Annual Outdoor Art Exhibits

Hi, everyone:

I have spent a good deal of time this morning reviewing edits to archive to a series of sculpture Waymarks that were part of a annual art exhibit. This problem has arisen many times before where Waymarkers try to Waymark a piece that is on display for only a year or so. That makes the piece temporary (as evidenced by my work today to edit the 8-10 Waymarks to denote they are 'Gone.'). I have suggested many times that a category be created for Annual Outdoor Art Exhibits that would allow to Waymarking of the event (similar to Festivals), but not be dependent upon individual art pieces (which are usually only on display for that year).

So I have created a group called 'Art Walks' with the goal to see if there is interest in developing a category that would allow for Waymarking annual outdoor art exhibitions. Many communities engage in these type of annual art displays since it is an inexpensive way to have public art in the community without the city having to purchase and for the artist to have his/her work on display for sale (hey, even artists have to eat!).

I am thinking along the lines of established annual outdoor art exhibits (in other words, the annual outdoor art exhibit being two or more years in existence); that the pieces are usually situated along several blocks in part of the city or on a dock (so where should coords be taken?); the exhibit be free and open to the public; the exhibit be outdoors (well, duh!); etc.

If there is interest, I would appreciate any suggestions, members to the group, etc., who would like to help out.

Take care,

Outspoken1

I Review in the Annual Festival category and it is very difficult to get posters to include some verifiable support for these festivals. If you go forward with this proposed new category then may I suggest including a mandatory posting requirement to provide verifiable support documentation in the form of a Web Source, Poster or New Article stating that this is an Annual Display.

I can't review for the category as I already review in way to many other categories, Sorry

Edited by condor1

Just to clarify.....

So the category would accept established outdoor art displays/festivals, whether or not they include sculptures?

Or are you looking for sculptures/art work that is on display for short periods of time?

The exhibits would have to be established (at least in their second or third year) and have supporting documentation of the scope and time frame which the pieces are available (though the pieces themselves do not actually matter since they will rotate). The pieces are generally on display for a year - it is an inexpensive way for communities to have public art at minimal coast and for artists to display their work. To differentiate this from an weekend or weekly festival - the sculptures would need to be on display for the season (for the northern climes!) to all year. Maybe instead of saying 'Annual' it should be 'Year-long' or 'On-Loan'?

Here are some examples of established Annual Outdoor Art Exhibits:

Urban Trees (San Diego, CA) (this is the one that has many Waymarks which began this whole discussion in the forums; ex. WMA2TC )

Art on Parade (Northglenn, CO) (this project has been going one for many years - the public votes on the pieces and the winner is purchased by the city)

Art on the Corner (Grand Junction, CO)

Park City Art on Loan (Park City, UT)

Avenue of the Arts (Boynton Beach, FL)

(I am pulling these examples from memory from pieces I have had to decline because they are temporary.)

Again, the goal is to Waymark an annual sculpture event - not the actual pieces. Often, the communities do purchase one of the pieces - then that piece would become Waymarkable since it would be part of their permanent collection.

Thanks for the interest, Outspoken1

Edited by Outspoken1

I think overall this is an interesting and worthy idea.

I think this is a way that we can use Waymarking to document things that may otherwise not get documented. Some people who see the goal of visiting a waymark as the most important element, might find this concept difficult. We do have, however, a few other categories that could actually be visited only once a year.

I think you might consider allowing separate waymarks for the same festival for each year. Thus, "Third Annual ABC Communtiy Art Festival 2012"

and "Fourth Annual ABC Communtiy Art Festival 2013." The rationale for this is that each year there would be different art to document.

In this vein, it might be useful to require a number, say three, of photos of individual art pieces, identified and described.

Of course there are a lot of other temporary art displays, or permanent art displays with rotating art pieces, that are not really annual events. I don't know of a good way to waymark these.