Too many caches to maintain.

marsha26

There is a man who lives in my local area who has over 60 caches placed. Unfortunately, many of them are not actually there anymore, or are desperately in need of maintenance. This person IS still into geocaching and has very recently placed several new caches, so its not a "he might be sick and can't deal with" it kind of situation. How can you get someone to archive caches they no longer want to maintain, or that haven't been found for over six months because they are no longer there? This is very confusing for newcomers. It takes a bit to realize that its not your skill that is lacking, its the failure of the person who placed the cache to do follow up.

Post a Needs Archive request with "Any plans to replace?" or "Looks like it's been missing 6 months". The reviewer will take it from there.

Thanks, I will go through all the ones that have no notes of any kind for at least six months and do as you suggested! This person had to archive one recently. My daughter and I had just found a lovely birdhouse cache, when we were stopped by the property owners, who had no idea there was a cache on their property! Luckily, we had already logged it, before they took possession of it! They gave my daughter their phone number, which she emailed to the cache owner. It's now archived, but I don't know if he went to pick up his cache! Such a shame...it was one of his best!

Post a Needs Archive request with "Any plans to replace?" or "Looks like it's been missing 6 months". The reviewer will take it from there.

Thanks, I will go through all the ones that have no notes of any kind for at least six months and do as you suggested!

Whoa! Slow down there. I assume you mean caches for which

1 You have looked and feel they are gone.

2 Others have posted similar logs.

3 There have been requests for CO confirmation and/or NM logs

Thanks, I will go through all the ones that have no notes of any kind for at least six months and do as you suggested!

Whoa! Slow down there. I assume you mean caches for which

1 You have looked and feel they are gone.

2 Others have posted similar logs.

3 There have been requests for CO confirmation and/or NM logs

All of the above! A working man just can't keep up with more than 60 caches in terrain that varies from city to forest. He apparently doesn't even try.

Wow! I see you have been in the game for about 6 weeks. Welcome to a new hobby/game/activity. I hope you still around and having fun with it in six years.

Before you place a NM on a cache, at least go out and search for it. If you don't find it, log a DNF. There is no way you know for sure if it needs maintenance unless you find it. If you find it and it needs maintenance, add a NM log after your Found It log.

Before you start berating a cache owner here in the forums, you should spend a bit more time in the game. Many times a cache is fine, but the cache owner just hasn't cleared the NM flag from the page.

Do you have personal knowledge of this particular cache owner? Your quote " A working man just can't keep up with more than 60 caches in terrain that varies from city to forest. " seems to impart that you know this man. I am aware of several cache owners who have over 250 caches active and are employed full-time. Not sure what you mean by this.

Wow! I see you have been in the game for about 6 weeks. Welcome to a new hobby/game/activity. I hope you still around and having fun with it in six years.

Before you place a NM on a cache, at least go out and search for it. If you don't find it, log a DNF. There is no way you know for sure if it needs maintenance unless you find it. If you find it and it needs maintenance, add a NM log after your Found It log.

Before you start berating a cache owner here in the forums, you should spend a bit more time in the game. Many times a cache is fine, but the cache owner just hasn't cleared the NM flag from the page.

Do you have personal knowledge of this particular cache owner? Your quote " A working man just can't keep up with more than 60 caches in terrain that varies from city to forest. " seems to impart that you know this man. I am aware of several cache owners who have over 250 caches active and are employed full-time. Not sure what you mean by this.

Perhaps you mean well, perhaps not...however, you should probably re-read my original question before "berating" a newcomer in the forums. NOT finding several of this man's caches that I DID go out and look for was the first clue. The fact that NO ONE else had found them for more than six months was also a clue. My daughter, who got me involved in this hobby/game/whatever, does not give up on anything easily. If its there, she will find it. Many of this person's listings are simply NOT THERE. Did you read that he placed a large cache on private property without the owner's permission or knowledge? Whether you did or not is not the issue. I know what I'm talking about, and who, and wanted suggestions from experienced cachers as to the best way to deal with it.

Before you start berating a cache owner here in the forums, you should spend a bit more time in the game.

We have a cacher like that around here. Add on top that if you even mention anything like NM, not a NM post, just mentioning it he'll delete your post and call you names.

Fortunately he got testy with a national reviewer, realized his mistake and archived any cache that was even remotely in need of service.

But he's back at it again.

Can you give us some GC codes? We can give more specific advice. Some people are able to maintain hundreds, even thousands of caches, but apparently not this guy.

I will get that info and post here tomorrow. I'm a teacher on the east coast, and it's about my bedtime! However, I must say, "WOW" at your profile! Your family are dedicated geocachers! Very impressive! Unlike people who have been doing this for years, and only have twice the finds I've made since September, I really feel I can trust any advice you have to offer!

Edited by marsha26

Can you give us some GC codes? We can give more specific advice. Some people are able to maintain hundreds, even thousands of caches, but apparently not this guy.

I will get that info and post here tomorrow. I'm a teacher on the east coast, and it's about my bedtime! However, I must say, "WOW" at your profile! Your family are dedicated geocachers! Very impressive! Unlike people who have been doing this for years, and only have twice the finds I've made since September, I really feel I can trust any advice you have to offer!

<blushes> :anicute:

I just took a look at the CO I believe the OP is ranting about.

He has hidden a total of 64 caches, 54 of which are active.

8 have NM logs on them.

If "many are desperately in need of maintenance" (8 does not equal many), perhaps the cachers in the area should start with NM logs, and not be jumping right into NA logs.

Seven of his 64 have not been found since August. That leaves 57 active caches that have been found in the last 3 months. 45 of them in the last 2 months.

Just because a cache hasn't been found every week or so, doesn't mean it isn't there. No one is ever going to find every cache they look for, including you or your daughter. If it's there, you still might not find it.

I'm smelling fish.

{edits--spelling}

Edited by Shop99er

Perhaps you mean well, perhaps not...however, you should probably re-read my original question before "berating" a newcomer in the forums.

marsha,

Most here have seen new cachers jump head first into a lions den by "taking-on" their local caching issues with fervent vigor. The questions and comments posted here (including mine above) are, for the most part, to ensure ourselves that you have done due diligence on the need for action before we insert ourselves into the cause by offering advice. I believe your subsequent statements show that you have given this some thought. My only advice is that you address each cache individually. Five DNFs from newbies is not the same as five DNFs from experienced cachers. I have seen caches with months of DNFs in the summer found once vegetation clears. Just my 2 cents.

I just took a look at the CO I believe the OP is ranting about.

He has hidden a total of 64 caches, 54 of which are active.

8 have NM logs on them.

If "many are desperately in need of maintenance" (8 does not equal many), perhaps the cachers in the area should start with NM logs, and not be jumping right into NA logs.

Seven of his 64 have not been found since August. That leaves 57 active caches that have been found in the last 3 months. 45 of them in the last 2 months.

Just because a cache hasn't been found every week or so, doesn't mean it isn't there. No one is ever going to find every cache they look for, including you or your daughter. If it's there, you still might not find it.

I'm smelling fish.

{edits--spelling}

It's just those Aloha shirts you're smelling...says I, as I go off to bed with a chuckle.

I was also able to determine easily which cache owner is the subject of this question, based on the OP's description of one cache that the owner disabled following their report.

I looked at each cache that had a "needs maintenance" flag checked. I did the CO a favor and cleared two of the flags because the needed maintenance had been performed. The remaining maintenance issues are largely about wet logs, and are all fairly recent reports. There's no need to archive any of those caches.

I also looked at any cache placed by this CO that hadn't been found in September or October. Two or three could have attracted "Needs Maintenance" logs; again, due to wet log issues. None of the caches had a long string of DNF logs - they just haven't been found for awhile.

There is no present basis to archive or temporarily disable any of this CO's active caches.

Reviewers look for the following pattern:

(1) a string of DNF logs or a string of reports saying that there's a maintenance issue with a cache that's in place.

(2) a "needs maintenance" log to escalate the issue more directly to the owner's attention.

(3) lack of response from the owner for a period of months.

(4) a "needs archived" log that doesn't receive a response from the CO for several weeks.

This CO has a better record of maintenance right now than I do with my own caches.

None of the caches had a long string of DNF logs - they just haven't been found for awhile.

Not even close to a string of DNFs. Of their 8 still-active caches where the last find was before September, only 2 had a single DNF each as the last log. The others haven't been logged in any way since their last find. Based on the time between find logs on most of those 8, they don't tend to get attempted very often anyway. The fact that they haven't been logged in any way in that time tells me one of two things:

1. People simply haven't attempted to find them.

2. People have been attempting them, but have logged neither DNF nor Needs Maintenance.

Neither of these cases are the fault of the owner. On the contrary, if people are attempting them and not logging their DNFs, I'd say those people are the real problem. By not logging those DNFs, the owner and other cachers have no idea there may potentially be a problem with the cache.

Snarky comments from people who are newly in the game lend little credence to their comments. Given time you may come to understand......

The number of finds logged on the GS website has little to do with experience or activity in caching. Many finds go unlogged. Many may be logged on "other" websites.

This is an extremely common complaint among newbies. I'm not sure if there is an expectation when you start out that caches are always there for you to find and that as soon as someone DNFs a cache the owner has to go out and check on it.

The fact is that from time to time caches go missing, but also from time to time there is a streak of cachers who just don't find the cache. Sometimes this is a more difficult cache, sometimes it just happens to be easily overlooked.

Likewise, there are some cache owners who take maintenance very seriously and will respond immediately to the first needs maintenance or DNF; others may get to it in a few days; and still others are more of a "I'll get around to it eventually" attitude.

When you've only been caching six weeks, six weeks to replace or check a cache may seem like a long time. However you will find that many active cache owners will take longer to "get around to it". Hopefully, if is seems the cache is missing, they will temporarily disable the cache so people won't spend time looking, but in some cases the cache owner may think the cache is still there and wants to allow those who want to search to take a crack at it. (Of course some people will still look for a cache is disabled or even archived if they think there is a chance it might still be there).

It's really hard to say how many caches are too many to maintain. I have seen some prolific hiders who simply wait for someone to post a Needs Archive and then they either archive the cache or let the reviewers do it for them. Others are on the "when I get to it" timeline until there is a Needs Archive, then they know that a reviewer is watching and the clock is ticking. That is often what it takes to get them to move on the issue.

I would suggest a little patience with this cache owner (who probably is typical) and realize that most people have a more laid back timeline when it comes to replacing or repairing caches. Don't judge the length of time based on your experience as newbie or your interpretation of what you read in the guidelines. Put these caches on your watchlist and you'll get a notification if the owner does maintenance or if someone finds the cache (as well as if there are more DNFs). If you feel the need, then post a Needs Archive after a few more weeks.

Marsha,

thanks for your enthusiasm in being responsible with the caches you find. There are often cachers who do not maintain their caches. You did well to come here first to the forums to check things out.

It seems that we had a reviewer check the situation for us, and it looks like this particular situation is alright. To someone new, it looks suspicious, but in time you'll be able to tell the difference.

There are many cache owners who maintain hundreds of caches very well, while there are some who do a bad job of maintaining five.

In the future, look for long lists of DNF logs on caches (did not find logs). There are some caches out there that haven't been found in over a year and are still there and being maintained.

Relax and have some fun for a while. In time you can pick up on doing your part in making sure that the caches you visit are in good shape for the next guy.

Thank you for caring,

Sol

Before we jump to conclusions about which caches we're talking about, I think we need to hear back from the OP. She mentioned a cache that was missing for more than 6 months.

Since the OP said they'd post the info tomorrow anyway, I don't think it would be out of line for me to link to the cache owner in question right now so everyone can put this discussion in context (if I am out of line, then I'm fine with a mod editing out the link, but it really wasn't difficult to figure out who we're talking about).

As you can see, they have 4 caches that haven't been logged in at least 6 months, but like I mentioned in my earlier post, those caches don't have any DNFs or NMs since the last find. If anyone has attempted them, there's no indication of it. If any of those caches were in this area, I wouldn't hesitate to go out and attempt them because there's no indication that they might not be there.

Thanks, I will go through all the ones that have no notes of any kind for at least six months and do as you suggested! This person had to archive one recently. My daughter and I had just found a lovely birdhouse cache, when we were stopped by the property owners, who had no idea there was a cache on their property! Luckily, we had already logged it, before they took possession of it! They gave my daughter their phone number, which she emailed to the cache owner. It's now archived, but I don't know if he went to pick up his cache! Such a shame...it was one of his best!

Depending on how many DNFs, the experience on the DNF cachers and the difficulty rating.

Then I put a NM if there isn't one. Then after 1 or 2 weeks with not CO response I would put a NA request.

If there is a NM already in place and there is no response, then yes put a NA request.

The quality of a cache is not only a thing to fix by its owner..

But also a thing to handle on a more regular basis by the visitors,

like simple things make a cache live alot longer in higher standard,

if you can bring a little roll of toilet paper, so you can dry and clean things,

remove dirt, water, bad items,

you can also bring tape, so you can repair cracks in containers, keep water out,

and also think about the orientation of the container.

repport in a nice and friendly tone the state of the cache you find.

cache owners are different

cache finders are different

some play this game 100 times a day

others one time pr 100 days,

dont expect or demand others to play it your way,

they play it only their way.

A working man just can't keep up with more than 60 caches in terrain that varies from city to forest. He apparently doesn't even try.

I disagree with this statement.

I have more than 60 active caches, and am able to maintain them quite well, thank you. I'll have the odd maintainance issue that I need to get to (usually log replacement), but nothing I can't handle within a couple of weeks.

A working man just can't keep up with more than 60 caches in terrain that varies from city to forest. He apparently doesn't even try.

I have more than 60 active caches, and am able to maintain them quite well, thank you. I'll have the odd maintainance issue that I need to get to (usually log replacement), but nothing I can't handle within a couple of weeks.

Yep, I maintain about 110 active caches that vary from lame park-n-grab to 5/5 hidden on the river. This many caches is a lot of work but generally speaking, it is well within my abilities. Of my active caches, I think two are currently disabled for needing maintenance, of which will be completed well within the suggested time.

Yep, I maintain about 110 active caches that vary from lame park-n-grab to 5/5 hidden on the river. This many caches is a lot of work but generally speaking, it is well within my abilities. Of my active caches, I think two are currently disabled for needing maintenance, of which will be completed well within the suggested time.

The key, I have found, is to use great quality containers, and hide them in locations that won't get them muggled.

Most of my issues have been full logs, and the occasional damaged container (New England weather can be tough on things).

I also have more than 60 active caches, including some high terrain rating caches. I have visited everyone of mine within the last month. I manage to check all my caches, including the 5/5, twice a years plus anytime a problem is noted by a cacher.

IF the caches are not being maintained I would say it is because he doesn't try.

(I also managed to find 200 caches in the last months as well. We make time for what we want to do.)

The key, I have found, is to use great quality containers, and hide them in locations that won't get them muggled.

Most of my issues have been full logs, and the occasional damaged container (New England weather can be tough on things).

So can powerline workers with chainsaws and wood chippers.

bad6a49f-e4b8-49c5-967c-0f7d93d08153.jpg

:laughing: :laughing:

As an aside to the OP - there is a temptation early in one's caching career to turn into a member of the cache police. Avoid this temptation & keep on caching!

You'll see that caching has a very laissez faire/'live and let live' ethos. I'm not sure its captured in any guideline, but it is the way most happy cachers pursue the hobby.

Can you log a legit NM or NA along the way? You bet. But, a friendly DNF comment, 'added a baggie', 'dried out the log book' goes a lot farther for good caching karma & goodwill than some might think. Do it or don't do it, you decide. But most of all, have fun!

I was going to post something, but since we only have a measly 314 cache finds in our 7 1/2 years, I guess any advice or comment I could make wouldn't be worth much.

I have to say, PP. That's really, really low. You make Briansnat look like a Power Trail aficionado. :laughing:

As an aside to the OP - there is a temptation early in one's caching career to turn into a member of the cache police. Avoid this temptation & keep on caching!

I'm not singling out this post, it just happens to be the one above me when I'm posting. But I do have to strongly disagree with "temptation early in one's caching career to turn into a member of the cache police. :o I'm definitely not known as a Unicorn and Rainbows type of poster around here, but I think we're being a little hard on the OP. In my experience, for every bflentje who does an excellent job of maintaining a high number of caches, there are a dozen CO's out there who need a kick in the butt quite regularly. If I observe there's a teenage kid in my area who found 250 caches, and hid 15 (bad) ones in 3 months, and hasn't logged into the website since early May, and half of those (bad) caches are in desperate need of maintainence, I don't think that makes me a member of the cache police. That makes me observant, and concerned. :D

I don't think that makes me a member of the cache police. That makes me observant, and concerned. :D

Observant & concerned sounds just about right. Premature NAs, per Keystone's analysis, doesn't.

Anyway, I hope my post wasn't too harsh. That certainly wasn't intended.

I think we're all for playing the game in a way that makes it fun to find & hide caches.

Edited by RThreeSonz

But I do have to strongly disagree with "temptation early in one's caching career to turn into a member of the cache police. :o I'm definitely not known as a Unicorn and Rainbows type of poster around here, but I think we're being a little hard on the OP. In my experience, for every bflentje who does an excellent job of maintaining a high number of caches, there are a dozen CO's out there who need a kick in the butt quite regularly. If I observe there's a teenage kid in my area who found 250 caches, and hid 15 (bad) ones in 3 months, and hasn't logged into the website since early May, and half of those (bad) caches are in desperate need of maintainence, I don't think that makes me a member of the cache police. That makes me observant, and concerned. :D

That's what makes it hard to respond to posts like the OPs.

We all know there are some cache owners who will never maintain a cache. Set it and forget it. And there are plenty of caches where the owner has dropped out of caching altogether. Reviewers depend on NA logs to be informed about listings that need to be archived because they are never going to get replaced or fixed.

And most of us have probably seen at least one cache that got fixed only after there was a Needs Archive and a Reviewer Note with a deadline. Some people need this push to take care of of problems.

So we don't want to discourage any cacher from reporting NA when it is really necessary. The problem is that newbies often have a different timeline. Perhaps they have read in the guidelines the recommendation to respond to Needs Maintenance in four weeks. They take four weeks as some upper limit, and they extend it DNFs as well as NM. Perhaps they haven't realized that some caches are not searched for that often and that a lone DNF from six months ago does not necessarily indicate the cache is missing. Perhaps they haven't learned yet that you don't have to find every cache. Either the DNF bothers them and they are anxious to "clear it" or they want find all the caches in one area before moving on.

Certainly is almost always a newbie who will suggest that there be a limit on the number of caches person can own or that approval of new caches should be held up if you have any caches with a Needs Maintenance flag. Other cachers may prefer that new caches are hidden even if someone has caches that need to be checked on. Perhaps long time cachers have already found these missing caches, but I think it is also the case that the long time cachers are more inclined to pass on the missing cache or to put up with a DNF if they do decide to look for it.

Before you start berating a cache owner here in the forums, you should spend a bit more time in the game.

We have a cacher like that around here. Add on top that if you even mention anything like NM, not a NM post, just mentioning it he'll delete your post and call you names.

Fortunately he got testy with a national reviewer, realized his mistake and archived any cache that was even remotely in need of service.

But he's back at it again.

I have a local cacher that will log a NA on just about any cache he can't find. He once posted a NA on a cache that hadn't been active for even 24 hours and had not been found yet and this cacher has been around for 4 years. I'm just waiting for him to try to find some of my hard caches dry.gif

I was going to post something, but since we only have a measly 314 cache finds in our 7 1/2 years, I guess any advice or comment I could make wouldn't be worth much.

B.

I've been actively caching for 6 months and have 401 finds, own 20 active caches, and lead a local caching organization and I still think I am a newbie with little advice to give on here.

B.

I've been actively caching for 6 months and have 401 finds, own 20 active caches, and lead a local caching organization and I still think I am a newbie with little advice to give on here.

:D

I have slightly more than 3,000 posts on these forums. I have no qualms about posting my advice / comments on various topics.

My reply was a *facetious* response to some judgmental words in other posts.

B)

B.

In the interest of keeping perspective, check out this list of top hiders in the US http://project-gc.com/TopHiders/tophidden/?profile_name=&profile_country=United+States&country=&region=&county=&submit=Filter&submitbutton=Filter

Three on this list live in my state. We often joke that the top of those three drives down the road and throws a container out the window while pushing the mark waypoint button, then names the cache after whatever song was on the radio at the time. He doesn't even bother to write descriptions on the cache page any more.

Best solution? Be a good example and maintain your caches. Log your DNFs. When you find it, put as much effort into your log as was put into the cache. (Write novels for good caches) Make good use of peer pressure at events and through social media among your local caching community. Post "Needs Maintenance" and "Needs Archived" logs when appropriate. Use the rating system at GCVote.com.

So glass half full, be happy you have one guy with only 60 poorly maintained caches!

Now go out there and maintain your caches people!!!

I work 50-60+ hours a week and have out over 100 caches. We have never archived a cache except for one in the beginning that we put out the wrong coords on and then fixed and it is still active. We didn't know of disable. If there was a problem with one I would be out there right away to fix it. As a cache owner working on a streak I am happy for all of them I find. Even if they are lame it gives me one to look for. If there was no one playing and hiding caches it would make my fun more hard to get to one every day. I will say thanks for a hides even if it is a LPC because it is one for me to look for and find during the day. I am grateful to all of you who play this game with me and I know it can be hard to come up with ideas. Just keep playing and do your best to keep up your caches!

-WarNinjas

I was with you on this and I see Keystone is too.

We've had new cachers in our area over the years ( none lately ) who were very nice but seemed to want to micro-manage the game. They caused a few problems with cache owners before burning out and moving on.

My advice to new and experienced cachers is to get out there and have fun....if you can't find one log a DNF and move on. Carry a sack of spare logs and baggies as well as a small container assortment to help in maint.

AND DON'T FORGET TO PUT OUT CACHES YOURSELF !