Garmin GLO

user13371

Unboxed it at work today.

Paired it with a Google Galaxy Nexus phone and took it for a walk at lunchtime. It worked great. It was claiming submeter accuracy and 16 satellites in our conference room.

Playing with it now, trying to convince my Debian server that it is not a pair of headphones.

More chatter after dinner...

--Brian

Aside from greater accuracy, not entirely sure what this product's appeal is. I wouldn't want more devices on me if I could avoid it. If I could configure it as my 'black box' to track my kayaking/biking/snowboarding, that would be nice. But then it doesn't report me in unless I connect it to another device with USB or BT. And how many pairings can it use at a given time? Just one?

Aside from greater accuracy, not entirely sure what this product's appeal is. I wouldn't want more devices on me if I could avoid it. <SNIP.

The big appeal for me would be making geocaching with a smartphone practical under the terrain conditions (heavy tree cover and narrow stream valleys) that make gps reception spotty at times with a dedicated GPSr and often unusable with my smartphone (Galaxy SII). I would love to be able to take advantage of the benefits that some of the geocaching programs bring (especiall Neongeo since it easy easy to cache offline maps and send caches to it via GSAK). As it stands, the performance of my phone is simply not acceptable except in parking lots and open fields. I could go with a standard BT GPS based on US GPS for about $50 and get acceptable performance but I am willing to spend another $50 if that means incrementally better reception in challenging conditions.

Has anyone tried the Glo with a Ipod or Ipad mini? Would like to use it with maps offline and with the geocaching app. I have a Iphone that works great(and a garmin map60csx) Thinking of getting the Ipad mini if I could find a way to add gps to it.

I am using the Glo with my iPhone 4S. In my opinion, the primary benefits are fast time-to-fix and much better accuracy in conditions where the part of the sky is blocked. I also own a Garmin Map 60C. My impression thus far is that the 60C only will match or exceed Glo accuracy when there is a completely clear and unobstructed view of the sky.