Problem Loading POI on to Garmin Nuvi 13xx series

Hi All,

I wonder if you can help me, I am having problems loading one specific gpx file on to my Nuvi 1310 via a GSAK macro made by jjreds, and the Garmin POI loader. Other exports (my finds for example) load find onto the Nuvi. When I try and load this one, the poi loader gives the error

"There is a data format error on line 1 of the file C:\Garmin\Test2\Traditional Tourgide.gpx. The data earlier in the file will be written, but no more data can be read from this file."

I am really unsure what to do, I need this GPX for holiday! :-)

Incidentally, when i try in GSAK and import the Traditional Tourgide.gpx (created by the jjreds macro) file into a blank DB in GSAK, i get the error:"Badly formed UTF-8 character in stream"

Many Thanks,

Graham

About the only way to find these characters is by process of elimination. If you are comfortable using notepad you can process a .gpx file as text and by halfing the entries find the guilty entry. Don't expect to find the bad character or characters, just the bad entry. Sorry I can't give an example but our travelling laptop doesn't have .gpx files on it.

We are on the Danube and I recall a Prague geocache caused my O550 problems. I used the above process to find the problem.

Cheers from (almost) Salzburg.

Did anybody find a solution to this problem?

I have exactly the same issue. I loaded new pocket queries to gsak last night and then it made the error when loading the gpx to my garmin 1390.

I tried a couple different macros and they all choked, so I deleted my entire database and only loaded a few and it worked but when I loaded a pocket query with all my local caches it choked again. I didn't do anything different this time and its been working for years, I suspect somehow invalid/illegal characters in the pocket queries that don't affect Gsak but through the poi loader for a loop.

I am going to try a few old versions of poi loader and see if that helps as I'm using the newest one now if may be the issue.

I too was getting this message after many previous successful transfers... This is what I tried... I opened the file made by the macro using notepad, did a search for ? using CTRL F and deleted those found to half way down the file. Some were single, some ?? and some with more in the one place. Stopped at this point, re-ran POI Loader and it accepted the file without the invalid message. There were still some ? left in the file but must have removed the culprit ... great feeling! This was for a Nuvi 255W but solution should be universal.

The following works for me...

Save the gpx file to your computer

Open this gpx file in notepad

Find and delete all occurrences of ???? and maybe ??? (use the search function!)

These can occur in cache names or logs!

Save the file

Re-open in GSAK

Export nto nuvi ... works for me using Nuvi 255W but probably all the same...