Mingo gone again?

jellis

I should be up to the owner to try to save it or not. It just seems to me a bunch of people that already have Mingo are screaming archive. I thought the Geo community was better than that.

I haven't found it, and I say "Archive It". It seems to get special treatment. They archived the APE caches, why not this one?

I should be up to the owner to try to save it or not. It just seems to me a bunch of people that already have Mingo are screaming archive. I thought the Geo community was better than that.

I haven't found it, and I say "Archive It". It seems to get special treatment. They archived the APE caches, why not this one?

I haven't found it, and really don't care if this one cache is or isn't archived, just as long it and every other cache out there get treated the same.

Is that too much to ask?

When I saw that this, and looked at some recent photos, I noticed the container had changed AGAIN. It was a large can and in the photos it now is a tupperware container.

In Colorado the container for the oldest Colorado cache (GC18) was recently taken again and it is a 5-Gallon orange bucket!! A great cacher drove over 100 miles RT to replace it for the CO.

I have stopped putting TB's in any container unless it is a premium. Cuts down on stolen TB's (not always).

Due to its location whomever is messing with Mingo is doing it on purpose! Maybe the CO should change it to a Virtual.

:angry:

I still say its really rude for someone to put an archive request on it. I mean, its only been missing a few days....and yes, I know the CO has not replaced it that quickly in the past but an archive request?

Missing perhaps 10/27/12?

Archive request 10/29/12

give me a break. Its only up the CO, its not like the A.P.E. cache which had all these arguable historical rules that it had to be the original container. If weeks had gone by and you have actually visited GZ recently, perhaps, but 2 days by someone who is too chicken to use their real account to do the archive request? Chicken excrement.

When I saw that this, and looked at some recent photos, I noticed the container had changed AGAIN. It was a large can and in the photos it now is a tupperware container.

In Colorado the container for the oldest Colorado cache (GC18) was recently taken again and it is a 5-Gallon orange bucket!! A great cacher drove over 100 miles RT to replace it for the CO.

I have stopped putting TB's in any container unless it is a premium. Cuts down on stolen TB's (not always).

Due to its location whomever is messing with Mingo is doing it on purpose! Maybe the CO should change it to a Virtual.

:angry:

Sorry to say, that won't happen. If the CO tried that, the cache page will be archived within seconds. I see that happen before.

...but 2 days by someone who is too chicken to use their real account to do the archive request?

And obviously someone that isn't very well-versed in the guidelines or history of this cache. Mingo has been grandfathered, so the fact that it's partially buried isn't grounds for archival.

I wish people would stop throwing down. This cache needed to go away a long time ago, but the constant throwdowns just keep prolonging the inevitable. Be a man (or woman) and take the DNF.

Edited by The A-Team

Sorry to say, that won't happen. If the CO tried that, the cache page will be archived within seconds. I see that happen before.

I see my example in Oregon is still alive. Its a traditional with more than a few favorite points that the only way to log it is to take a picture at GZ. I see my log has been decryped as it mentioned the phrase:...."thanks for this virtual, er traditional cache."

He keeps encrypting logs who mention its just a virtual. Kinda cheesy, its obvious by the description it has no container, so why encrypt logs is beyond me.

Edited by lamoracke

...but 2 days by someone who is too chicken to use their real account to do the archive request?

And obviously someone that isn't very well-versed in the guidelines or history of this cache. Mingo has been grandfathered, so the fact that it's partially buried isn't grounds for archival.

I wish people would stop throwing down. This cache needed to go away a long time ago, but the constant throwdowns just keep prolonging the inevitable. Be a man (or woman) and take the DNF.

Like the last cacher did. I would done the same.

I felt like someone was a little quick posting the "Needs archived" log about six hours after the "Needs Maintenance" log. Seems like any cache owner should have more time than that to check on a report stating maintenance is needed regardless of the cache or cache owner's history.

Write note10/29/2012Probably like beating a dead cat but I also was very disappointed to find this cache had been recently vandalized. Hadn't seen Dejesky's post with image when we went looking and came up with similar result Write note10/29/2012Probably like beating a dead cat but I also was very disappointed to find this cache had been recently vandalized. Hadn't seen Dejesky's post with image when we went looking and came up with similar results other than someone had tried digging through the concrete with an old railroad spike. I started at it too, but knew quickly it was in vain and continued off down hwy 70 just a tad bummed. 8(

(

NA is appropriate, seems Mingo Needs Archeology.

Edited by Roman!

You can still see the bucket. Just fix it, log it and move on.

The problem is the CO doesnt fix it fast enough. Many people are planning to do that cache for months and some are likely on the road on the way to it and not aware of what going on right now. This is why alot of people do the throw down method because they want that smiley that bad!

I wasn't thinking CO. Am I the only one who keeps a mallet in the trunk?

Yep you are, I carry a chainsaw once a while but I dont think that would help in this case. :ph34r:

It sure would help, if you saw who was trashing it. :anibad:

The problem is the CO doesnt fix it fast enough. Many people are planning to do that cache for months and some are likely on the road on the way to it and not aware of what going on right now. This is why alot of people do the throw down method because they want that smiley that bad!

Yep you are, I carry a chainsaw once a while but I dont think that would help in this case. :ph34r:

Like this? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink::ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Like this? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink::ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Why not? You could attach a TB tag to each body part and send them off in different directions at once.

Why not? You could attach a TB tag to each body part and send them off in different directions at once.

Thats just wrong wrong wrong. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

With this new picture is up, I noticed that people are digging around the outside of the pipe. BAD BAD BAD. Thats totally against the guideline. Having a cache in the pipe is one thing but breaking ground at GZ is a no no.

da2fde77-cc78-4091-9ac4-0163c96fe779.jpg

Plus, they are leaving a mess on the left side of the picture. :blink:

Edited by SwineFlew

I would say he must be bitter enough to take it out Mingo by doing the NA

The NA does not take out anything so perhaps bitterness has nothing to do with it, but perhaps it is once again time for a reviewer to look at it and at least determine if it should be disabled. I never felt Mingo to be anything but a container by the side of a road so I am glad that I would not be in the position of being the one entrusted to make any decisions regarding it. Not an enviable role.

Edited by geodarts

The NA does not take out anything so perhaps bitterness has nothing to do with it, but perhaps it is once again time for a reviewer to look at it and at least determine if it should be disabled. I never felt Mingo to be anything but a container by the side of a road so I am glad that I would not be in the position of being the one entrusted to make any decisions regarding it. Not an enviable role.

Most reviewers wont touch it with a 10 foot pole. :ph34r: I dont blame them. I know a few that will put on a fire suit and do it.

Most reviewers wont touch it with a 10 foot pole. :ph34r: I dont blame them. I know a few that will put on a fire suit and do it.

Didn't Hemlock do it last. Nomex wears the fire suit :D

Didn't Hemlock do it last. Nomex wears the fire suit :D

Yes Hemlock did it but the cache didnt get archived but really close! I will be really surprise if he takes that job again.

Not the first to notice this...as on 07Oct2012...these two logs... by MustangJoni and by JoyfulNomad Find # 3606 @ 2:14:00 PM.; then again...this log... bydejesky on Sunday 28Oct2012...

So, to throw down this cache...one needs to replace with in kind cache container...as per Hemlock!

Thus, a new challenge to continue this oldest cache...one must acquire such a similar container, with a replacement Log book #6...as per this replacement cache log...by Chronevia

I'd recommend bringing several batteries for a hammer drill along with a charger...along with a tripod equipped with a winch...to lift the plug...meaning...one wasn't able to attach such an attachment which allows such removal...thus the need for numerous replacement batteries to facilitate such removal of fore mentioned concrete plug...

I may or may not head towards such a throw down cache container...as I've limited knowledge about same...first of all I'll need to acquire a such re-chargeable hammer-drill to facilitate such placement of said anchor...also must fabricate such tripod to lift out said concrete poured plug! Alas...much planning...along with recent Intel as to such composition of fore mentioned concrete plug...

Sincerely

Ken

Thanks for the inspiration. I am now founding a new Geocaching organization. The He-Man Mingo Haters Club. If I throw up a forum on the internets, do I get a link in the pinned Geocaching organizations thread?

I'm only 6 miles from GC12, have not gotten around to that one yet.

6 miles? Geeze, why don't you walk over there tonight? :unsure:

Who knows... it may be filled in with concrete tomorrow.

Walk? You said walk? You need to pull out the topo map of that area. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Doesn't look so tough, as long as you come at it from one of the forest service roads up on top, especially if you start at the end of FS-105. Looks like some large grassy fields much of the way. Of course, maps can certainly be misleading.

All that needs to be done is to hold an event at the cache. Set up a small tarp, have others bring food and refreshments, as well as implements of restoration, archive the cache, and the property would be restored quite quickly.

That would reward the person who is destroying it. Undoubtedly they would then be encouraged to move on to the next oldest cache. Whoever it is, probably does not live nearby and travels frequently, so they would undoubtedly be very happy and continue their obsession. There is more than enough community support to keep it going.

Walk? You said walk? You need to pull out the topo map of that area. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Doesn't look so tough, as long as you come at it from one of the forest service roads up on top, especially if you start at the end of FS-105. Looks like some large grassy fields much of the way. Of course, maps can certainly be misleading.

When I did GC12 back in June I was able to park within @200' or so of it. I've found all three oldest caches (Mingo, GC12 and Beverly) and last one is by far the longest walk.

I am talking about NF-3626 (SE Wildcat Mountain Dr) and its very steep. He said he lives 6 miles from there, I am thinking hes talking about as the crow flies. If he lives in area that require you to go around alot of maintains, it will be a long way for sure. Its an easy to walk from this cache if you follow the logging roads. (Google map on geocaching.com doesnt show you those other logging roads in the area). If you go to the end of FS-105 (that take you to a old gravel pit and you park there) and you can follow a hiking trail from there. (its the same trail that take you to the other old cache to the east of there)

When I did GC12 back in June I was able to park within @200' or so of it. I've found all three oldest caches (Mingo, GC12 and Beverly) and last one is by far the longest walk.

Part of the logging road is now closed of this year of what I am seeing in logs and pictures. Its like a one mile one way hike to it now.

Edited by SwineFlew

I am talking about NF-3626 (SE Wildcat Mountain Dr) and its very steep. He said he lives 6 miles from there, I am thinking hes talking about as the crow flies. If he lives in area that require you to go around alot of maintains, it will be a long way for sure. Its an easy to walk from this cache if you follow the logging roads. (Google map on geocaching.com doesnt show you those other logging roads in the area). If you go to the end of FS-105 (that take you to a old gravel pit and you park there) and you can follow a hiking trail from there. (its the same trail that take you to the other old cache to the east of there)

I offroaded almost 4/5ths of the way from the south before having to turn back and take the correct route. That 6 miles would be a tough walk even on that logging road.

Gosh, being last to find is definitely not an honor! We (Hedge Hopper and I)left GCF in Denver early Sunday morning and headed over to Mingo. We had planned to spend a couple more days on the road, but I was missing my cats! LOL - I'm not sure what time we got there, but there wasn't a soul in sight when we arrived.

We found the cache quickly, signed the log, took some photos and left a couple of pathtags. We headed down the road and actually made it home to Dallas around 10pm that night! We both logged the cache and I didn't give it a second thought until about a week later a friend emailed me to let me know that it got muggled after we found it.

I'm sad that there are people out there who find joy in spoiling fun for others. I don't have an opinion on if the cache should be archived or not. If the owner wants to continue to maintain it, then it is up to him.

I offroaded almost 4/5ths of the way from the south before having to turn back and take the correct route. That 6 miles would be a tough walk even on that logging road.

Not sure which road we came in on. Lamoracke knows. We ended up parking between 12 and 17. This was in June last year and 12 was a beautiful green walk through the forest. By the time we got there we could hear voices from the other access. Then we just walked back toward the car and past it to 17. That had patches of snow that my mended sprain ankle had to be careful of.

Gosh, being last to find is definitely not an honor! We (Hedge Hopper and I)left GCF in Denver early Sunday morning and headed over to Mingo. We had planned to spend a couple more days on the road, but I was missing my cats! LOL - I'm not sure what time we got there, but there wasn't a soul in sight when we arrived.

We found the cache quickly, signed the log, took some photos and left a couple of pathtags. We headed down the road and actually made it home to Dallas around 10pm that night! We both logged the cache and I didn't give it a second thought until about a week later a friend emailed me to let me know that it got muggled after we found it.

I'm sad that there are people out there who find joy in spoiling fun for others. I don't have an opinion on if the cache should be archived or not. If the owner wants to continue to maintain it, then it is up to him.

Did you see anything while you were there? Like a parked car or anything in the general area?