New Attribute

ramso13

I think a attribute for BYOP (Bring Your Own Pen) would be a good idea. Eg for nano caches we could have this attribute.

Too many geocacher do photologs or write in their fould log that "Cache didn't contain any pen/pencil so I was not able to sing"

If the size is micro, this is already implied. If a micro is large enough to hold a pen/pencil, I'd say it isn't a micro at all.

Anyway, cachers should always have a pen/pencil with them. Even if a cache says it has a pen, oftentimes it has long gone missing. I put pens in every one of my caches, but about half of them are gone when I do maintenance checks about once a year.

If the size is micro, this is already implied. If a micro is large enough to hold a pen/pencil, I'd say it isn't a micro at all.
I wouldn't go that far. There are long, skinny containers (e.g., preforms) that are well under the 100ml threshold for size small containers, but which can easily hold a short pen or pencil. But yeah, it's safe to assume that most micro caches won't have a pen.

Anyway, cachers should always have a pen/pencil with them. Even if a cache says it has a pen, oftentimes it has long gone missing. I put pens in every one of my caches, but about half of them are gone when I do maintenance checks about once a year.
And some pens stop working after being left in a cache for a while. When there is a pen in a cache, I usually try to use it. If it's dead, then I CITO it unless it's somehow special (e.g., something worth getting a refill for, not your typical stick pen).

Which raises another issue: the presence of a working pen/pencil in a cache can be rather variable, depending on when they stop working or get traded out, and when someone leaves a new pen. I wouldn't want to try to keep such an attribute accurate, and I wouldn't search based on such an attribute. I'd rather just assume that I may need a pen at any cache, and carry a few with me whenever I'm geocaching.

I wouldn't go that far. There are long, skinny containers (e.g., preforms) that are well under the 100ml threshold for size small containers, but which can easily hold a short pen or pencil. But yeah, it's safe to assume that most micro caches won't have a pen.

Point taken.

I think a attribute for BYOP (Bring Your Own Pen) would be a good idea. Eg for nano caches we could have this attribute.

Too many geocacher do photologs or write in their fould log that "Cache didn't contain any pen/pencil so I was not able to sing"

I don't see this as necesary. You should always carry a pen (or two or three!) when you're caching. Even if there's supposedly a pen in the cache, it may not work or may be missing.

If the cache is listed a micro, the need for a pen is presumed. If someone wants to photolog something, it's up to the cache owner whether or not to delete their log.

I always assume the cache is penless. In fact almost 200 caches, I don't think I've ever used a pen or pencil from a cache. Plus I don't like having to dig through all the SWAG and garbage to look for one, just pull it out of my pocket sign and done.

Exactly. There could be a pen in the baggie with the log and I still reach in my pocket and use my own. I know that mine works.

It would make more sense to have a "pen provided" attribute, since most caches these days don't have pens. But, of course, it would really have to be "pen might be provided and might work", so when you think about it, it wouldn't actually accomplish anything since you have to assume you need to bring your own pen no matter what any attribute might say.

You know, come to think of it, you should always have a pen or pencil weather you cache or not. I always have one and not a day goes by that I don't need it. Just like a first aid kit, or jumper cables, there should always be multiple writing utensils. I have a pen, permanent marker and dry erase marker all just for work.

Don't let the lack of a writing implement ruin your operatic career!

:laughing: