Have You A Church Micro Handy?

Gralorn

Have just noticed that there is an opportunity to have your Geocaching 'Handle' appear in a Special statistic list that will be going out after the 7th November 2012. Wednesday the 7th November is the fifth (5th) Anniversary of the Church Micro Series. There are now some 3,500 of these set all over the UK, quite an achievement to say the least. So have you a local one nearby to find on the 7th, or have you done them all. Considered putting one out to join the ever growing list for the Anniversary? So there you are Wednesday could well be a little mass Pilgrimage for Geocachers who like to join in with these types of challenges. Now where is my nearest unfound Church Micro? <_< <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

I never realised that one could ask GSAK for say 'Church Micros' and it would produce a list ! Always thought that you had to generate a Pocket Query first and install this into GSAK before any searching or filtering. Or am I wrong and have not been getting maximum use out of my GSAK? :blink: :blink: :blink: It also seems as if my nearest Church Micro is about eighteen miles away...Gosh! Hope someone puts out a few more , ideally nearer!!

I never realised that one could ask GSAK for say 'Church Micros' and it would produce a list ! Always thought that you had to generate a Pocket Query first and install this into GSAK

GSAK 8 can download caches directly (via the "Geocaching.com access" menu). Unfortunately my earlier surmise was incorrect, you can't generate a fetch list using anything related to the Listing title (yaa-boo-sucks). For my own purposes that isn't too much of a restriction; I already have 70000+ caches in my "Ongoing" gsak database (frequently updated from different PQs), and once caches are in the database I can carry out all sorts of categorised searches.

I have determined that the nearest CM to me that I've not yet found is a trifling 7.56 miles away as the pigeon flies. However, as it is an urban Church, I shall probably find a different CM to visit on 7/11.

I never realised that one could ask GSAK for say 'Church Micros' and it would produce a list ! Always thought that you had to generate a Pocket Query first and install this into GSAK before any searching or filtering. Or am I wrong and have not been getting maximum use out of my GSAK? :blink: :blink: :blink: It also seems as if my nearest Church Micro is about eighteen miles away...Gosh! Hope someone puts out a few more , ideally nearer!!

The further South you live the easier it gets! The bookmark lists of CMs are on this page CN Notes along with other useful information. I have a separate GSAK database just for Church Micros since I like to find them when out travelling. You can create PQs from the lists and load them into GSAK. I do this a different way which is a couple more steps but works well for me. I just download the .loc files (all items on a list selected) into GSAK with Add only selected. I then use the Refresh API with GSAK 8 to update the new ones so they end up with full cache info. Just keeps my PQ screen a little neater and does not waste a PQ.

Had never seen the CM Notes page before, quite interesting to read. Realised there was a list and stats of finders, but not the other notes. Still hoping that someone puts out a nearer one for next Wednesday. I know that there are lots in Suffolk and Somerset, but that is a long way to go! :D :D

So how many new ones have gone out since last week and the news about the Anniversary tomorrow, The 7th November 2012 ? Still hoping that a fairly near one goes out for us tomorrow and that the Reviewers release all those awaiting release soon!!!! or its a eighteen mile drive to locate one. Thirty six miles all round for a 35mm film cannister! It's a great hobby !! or are we just sad? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So how many new ones have gone out since last week and the news about the Anniversary tomorrow, The 7th November 2012 ? Still hoping that a fairly near one goes out for us tomorrow and that the Reviewers release all those awaiting release soon!!!! or its a eighteen mile drive to locate one. Thirty six miles all round for a 35mm film cannister! It's a great hobby !! or are we just sad? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's the downside of clearing out your local area! :)

My nearest is about 5 miles. It was a former DNF. All being well I'll try and find it tomorrow on the special day.

Sadly its the thirty six mile trip for us today! Still the sun is shining and there will obviously be the opportunity to get one or two other caches as well. Just hope that it is not a DNF or it will become more of a sixty mile journey!! Perish the thought. Right off on the Pilgrimage we go. Good luck to all Church Micro finders today. If you get one let us know! :P :P :P :P

A total of thirty seven miles driven in order to locate and sign the log of a Church Micro on their Anniversary, but worth it. Also did another twelve caches as well whilst out and about. The two counties beginning with 'S'. Somerset and Suffolk really do have some lovely Church Micros. We really found the round towers in Suffolk and Norfolk quite different to those normal square towers in the Southern counties. Anyway that is it Challenge achieved, sorry aim not challenge as it was not a challenge as such. :blink: :blink: :blink:

I hope you had more luck at St Paul's than I did today. I waited 15 minutes for some woman to shut up talking to her friend and eat her sandwich. In the end I had to give up and heading back to work.

Well it was about 18:00 when I was there so everyone was too eager to get home so nobody hanging about (except me!).

Edited by MartyBartfast

Well Sod's Law as they say. Two Church Micro's were published late last night, one 4.6 miles away from me and the other 4.8 ! Incredible after that long circular trip yesterday. Oh Well That's Life as they say. <_< <_<

Got both of them this morning though to keep up the tally!

Just went to the GAGB Website and read the latest copy of 'Seeker'. Have to be honest, did not know that it existed, the magazine that is. Was a good article about the Church Micros and enjoyed reading about them. Must also say that the photo of the Cathedral in the quarries was excellent as well. Did another church micro that was released last night, so they are still going strong that is for sure. :D :D :D