Getting a bad Cache fixed or removed

dahollander

If the cache has a string of DNFs (not notes!), then I think either needs maintenance log or needs archived log. In my area, needs archive will prompt a temporarily disable by the reviewer, giving a chance for the owner to check/fix. If no response, it gets cleaned up by the reviewer eventually.

I personally think that archiving a cache because of a string of DNFs is premature. If one of the previous finders lives in the area, you could ask them to check if it's still in its place before posting a "needs archived". It would of course be better if the CO checked, but checking if a cache is there is, in my opinion, not something you need the CO for, persé.

Once you've determined the cache is missing, the next step is Needs Maintenance.

Having said that, since you haven't found it, I don't know why you're calling it "a bad cache". And your goal shouldn't be to get it "fixed or removed", but only to alert the CO to a problem. As a seeker, once you've posted a NM, you should forget about it and move on. Oh, sure, you might check in again later to see if it's available or if more action is needed, but I advise against taking it as a personal task to get this cache back in action. If you're waiting for it, it'll almost certainly take longer than you think it should to resolve itself, and there's just no point in wasting energy worrying about that one cache when you could be out having fun seeking others.

If there is a string of DNFs that is inconsistent with the history of the cache (if it's a tough cache that might not be unusual), then log a "needs maintenance". This will send an email to the cache owner.

If the cache owner doesn't respond for over a month and it still is not found, then you can put a "needs archived" on it. This will alert the local reviewer, along with another email to the cache owner. The reviewer will take it from there.

And your goal shouldn't be to get it "fixed or removed", but only to alert the CO to a problem. As a seeker, once you've posted a NM, you should forget about it and move on.

If the cache owner doesn't take responsibility, someone needs to. If you've got a reviewer who has time to do regular sweeps, great, however most are already too busy as it is. I've seen caches missing for over a year, with still no action from the owner. It's a waste of everybody's time for caches like this to be on the map. Have you ever driven to a cache, walked to ground zero, started searching, then checked the logs only to realize it's been missing for months? Now imagine you are a visitor to the area or new to caching. I see it as every cacher's responsibility to improve things for their fellow cachers. If you walk down the street and see a piece of garbage do you pick it up or do you say 'not my problem'.

If other efforts (emails, NM or NA logs) have failed....Contact your reviewer.....

Don't get 'upset' if the reviewer doesn't respond quickly. They are volunteers who have everyday lives like you & I and they are busy.

Other than that - 'Let it go'- or else you'll spend more time worrying about these caches and not getting out and having fun finding other caches.

Personally for me....every cache I attempt, I always look at the recent logs. If it has a several DNF's - I don't even attempt it.

Edited by Lieblweb

Also reviewers will often wait a couple of weeks after a NA log, to given the CO a chance to sort this issue out.

In our area the reviewers are usually right on top of NA logs, however, if the CO posts a note saying that they're looking into it, the reviewer usually wont respond until it becomes clear that the CO isn't staying true to their word. If a CO has circumstances where he can't check/replace in a timely manner, the biggest thing they can do to keep their listing is to simply communicate. Many around here will ignore a dozen DNF logs, a NM, a NA, a reviewer note disabling the cache and giving 30 days, then the reviewer archiving the cache 30 days later, then replace it the next day and ask why it got archived.

I think that it's shameful for an active CO to allow this entire process to happen on one, or many of their caches. Worse is to complain about it after the fact.