Garmin Dakota: track navigation

happydutch

One big difference between Garmin Dakota and my old Legend HCx is that the Legend gives me time to next waypoint, since it navigates a track from waypoint to waypoint.

This morning I finally figured out why the Dakota doesn't do this. It sees the entire track as one line between "Begin" and "End". When it shows "Waypoint at Next" it shows "Begin" before you reach start of track and "End" before you reach end of track. Nothing in between.

I am hoping there is a way in BaseCamp to influence this. Pretty annoying track implementation...!

One big difference between Garmin Dakota and my old Legend HCx is that the Legend gives me time to next waypoint, since it navigates a track from waypoint to waypoint.

This morning I finally figured out why the Dakota doesn't do this. It sees the entire track as one line between "Begin" and "End". When it shows "Waypoint at Next" it shows "Begin" before you reach start of track and "End" before you reach end of track. Nothing in between.

I am hoping there is a way in BaseCamp to influence this. Pretty annoying track implementation...!

It should do it, and actually better than the Legend HCx, in that the Dakota should give you time and distance based on track mileage rather than straight-lines. Try a different track. How are you starting to navigate a track? Where To? > Tracks?

It should do it, and actually better than the Legend HCx, in that the Dakota should give you time and distance based on track mileage rather than straight-lines. Try a different track. How are you starting to navigate a track? Where To? > Tracks?

I am using Where to? > Tracks indeed. It does gives me overall distance and mileage based on the entire track, but does not report anything on the intermediate waypoints that I created. The Legend will tell me Time/Distance to Next. This would be to the next waypoint on the track.

I am using Where to? > Tracks indeed. It does gives me overall distance and mileage based on the entire track, but does not report anything on the intermediate waypoints that I created. The Legend will tell me Time/Distance to Next. This would be to the next waypoint on the track.

When you configure one of your data fields to display "Distance To Next", you are instead seeing "Distance To Destination"?

When you configure one of your data fields to display "Distance To Next", you are instead seeing "Distance To Destination"?

Nope, I am using "Distance To Next". When I display the next track point it shows "End". So using BaseCamp and the Dakota a track has a beginning and and end and nothing in between...

Nope, I am using "Distance To Next". When I display the next track point it shows "End". So using BaseCamp and the Dakota a track has a beginning and and end and nothing in between...

Just tried out a Track from the old MapSource (as I was wondering whether BaseCamp could be the issue), and I see the same. Although I have multiple trackpoints between "Begin" and "End" of track, the "Distance to Next" is always until the end of the track. Starting to conclude that the Dakota firmware has an issue, or it is possible that Garmin changed the way track navigation works.

Although I have multiple trackpoints between "Begin" and "End" of track, the "Distance to Next" is always until the end of the track.

It won't show the distance to trackpoints. Have you created a waypoint along the track?

Thanks for the answers!

I does do that on my Legend, so that's a step back in functionality.

Let me try to add Waypoints and see if that works (a bit cumbersome though :-( )

Although I have multiple trackpoints between "Begin" and "End" of track, the "Distance to Next" is always until the end of the track.

It won't show the distance to trackpoints. Have you created a waypoint along the track?

Thanks for the answers!

Let me try to add Waypoints and see if that works (a bit cumbersome though :-( )

Just created a test route. I'm starting to see how Garmin has changed how this works. It's a little cumbersome to have to place waypoints on the track, but I can see this is how you work with tracks. You follow a track and want to be warned at a junction. The Legend warned you at all track points.

Will try this out tomorrow. Maybe I don't have to return this unit after all...

Thanks for the answers!

Just created a test route. I'm starting to see how Garmin has changed how this works. It's a little cumbersome to have to place waypoints on the track, but I can see this is how you work with tracks. You follow a track and want to be warned at a junction. The Legend warned you at all track points.

Will try this out tomorrow. Maybe I don't have to return this unit after all...

I tried the track this morning on route to kids school & work. It works indeed as expected. It doesn't 'beep' at the waypoint though which is disappointing.