger & Tonto logged it 05/23/2001 - it must have been archived sometime in June 2001.

"Found the First Divine cache while on vacation, by the time we got home it had been removed. Just found out how to look up the cache's that have been removed."

The later logs after Exocet and Wit Camp Expeditions are just BS.

So it was GCF: The Original Stash, then GC5 was the oldest (it says so on the listing) Secret Lava Bed. It was probably missing by end October 2001, but wasn't archived until July 17 2002.

Then Mingo would have taken over.

Edited by palmetto

GC10 was already archived when Lone Ranger & Tonto logged it 05/23/2001 - it must have been archived sometime in June 2001.

"Found the First Divine cache while on vacation, by the time we got home it had been removed. Just found out how to look up the cache's that have been removed."

So it was GCF: The Original Stash, then GC5 was the oldest (it says so on the listing) Secret Lava Bed. It was probably missing by end October 2001, but wasn't archived until July 17 2002.

Excellent work! I don't know if the OP started this thread after seeing my mostly joking post in another thread about killing Mingo and installing a tribute plaque, but if he did, I was just taking a wild guess at it being the oldest active cache 2003-present. :)

Excellent work! I don't know if the OP started this thread after seeing my mostly joking post in another thread about killing Mingo and installing a tribute plaque, but if he did, I was just taking a wild guess at it being the oldest active cache 2003-present. :)

I was wondering what the plaque would say as once archived it would not be the oldest active cache , maybe longest reigning longest active cache?