Oregon x50 Software Version 6.00

MtnHermit

Change History

Changes made from version 5.90 to 6.00:

Improved map drawing at low zoom levels.

Fixed inability to edit archived tracks.

Fixed ability to use NMEA depth for waypoints and tracks.

Fixed display of geocache coordinates with non-default map datum.

Fixed potential issue with reporting tempe temperature data.

Fixed overlapping position text for right to left languages.

Webupdater link

Anyone use ver 6.00? Any news on the connecting track and trip odometer issues from v5.90?

Domo!!!

I did post in a thread at "Garmin Oregon GPS Wiki by GPSFix".

I updated my Oregon 400 from 5.90 to 6.0 twice, once from WebUpdater, and once manually.

Not Good at all! :(

No Geocaching descriptions/hints, and a hang...

Disappointing.

Reverted back to 5.90, manually, and all is back to normal.

Then, another user posted:

"It has been quite a while since I upgraded and I think I had this problem. If so what I did was to clear out all cache files on the device to allow the Oregon to load empty. I then returned them and all was fine and has been for the last couple of months."

I haven't tried this yet, though plan to do so today.

I will update my results here.

~ Dr.MORO

Domo!!!

I did post in a thread at "Garmin Oregon GPS Wiki by GPSFix".

I updated my Oregon 400 from 5.90 to 6.0 twice, once from WebUpdater, and once manually.

Not Good at all! :(

No Geocaching descriptions/hints, and a hang...

Disappointing.

Reverted back to 5.90, manually, and all is back to normal.

Then, another user posted:

"It has been quite a while since I upgraded and I think I had this problem. If so what I did was to clear out all cache files on the device to allow the Oregon to load empty. I then returned them and all was fine and has been for the last couple of months."

I haven't tried this yet, though plan to do so today.

I will update my results here.

~ Dr.MORO

Hey!

It worked! All Geocache info (description & hint, etc.) and waypoints are viewable as before.

I just followed what was said in the WebUpdater, only that I was doing 5.90 to 6.0, sort of.

"Delete the /Garmin/GPX folder from the handheld's mass storage.

Update the handheld's software via WebUpdater and reboot the handheld.

Reconnect the handheld to a computer and transfer your data back to the handheld."

I will try other 'New' features, and see how they work.

~ Dr.MORO

Garmin Oregon x50 Software Version 6.00 is a FAIL, from my perspective.

It has the same track and trip odometer defects as 5.70 and 5.90. Namely:

• The trip odometer has the distance from the last track event added to the odometer, even after a firmware upgrade and a reset !!!
  • A straight line is added from the end of the last track event to the beginning of the next track. Even if days pass and hundreds of miles. And even in the case of a firmware upgrade.

Software version 5.50 has neither of these features. I've already upgraded my OR 450 back to v5.50.

Garmin Oregon x50 Software Version 6.00 is a FAIL, from my perspective.

It has the same track and trip odometer defects as 5.70 and 5.90. Namely:

• The trip odometer has the distance from the last track event added to the odometer, even after a firmware upgrade and a reset !!!
  • A straight line is added from the end of the last track event to the beginning of the next track. Even if days pass and hundreds of miles. And even in the case of a firmware upgrade.

Software version 5.50 has neither of these features. I've already upgraded my OR 450 back to v5.50.

Yes, but they added/improved all this functionality in those same updates:

•  
  • Improved map drawing at low zoom levels.
  • Fixed inability to edit archived tracks.
  • Fixed ability to use NMEA depth for waypoints and tracks.
  • Fixed display of geocache coordinates with non-default map datum.
  • Fixed potential issue with reporting tempe temperature data.
  • Fixed overlapping position text for right to left languages.
  • Added Adventure support with latest version of BaseCamp. See TrailTech for more information.
  • Added support for new tempe sensor. See TrailTech for more information.
  • Added new route activity types and improved BaseCamp compatibility. See TrailTech for more information.
  • Added support for Kenwood NMEA Waypoint Sentence
  • Improved GPS response at low speeds
  • Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from BaseCamp (identical maps required)
  • Fixed Spell Search in German
  • Fixed possible issue with Where To? > Address searching

I would (and I have) chosen to stay with 6.00 for now, and eagerly await the next update for my Oregon 450 and 550t.

Edited by Atlas Cached

@S Duck,

you really showed them....now you'll really find out about customer service ! ....at least you didn't get a DeLorme with their paranoid proprietary, proprietary, proprietary.

However, don't be sellin' it to AC....trade it for a Montana 650 and then sell THAT piece of junk to me!

AC you beat me.....! but I already have an Oregon 550(happily running v 6.00),and a 78S,and a 76CSx so I need a Montana 650 !

I just uploaded my Oregon 450 to 6.0, same problems. Compass just absolutely hangs up while navigating to a cache. No matter which way I turn the pointer is always the same. NOT at the cache. Makes you wonder just what it is pointing to? When it hangs up no matter which way you turn it still points the same way, never changes. If it hangs at 90deg (to the unit), it stays that way no matter which way you turn or where you go. If it wasn't so danged expensive I would fix it with a hammer and get a 62S.

I wonder why Garmin can't fix the basic stuff and stop worrying about the other BS that they say they fixed. I want to find geocaches, I couldn't care less about the other crap. Just point me to the coordinates that I ask the unit to navigate to.

Edited by kwhart

I just uploaded my Oregon 450 to 6.0, same problems. Compass just absolutely hangs up while navigating to a cache. No matter which way I turn the pointer is always the same. NOT at the cache. Makes you wonder just what it is pointing to? When it hangs up no matter which way you turn it still points the same way, never changes. If it hangs at 90deg (to the unit), it stays that way no matter which way you turn or where you go. If it wasn't so danged expensive I would fix it with a hammer and get a 62S.

I wonder why Garmin can't fix the basic stuff and stop worrying about the other BS that they say they fixed. I want to find geocaches, I couldn't care less about the other crap. Just point me to the coordinates that I ask the unit to navigate to.

For clarification, is the compass hanging up on the compass page, or are you using the compass dashboard on the map page?

Do any of the other data fields also lock up, such as distance to destination?

What action is required to resolve the unresponsive compass? Restart the application, or reboot the unit?

This is an email I just sent to Garmin. They probably will not like me anymore, you think?? ha ha ha ha. I just really don't care, I am going to jump companys.

First of all you web site sucks. It has asked me at least 10 times to connect my device. I did this before I started. It is connected and your web site has found me 10 times. Why can't you fix the compass problems with the Oregon 450?? The same people evidently wrote the software that did your web site. The compass hangs up while navigating to a cache and will not change. I have tried all your software releases, but none work. Do you just not care if these things work or not? Why don't you get someone that understands software to fix this crap? I am going to hammer this POS and get a Magellan that works. Why cant you fix this problem, this has been going on for a long time, just check the geocaching forums. FIX this thing Dammit!!!

Hey Atlas, I just noticed your response. Thanks for trying to help. The only thing I know is that I select a cache to navigate to, then click on compass. Today when I tried this, the compass would actually jump about 90 degrees a couple of times, then just lock up and not change at all. The sad thing about this is that this 450 has always worked so dang good, it was almost unreal. Then just a couple of weeks ago the 450 just stopped working, and I don't know of anything I changed. The only way I found any today was to go to the map page and use the map "pink line" to find the cache location. I was serious about the Garmin web site. I actually logged in and "found" my Garmin unit 10 times before I could get a question to their support group. Their web site SUCKS!! I realize I am not a "geek" or "IT" guy by any means but I usually can get a support question to a company without trying 10 times. I am going to look at Magellan units this week for sure. I'm just tired of the Garmin's not working. Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

I quit "upgrading" at @ Software Ver.5.50, GPS Software Ver. 5.00.

This upgrade fixed the infamous " sticky" problem.

All I use it for is geocaching and backtracking and all works fine....I use City Nav street maps.

Try loading this and give it a try.

@kwart,

THINK......and turn the compass OFF. What difference does it make which "compass direction" you are going if you are heading directly to the specific location determined by specific coordinates?

If the location is in the center of the country, people in Texas have to go "North", in Calif. they go East, in N Dakota, South .....etc. All must go different compass directions , but all are heading correctly to the same specific point.

If you are not standing on top of "the cache" (or any other coordinate location)..... can you get there without moving? Duh....of course not. So, turn your COMPASS..... OFF.... and use the "bearing" pointer (set to "bearing" not "course". (bearing pointer is the same as "compass" pointer ) Also use "North UP" orientation.

As soon as you move a few feet and establish a direction of travel, the bearing pointer will "point" directly at the desired coordinate location, based on whatever correction to that "direction of travel" is needed to get to the specific coordinate location by "Go To".

Who cares which "compass direction " N,S,E,W that is? Yes, IMHO, strictly as a matter of convenience,the compass should keep the pointer pointing at the coordinate location when the user is stopped. Again, who cares???, you can't get there when you're stopped anyway.....

If there was a circle of 50 people around a cache with their GPSs, each would have to travel a different "compass direction" to get to the specific coordinates.So.....who cares about "direction". The coordinate location does not change.... no matter which "direction" you have to travel to reach it.

Your ACTUAL path of travel is ultimately going to be controlled by ground features and common sense anyway.....and you can't get there without moving.

If you NEED to determine a compass direction, turn the compass ON, calibrate it and use the unit as a compass. Then TURN IT OFF.

Edited by Grasscatcher

The bearing pointer is what is sticking. I couldn't care less about the compass, but the bearing pointer is sticking, it will not move, it locks up!!!!!!!!!!

Is the compass turned on? Go into your settings and find out. If it is, turn it off. It affects the way the bearing pointer works.

I just came back from finding 8 different section corners and my 550 (ver 6.00) worked perfectly.

The compass being turned on has never affected the unit before. And, it should work either way, on or off.

I asked Garmin support to tell me how to revert back to 5.50 from 6.0. Here is their dumb a@@ answer:

"Unfortunately we cannot recommend you revert to an older software version or instruct you on how to do this. I apologize for the inconvenience".

I sent the guy a reply and told him I didn't think any of them knew how anyway if their other software was any example.

The bearing pointer is what is sticking. I couldn't care less about the compass, but the bearing pointer is sticking, it will not move, it locks up!!!!!!!!!!

........then why would you object to turning it off???. If you turn it off and it cures the problem (as the most simple work around)then you know that it is a "compass" problem. You can always turn it back on and try it again after the next "update".

Yes, it would be nice if everything electronic worked perfectly all the time....but......

I guess you just don't understand or just can't read very well. I said I have done all those things. And besides, it doesn't work anyway. It makes NO difference if the compass is turned off or not, it does the same things. Got it??

After several touchy emails with Garmin I decided to return it to them (on their advice) and we negotiated a very reasonable repair price. I am now waiting to get it back to see if it all works. Fingers crossed!!