Unrolling logs to sign...

dartymoor

Is it considered 'bad form' not to write your log chronologically? Ie, unroll fully, find the right page, and then sign?

Personally, as a CO, I couldn't really give a monkeys, but perhaps other COs feel differently, or other cachers following might want to see if someone's ahead of them on a trail.

Yesterday I was doing it a lot on a long trail. Quite a few logs were damp, so I felt it was risky unrolling the, but to be honest, a large percentage I signed on the outside of the roll more for speed than anything. The rules don't specify where you have to sign, only that you must.

I just wondered if this might induce tutting?

Is it considered 'bad form' not to write your log chronologically? Ie, unroll fully, find the right page, and then sign?

Personally, as a CO, I couldn't really give a monkeys, but perhaps other COs feel differently, or other cachers following might want to see if someone's ahead of them on a trail.

Yesterday I was doing it a lot on a long trail. Quite a few logs were damp, so I felt it was risky unrolling the, but to be honest, a large percentage I signed on the outside of the roll more for speed than anything. The rules don't specify where you have to sign, only that you must.

Unroll? Aren't logs usually little notebooks? Oh, you mean those fiddly so called caches in film cans that seem to have taken over.

I do try and sign in order, which can be a pain if there are several sheets rolled up, and trying to unroll them to find the last log can be tricky. Having said that if the log is almost full or damp then I'll sign in any space or on any dry spot regardless.

I did do a micro up a tree once, it was quite a high and difficult climb (for a 50 year old anyway!) and by the time I could go no further I could just reach the cache while wedged into a cleft between branches. I didn't have the nerve or strength to unroll the log fully, and didn't want to risk dropping it and having to do the climb again so I signed the first blank space I came to.

To be honest I doubt whether many people read their micro logs anyway so I can't see anyone getting upset about it.

It doesn't really matter where you sign if you include a date and time with your log.

I wouldn't hold it against you if you were stuck in a tree trying to find a free spot in the log, or if you tried to find a spot to sign on a damp log,

but other than that, I see little reason not to try signing in order. Unless the place is muggle central, there is no reason to not spend an extra couple of minutes near a cache to sign in the "right" spot.

It doesn't really matter where you sign if you include a date and time with your log.

There is no reason or need to include the time in the log. Sometimes the FTF will include the time so later finders will know by how much they missed getting a FTF but otherwise the time is just a waste of space.

I suggested it for people who don't sign the next page in the log - as is the topic of the thread. That way if more than one person finds it on the same day, you can at least see what order they visited in.

It's by no means a requirement, but if you don't sign in the right location, it's an extra thing you can do to help the CO and subsequent cachers.

I always try and sign in order although sometimes this is difficult when log rolls comprise of a mixed up combination of different sheets. Sometimes I will sign at an obvious place in a column of names only to find when I am rolling it back up that three other cachers have signed that month on a different sheet.

Also, why is my 'next available space' on a nano log always at the furthest point to the the centre of the roll. This always seems to happen!! (mental note - try and be FTF on nano's more often is maybe the answer)

I must admit to being really OCD about signing the log in the 'right' place. If you're following a series, it's interesting if the cacher before you doesn't sign the log (presumably DNF'd it) or suddenly there's another cacher's name on one or two logs, then never again. Makes for interesting tales, we take it in turns to make up stranger, scarier stories about what could have happened to him/her/them! :lol: Ok, perhaps that's just us :laughing: Anyway, I still think you should sign in the 'right' place!

I'd say that "bad form" is exactly the term I'd use. It's nice to have a log in order, but I don't really care if you mess the order up...if I even noticed. The one case I mind is when people sign the outside of a nano log because they can't be bothered to unroll it, especially when that means I have to unroll it to sign the last slot on the front side.

No, it wouldn't raise up to the level of tutting for me, and I doubt for anyone else, either. If you were my friend, it might -- might -- make it up to the level of giving you a bad time.

I don't care what people think of not fully unrolling the log. When I'm dealing with a nano and cold hands I unscrew the nano and write my initials on the piece of paper that's visible, often without even taking it out of the lid. If I unroll it the chances are I won't roll it up tight enough to go in, in which case I'd tear enough of the log off so that I could roll it up.

I suspect most cache owners would rather find "TT" scrawled over the top of something else than half the log disappearing, with the associated need for an earlier maintenance visit.

You could get some little stickers that you can stick on the outside of the container, this could save you a few more seconds per cache!

Ah yes, just what the nano needs is stickers over the outside. Still, it means you get to log a find with "I couldn't be bothered to open the cache so put a sticker on it" and Needs Maintenance with "Can't open the cache, some idiot put a sticker over it".

I try to sign in order.... but in cases where 'log integrity' is in question or the log is full, I'll sign where-ever possible.

A situation occurred to me this past summer.... a cache that was recently published. I went out to try and get an FTF. The container had a little notepad booklet inside. I signed the first page - below where the CO wrote the cache name and 'Good Luck' - I assumed I had the FTF because there were no other signatures there.

I logged the FTF immediately online. Later that day - 2 other people logged the same cache as a team FTF.

There was some obvious confusion of 'who' got the FTF. I went back to the cache and looked. Those 2 people signed the BACKSIDE of the booklet. I signed the front. I actually took pictures of the booklet to show them....

They apologized..... and I had to relinquish my FTF. :angry:

So yeah...in a case of an FTF, it really does matter where you sign!!

i also sign in order if possible but then that is how i like to do that, plus i try to use as little space as possible, unless the log is full and then i have to sign over another signature, but if this happens i always state that on my log online once back home as, "no room and had to sign over someone else's". but i now carry spare logs to help out if i can at caches. what bugs me is someone saying 'no room to sign' but the other side of the log roll is empty!