Mingo gone again?

jellis

Gosh, being last to find is definitely not an honor! We (Hedge Hopper and I)left GCF in Denver early Sunday morning and headed over to Mingo. We had planned to spend a couple more days on the road, but I was missing my cats! LOL - I'm not sure what time we got there, but there wasn't a soul in sight when we arrived.

We found the cache quickly, signed the log, took some photos and left a couple of pathtags. We headed down the road and actually made it home to Dallas around 10pm that night! We both logged the cache and I didn't give it a second thought until about a week later a friend emailed me to let me know that it got muggled after we found it.

I'm sad that there are people out there who find joy in spoiling fun for others. I don't have an opinion on if the cache should be archived or not. If the owner wants to continue to maintain it, then it is up to him.

Did you see anything while you were there? Like a parked car or anything in the general area?

No. There were earth-movers parked nearby, but no cars and no people around. It was Sunday morning and the area was just quiet. Not even much traffic on the road.

Gosh, being last to find is definitely not an honor! We (Hedge Hopper and I)left GCF in Denver early Sunday morning and headed over to Mingo. We had planned to spend a couple more days on the road, but I was missing my cats! LOL - I'm not sure what time we got there, but there wasn't a soul in sight when we arrived.

We found the cache quickly, signed the log, took some photos and left a couple of pathtags. We headed down the road and actually made it home to Dallas around 10pm that night! We both logged the cache and I didn't give it a second thought until about a week later a friend emailed me to let me know that it got muggled after we found it.

I'm sad that there are people out there who find joy in spoiling fun for others. I don't have an opinion on if the cache should be archived or not. If the owner wants to continue to maintain it, then it is up to him.

Did you see anything while you were there? Like a parked car or anything in the general area?

No. There were earth-movers parked nearby, but no cars and no people around. It was Sunday morning and the area was just quiet. Not even much traffic on the road.

Interesting. Very interesting. Any names on the equipments? Like a company name or county name or anything like that.

Haven't we heard something like this before?

Interesting. Very interesting. Any names on the equipments? Like a company name or county name or anything like that.

Sorry, I don't remember. :(

Yes, I believe so. I want to know if a construction worker is doing this.

Sorry, I don't remember. :(

Thats ok. The reason I am asking because there was some major road construction going on last year when Mingo was going through alot of drama.

Just what I was thinking.

Or somebody walking up with a sack of concrete in their arms, looking much like this: :ph34r:?

And if the answer is yes, it would be good to know if a construction worker was asked to fill in the hole by whoever manages that piece of property. Many seem to be speculating that the person responsible is a geocacher, ex-geocacher, or anti-geoacher but I'm not convinced that it's not someone that isn't necessarily anti-geocaching but doesn't want want a geocache on the specific piece of property.

And if the answer is yes, it would be good to know if a construction worker was asked to fill in the hole by whoever manages that piece of property. Many seem to be speculating that the person responsible is a geocacher, ex-geocacher, or anti-geoacher but I'm not convinced that it's not someone that isn't necessarily anti-geocaching but doesn't want want a geocache on the specific piece of property.

So after 12 years of no issues, it suddenly becomes a problem. The person sees the logbook and trackables, but instead of contacting anyone, they decide to return every few months and fill it in? I'm not buying it.

Or somebody walking up with a sack of concrete in their arms, looking much like this: :ph34r:?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I can see a construction crew doing this for giggles and grins.

Having worked on many job sites over the years I believe there is a high degree of probability.

Not to derail the thread but sheetrockers are the worst ... for giggles and grins they crumble their mess and drop it into plumbing drains and vents. Giggle and grins. Noooooo I am not a sheetrocker ... just cleaned up the results of their hi-jinx

Edited by humboldt flier

Having worked on many job sites over the years I believe there is a high degree of probability.

Not to derail the thread but sheetrockers are the worst ... for giggles and grins they crumble their mess and drop it into plumbing drains and vents. Giggle and grins. Noooooo I am not a sheetrocker ... just cleaned up the results of their hi-jinx

I'm sorry but your post is just disturbing.

I'm only 6 miles from GC12, have not gotten around to that one yet.

6 miles? Geeze, why don't you walk over there tonight? :unsure:

Who knows... it may be filled in with concrete tomorrow.

Walk? You said walk? You need to pull out the topo map of that area. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

That's exactly what I was thinking. There's no way anyone is taking a leisurely stroll over there! :laughing:

So it takes someone who has made disturbing posts to call a post disturbing? Oh-oh, I'm never going to get that gifted Premium Membership now! :D

Seriously, I think the post is fine. No different than me, who was in the Army Reserve for 22 years, saying "if you get a bunch of Army guys together, they will _____________" I actually kind of like the zany road crew worker goofing around theory. :)

So it takes someone who has made disturbing posts to call a post disturbing? Oh-oh, I'm never going to get that gifted Premium Membership now! :D

Seriously, I think the post is fine. No different than me, who was in the Army Reserve for 22 years, saying "if you get a bunch of Army guys together, they will _____________" I actually kind of like the zany road crew worker goofing around theory. :)

You mean like when someone put industrial foam in it? or the dirt or the other sand mix?

On the other hand maybe the post at Mingo just does not like to be disturbed, took matters into it's own hands, stripped off the fencing materials, uprooted itself, walked to town for a couple of bags of sach-crete found a pail of water and took action.

Now that is a seriously disturbed post.

I have to agree with many of these people in here that its time to archived it and move on. The main reason is because the CO isn't really in the game and only the cachers are putting throw down to keep it going which that shouldnt be.

As I recall, you said that last time as well... before the CO put down his own replacement.

Admittedly, I've been ignoring the drama for weeks now, but wasn't the last replacement not made by the CO but by some other group?

I have to agree with many of these people in here that its time to archived it and move on. The main reason is because the CO isn't really in the game and only the cachers are putting throw down to keep it going which that shouldnt be.

As I recall, you said that last time as well... before the CO put down his own replacement.

Admittedly, I've been ignoring the drama for weeks now, but wasn't the last replacement not made by the CO but by some other group?

Whether it was or wasn't the CO didn't seem to disclaim it.

If it went missing it's no longer the oldest cache. Why not archive it?

Near me we have the "Oldest Cache in the State" that's been replaced 4 times and moved at least once. I adopted the now 3rd oldest in the state, still in the original plastic box with original logbook and the photo's from the first camera. What one of the two is more historic?

Why not find out what cache is truly the "Oldest" and make that one special?

Mingo is really just the oldest active cache listing.

There are probably older original caches out there.

I suppose that's possible but I'd think after this long, if there was a cache that placed between May 3, 2000 (when the original stash was placed) and May 11th, 2000 (Mingo) and the cache information wasn't included in the 75 cache listings that were the geocaching.com site on September 3rd, 2000, we probably would have heard about it by now.

Personally, of all the earliest caches, the one like to find the most is "Rift Valley", the first virtual cache. It's in a pretty difficult area to get to in a remote part of Kenya and unlike Mingo with over 3200 finds, it's only been found 9 times since June 15, 2000.

I suppose that's possible but I'd think after this long, if there was a cache that placed between May 3, 2000 (when the original stash was placed) and May 11th, 2000 (Mingo) and the cache information wasn't included in the 75 cache listings that were the geocaching.com site on September 3rd, 2000, we probably would have heard about it by now.

Personally, of all the earliest caches, the one like to find the most is "Rift Valley", the first virtual cache. It's in a pretty difficult area to get to in a remote part of Kenya and unlike Mingo with over 3200 finds, it's only been found 9 times since June 15, 2000.

I think they mean there are caches out there that are still true to the way they were hid. That is still the same container and hide site.

Whether it was or wasn't the CO didn't seem to disclaim it.

It most certainly was NOT the CO. In the grand scheme of things, I'd say most CO's do not disclaim throw-downs.

In the end. Kansas Stasher did put his own out there to replace the throwdown.

(edit: I think. )

Edited by knowschad

In the end. Kansas Stasher did put his own out there to replace the throwdown.

(edit: I think. )

I'm so sure about that. However, after the initial bison tube replacement, someone replaced it with a container that mimic the container that went missing, including a new log book labeled "Mingo Log #4". It was not the typical throwdown.

I think they mean there are caches out there that are still true to the way they were hid. That is still the same container and hide site.

Yes, that is what I meant. Same original container. Same location.

I think GC12 is still the original logbook, isn't it? So, 2nd oldest cache has its original logbook still.

In October, someone said this...

Twice we took the wrong way but finally we found the bucket with the original Logbook

Personally I would be happy to find Mingo, original container / logbook or not, its still the same cache listing and location. However, I do agree, original logbooks are cool too.

If it went missing it's no longer the oldest cache. Why not archive it?

Near me we have the "Oldest Cache in the State" that's been replaced 4 times and moved at least once. I adopted the now 3rd oldest in the state, still in the original plastic box with original logbook and the photo's from the first camera. What one of the two is more historic?

Why not find out what cache is truly the "Oldest" and make that one special?

Reminds me of the old broom a farmer bragged had been in the family for 4 generations. Only had the handle replaced 4 times and the head replaced 5 times. <_<

Do we forget that if one of your cache containers goes missing do you replace it or do you archive the cache just because the original container is missing?

As long as there is a container there, whether the CO either did it or the CO allows someone do it, it's still the same old cache, just a different container.

If it is missing then it should be treated like one of your caches. Either the CO disables it til it is replaced or someone reports it needs maintenance and then NA.

Then it will either get replaced or eventually gets archived.

As it stands now, the CO disabled it and plans on repairing the site and replacing it.

Edited by jellis

I think GC12 is still the original logbook, isn't it? So, 2nd oldest cache has its original logbook still.

Twice we took the wrong way but finally we found the bucket with the original Logbook

Personally I would be happy to find Mingo, original container / logbook or not, its still the same cache listing and location. However, I do agree, original logbooks are cool too.

Arikaree (GC30) is just up the road from Mingo and has the original log book from May 2000 complete with the CO's original stash note. I do not think it is the original container though. Holding and signing that log was a bit of a neat experience for me.

Arikaree (GC30) is just up the road from Mingo and has the original log book from May 2000 complete with the CO's original stash note. I do not think it is the original container though. Holding and signing that log was a bit of a neat experience for me.

FYI, Arikaree is GC31, not GC30. Mingo is GC30. Sadly I have GC30 memorized as Mingo as am not a watcher of the cache but folks talk about it a lot in the forums.

Not to be pessimistic, but yet another throw-down. Barring a change in policy at the top, Mingo will always be the oldest active cache, with an endless parade of adoring "fans" always willing to throw a cache down. It's a park-n-grab. The site has been compromised. Let it go.

It shows that numbers are important. I was really proud of those cachers that logged those DNF log on that cache. I would done the same. In my DNF log, I would make it very clear that I am a real man that can handle bumps along the road. :laughing:

Not to be pessimistic, but yet another throw-down. Barring a change in policy at the top, Mingo will always be the oldest active cache, with an endless parade of adoring "fans" always willing to throw a cache down. It's a park-n-grab. The site has been compromised. Let it go.

Funny so is the Original stash tribute Plaque cache but they didn't archive that after so many times it's been muggled and still listing Travelbugs that are lost forever.

p.s Wouldn't a throw down be considered without permission by owner. Seems the CO gave it's blessing on that one.

Edited by jellis

Funny so is the Original stash tribute Plaque cache but they didn't archive that after so many times it's been muggled and still listing Travelbugs that are lost forever.

p.s Wouldn't a throw down be considered without permission by owner. Seems the CO gave it's blessing on that one.

Thats another story. Lets not go there. :ph34r:

Anyone notice the latest Needs Maintenance log?

"It appears that the cache has been taken. We found a laminated [redacted].us tag on the ground but that was all."

Hmmmm.

Unless I'm missing something, that log was made almost 2 weeks ago, so I don't have a clue what you're trying to hint at.

And I'm not sure if that means what you think it means. the .us site has nothing to do with the major GPS manufacturer's site.

Exactly, everyone wants to scream that the cache should be treated just like any other cache until it actually is. Scores of caches are replaced by a third party with the blessing of the cache owner, but when it happens in this case, they still cry foul.

Anyone notice the latest Needs Maintenance log?

"It appears that the cache has been taken. We found a laminated [redacted].us tag on the ground but that was all."

Hmmmm.

Well lets see. I have been a huge critic of the Mingo drama, and think it should be archived. I am also one of the most well-known users and supporters of Opencaching.us. The tag was put there to implicate me, of course. Never mind I haven't been in Kansas since 1967. :lol:

I can actually see someone placing an alternative Geocaching game cache near Mingo. And guess what? There are 6 of them (probably all plastered on the same sign) for the [NAME REDACTED] game. If you don't hear from me again after this, that means I have been banned from the forums for a month for even hinting at what that is. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Exactly, everyone wants to scream that the cache should be treated just like any other cache until it actually is. Scores of caches are replaced by a third party with the blessing of the cache owner, but when it happens in this case, they still cry foul.

That depends. Replaced by a third party with permission of the cache owner before going to the site? I don't have too much of a problem with that. I said before, most cache owners accept throw-downs, with that being the key phrase, it's a throw-down if you do it without asking ahead of time.

That depends. Replaced by a third party with permission of the cache owner before going to the site? I don't have too much of a problem with that. I said before, most cache owners accept throw-downs, with that being the key phrase, it's a throw-down if you do it without asking ahead of time.

Not all throw-downs are the same. From what I've read, many throw-down caches when someone can't find the cache (that may or may not be missing) and drops cheap container, typically a film can, just so that they log a find and probably don't really care if it lasts beyond their own "find". In those cases, rarely does the person dropping the throw-down attempt to "replace" the original container with one that is similar in size, hiding style etc. In the case of the previous throw-down for Mingo, the person that did it attempted to actually replace the container with one that was like the original in order to perpetuate the cache for others to find. Of course, the difference between that throw-down and others was that a reviewer had specifically commented on the bison-tube replacements that were previously done.