things that make a great cache

tez_i

Ok, I've found iro 200 caches and placed my first 5 out there in the wild.....with at least another 5 caches 'brewing'

The advice that you find lots of caches before hiding any so you 'know' what makes a great cache is very logical advice - until, I now realise the blindingly obvious - what *I* think makes a great cache is not the same as what you think!

So I've had mainly positive feedback from my hides, which is a nice start, and it also means I'm begining to catch on to what other people think are great cache attributes, which in some cases was exactly what I planned and in others an unexpected by-product of a the hide process. I would love to read more about what other people think are factors that turn a geocache into a 'great geocache'.

The things I've come up with from my feedback -

being able to park nearby

interesting containers

people hate ivy!

people like to have the chance to search in peace

Ok, I've found iro 200 caches and placed my first 5 out there in the wild.....with at least another 5 caches 'brewing'

The advice that you find lots of caches before hiding any so you 'know' what makes a great cache is very logical advice - until, I now realise the blindingly obvious - what *I* think makes a great cache is not the same as what you think!

So I've had mainly positive feedback from my hides, which is a nice start, and it also means I'm begining to catch on to what other people think are great cache attributes, which in some cases was exactly what I planned and in others an unexpected by-product of a the hide process. I would love to read more about what other people think are factors that turn a geocache into a 'great geocache'.

interesting containers

people hate ivy!

A great walk

A lovely view

Unusual or challenging terrain

An interesting or historical place

Originality

An ingenious hide

Humour

An informative cache page

A container of good size and quality, appropriate to the hide

Well maintained, kept clean and dry, and with an original and interesting collection of swaps.

A surprise

Something that makes me struggle

Something that makes me laugh

Enough to be going on with? :lol:

Rgds, Andy

As in real estate.....

Location, Location, Location!

The gist behind geocaching is to take somebody to where they may never otherwise get to or see.

If you thought it was otherwise, I fear you may be missing the point.

It really has little to do with a container, SWAG or much of anything else that is (now) commonly associated with geocaching.

location-location-location! yes - lol

One of my hides is in what I though was a really stupid location - I ummmed and urrred over even bothering to place it.....yet it has the most finds and the most compliments about its spot: It in a daft, easy to access, urban spot with no obvious point of interest - until I did start to research the history, which turned out to be somewhat unusual (if you have ever thought about modern architecture), and that's what finally tipped my balance for making the hide.

So....what about location?

I'm getting the idea that there is quite a lot to 'location'!

Two things for me:

• The hide
  • The location

For the majority of caches, I think it's the location that is most important. The way I play the game, many of my finds are when I am travelling in unfamiliar areas, looking for good places to go for a run or a walk. Finding new places to explore close to home is good too. I can put up with a fairly boring hide (35mm can under a rock, tupperware under an Unusual Pile of Sticks, etc.), so long as it's in an interesting location: history, views, etc. Conversely, I'm not terribly impressed hunting for a cache in some dingy back ally, even if it does have really good camouflage.

But that said, for a great cache, you need a good hide as well. In that I'd include puzzles, interesting containers, ingenious hiding places and so on. And it has to carry through the whole experience. I do like the achievement of solving a really challenging puzzle, but it's a bit of a let down if it's a grotty physical hide or a poor location.

interesting containers

people hate ivy!

This is a great thread, not least of which because it shows you're giving it some thought.

I think all of the things you've mentioned above mostly hold true... maybe with the exception of ivy. I say that because I think it's just the 'needle in a haystack' search which people find frustrating. An ivy hide can be fine - so long as there's a hint to take you there and soething that means you're not hunting endlessly in a huge area. You can sometimes have a similar problem with one rock in a huge pile of rocks or one tree in a dense forest with poor accuracy.

What I appreciate when caching is certainly having the CO let me know that I can park somewhere. I doesn't necessarily have to be close by, but I really DO appreciate the forethought which goes in to someone saving me the hassle of trying to work out where will be good to park... particularly when I've come a long way, or may not have a lot of time, or just don't know the area like the locals do. Don't forget someone coming for your cache may have come some distance.

The other thing which I think is non-negotiable is maintenance. It's awful opening a box to find a soggy/moudly mess and I have a LOT of time for conscientious cachers who respond to reports of problems in a timely manner (and conversely, - maybe I shouldn't admit this..... - I don't have so much time for those who just plant and leave it... ).

What I WILL disagree with is the following assertion, if I may:

The gist behind geocaching is to take somebody to where they may never otherwise get to or see.

People go geocaching for LOTS of reasons and there have been plenty of caches I've enjoyed which are in places I know already. For example, people with kids do do it for the swag and swapsies (I have to say, I don't do the swapping thing, but some people do) and others do it for the numbers. Some do it for the challenge; I'm a GREAT challenge fan! I like to stretch myself so having a continuous streak or a certain number or combination of caches in a day is something which really interests me. I also like an unusual D/T rating too!

The thing is, it's a LOT of things to different people. You'll never please everyone, BUT if you've done as you suggest and given it some thought and put out a cache YOU'D like, then you can be proud of it.

What I appreciate when caching is certainly having the CO let me know that I can park somewhere. I doesn't necessarily have to be close by, but I really DO appreciate the forethought which goes in to someone saving me the hassle of trying to work out where will be good to park... particularly when I've come a long way, or may not have a lot of time, or just don't know the area like the locals do. Don't forget someone coming for your cache may have come some distance.

Yes, I whole heartedly agree! I've been careful to put parking info on my listings where appropriate - It is so frustrating getting to what looks like a great little place to cache only to find absolutely nowhere to safely or legally leave a car.

I also take a great deal of time setting the attributes accurately, so people can make a wise choice in attempting my cache for their own reasons - or not if its not their kind of cache.

People go geocaching for LOTS of reasons and there have been plenty of caches I've enjoyed which are in places I know already. For example, people with kids do do it for the swag and swapsies (I have to say, I don't do the swapping thing, but some people do) and others do it for the numbers. Some do it for the challenge; I'm a GREAT challenge fan! I like to stretch myself so having a continuous streak or a certain number or combination of caches in a day is something which really interests me. I also like an unusual D/T rating too!

This is what I've been thinking about - I've realised that I cache for at least 3 different reasons myself. As my own hobby I like a mental challenge with a physical element; as a hobby with my son, what we like is a short stroll and a nice box with good swaps and perhaps something else interesting in the area like trains to see; as a dog-walker I like caches that take me to new places to exercise a ball of boundless energy!.....oh and as a tourist I love a cache that takes me somewhere I wouldn't have known about......so that makes 4 reasons!

It seems in my area there are a lot of number's game players - which is of course a perfectly good reason to play.

I guess I'm interested in knowing what other people also want to get out of a cache experience.

I think all of the things you've mentioned above mostly hold true... maybe with the exception of ivy. I say that because I think it's just the 'needle in a haystack' search which people find frustrating. An ivy hide can be fine - so long as there's a hint to take you there and soething that means you're not hunting endlessly in a huge area. You can sometimes have a similar problem with one rock in a huge pile of rocks or one tree in a dense forest with poor accuracy.

The other thing which I think is non-negotiable is maintenance. It's awful opening a box to find a soggy/moudly mess and I have a LOT of time for conscientious cachers who respond to reports of problems in a timely manner (and conversely, - maybe I shouldn't admit this..... - I don't have so much time for those who just plant and leave it... ).

The thing is, it's a LOT of things to different people. You'll never please everyone, BUT if you've done as you suggest and given it some thought and put out a cache YOU'D like, then you can be proud of it.

I fear that you too, may "be missing the point".... at least of what the statement is about, if you blankly reject that suggestion.

The reasons why people geocache certainly may be uncountable. The individual's concept of what geocaching is about surely can be different than that of another's, but if the location is not held as one of the primary reasons for placement, then this recreation is doomed.

A bus stop or an LPC could even fit into this concept (sadly, they usually don't). A climb to a mountain top; a glen within a dark forest; a hike to a special place; a tiny park; many paths and alleyways, all and much more, may be good candidates, regardless of how near or far it may be. It needn't be a grand vista, nor need it be a pristine area that requires a day hike to achieve. There are rooftop caches that seemingly make the rest of the caching day "boring", especially when there is 162 meters setting them apart from one another.

A unique (or even copied) placement style, camouflage job, hide type and yes, even cache size all play a part. But to not consider the location factor can and often does very well negate all of the above.

In short, to make a placement simply because there is room available to do so is one of the poorest reasons to place it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I'm not sure I rejected the suggestion that for some people an important aspect of geocaching is getting to see somewhere new. What I disagreed with was the concept that if anyone thinks otherwise they are missing the point of the game.

I am all for a hide which gets you somewhere new.

I am all for a hobby which gets you to an interesting location.

I'm not sure, I think there is one reason only for geocaching, I think there are many. But I do disagree with the assertion the "If you think geocaching is about anything other than getting you somewhere you've never been you are missing the point" which is what the original post said. And I think it's important to recognise that people who think differently from the poster who put that aren't somehow "wrong" when they place or find a cache for a different reason. I think there is room for lots of motivating factors. What motivates one person will not necessarily motivate another.

I think you may have misinterpreted my words and inferred meanings which were not intended. I'm not sure I "blankly rejected" anything, to be honest.

Hi tez_i

I will add a little of my experience to this thread as I too have given a great deal of thought prior to placing caches for others to "Go Get"!

I currently have forty five hides with almost all of them being unique in their construction and method of retrieval, that said I do like inventing & building but the biggest problem is always making it "Cacher Proof"!

With the best will in the world not everyone will understand the concept or bother replacing a hide the way it was intended, I've learnt the hard way and often make adjustments afterward when people manage to rearrange the hide :rolleyes:

As previous people have said being prompt with maintenance is very important as none of us like to find a log book that is more water than paper having discovered the hide.

For the most part I like to hide caches in rural locations I tend not to search for urban hides as I get really self-conscious about how dodgy I must look to the people that live nearby!

I get a great many response's to say they had fun or laughed when they discovered the hide and that makes it all worthwhile, pleased to have given someone else a nice day out :D

John

OP> ... interesting containers ...

There's one nearby that is a (plastic) banana hanging a little way up a tree. It gets loads of favourite votes, but to me it just looks like conspicuous littering (remnants of a student night out, that sort of thing). It just makes me cringe. I know I'm in the minority on this but, still, I'd be wary of "interesting" containers.

interesting containers

people hate ivy!

Ivy isn't bad in and of itself, ivy is just one way that a search becomes mindlessly repetitive. If I'm looking for a film pot in an ivy covered tree and I'm surrounded by ivy covered trees the only option is to either search each one in excruciating detail or move on. Likewise if I'm looking for a nano on a very long metal fence it's just a question of feeling along every single corner until it's found, and the whole thing becomes a test of endurance rather than skill in spotting something out of place. Some people like such hides, although personally I don't.

Parking nearby isn't a problem, a lot of caches are at the furthest point of a long and enjoyable walk. Knowing what to expect is always a good thing, it's nice to know whether I can reach the cache without getting out of the car or if I've got a walk that's a few miles each way. If I need to be able to park it's nice to have some suggested parking coordinates, as well as an idea of whether the parking is a pay-and-display car park with lots of spaces or a gravel strip at the roadside that I might drive past before realising what it was.

Searching in peace is also nice, although it can't be guaranteed a number of people (myself included) tend to feel very exposed hunting a nano in a busy area, especially a residential area. In the US there are a few "skirtlifter" caches, where the cache is hidden under the "skirt" at the bottom of a lamp post. The trouble with those is that it can be hard to lift the skirt without making a lot of noise, and if you're seen lifting the skirt or putting something underneath it then it's immediately obvious you're doing something very unusual and possibly suspicious. With the modern day paranoia over anything that might be terror-related it seems like a good way to cause problems.

Container is also not a major concern, as long as it will survive the elements. I'd rather find a film pot at a glorious overlook than an ammo can just chucked in an unremarkable part of an unremarkable wood for no reason other than it being 0.1 mile from the nearest cache. For all the smilies are nice it's good to have a reason to go somewhere other than to just hunt some random piece of tupperware to get a yellow spot on an online map.

One other thing, setting attributes is also useful. I do a lot of caching on a bicycle so it's good to know if a cache is in an area where I'm not allowed to cycle (or where cycling isn't physically possible). Likewise for people who ride horses, walk dogs etc it's good to know what to expect. It's a bit of a bind planning to go out by bike only to find I get within a couple of miles and have to either leave the bike (not always possible, especially the days I don't expect to leave it and don't take a lock) or walk the last two miles along a footpath feeling very conspicuous. I guess dog owners would get equally irritated if they found the cache in an area that didn't allow dogs.

My own view in summary form:

- Any decent container in a good location is a good cache.

- A special hide/container (and/or puzzle), even in an unexciting location can be good.

- The great caches tend to combine both a great location and hide/container (and/or puzzle), plus other aspects. Andy/Amberel provided a good list..

I like both urban and countryside caches, each hold their own interest. A difficult urban cache makes me think of inventive ways to search the area without having local residents phoning the police about the strange guy loitering in their street. So far I have been a workman complete with toolbox, a street cleaner, a market researcher with clipboard (It's amazing how invisible you become with a clipboard, LOL). I like the urban caches as it takes me to parts of towns I normally miss. As to the lack of stunning vistas in urban caching, there is some really good architecture out there which many of us drive past every day without realising.

For me a good cache should be in an interesting location, the cache should be well maintained and an interesting container is a bonus. Caches that are part of a set appeal to me, I will return several times to get the last tricky cache to complete a set. Caches that mark out a route to walk or travel are also great. I think everyone has their own reasons for geocaching, from the purists to the drive-by cachers, Personally I think there is no right or wrong way to geocache, it is a fun hobby that gets me off my a** and outside into the fresh air, no matter how I play the game, that's got to be a good thing.

Nobby.Nobbs and I live within half a mile of the beautiful New Forest. It's a stunning place, and thanks to the New Forest Agreement, affords great caching.

It's quite usual for the immediate half mile or so around the forest boundary to be less dense. So, we were sat at home one evening in September when Nobby pointed out that there was a new series of caches right in the village where we live.

We looked at the locations and thought...."really???" and left them.

This weekend we found ourselves with some free time, and so decided to have a look at them again. We got to the first cache, and met the cache owner who was already there. He said how he thought there was a gap in the caches in this residential area, so thought he'd "chuck some out."

The cache owner had done 29 caches. The first cache was next to a lovely valley area, trees, ornamental ponds and a wealth of history associated with it. Did he place it there? did he heck... he placed it under the end of some railings in view of around 15 houses, on a residential street. Did he say anything about the history, the lovely locations nearby? no he did not....

Did the cache pot smell of dog wee? Probably, I'm not getting my nose that close.

He asked for some feedback, and so those of you that know Nobby will know he was only too happy to give it. His response? I'll consider moving it, but not sure.

For us, caching is about the right container for the hide, a good walk, something interesting - why have you brought us here? what are you showing me?

In the "olden days" we used to say that caching somewhere new was like being shown around by a local. These days in most areas it just seems to be about making sure there's yet another damp, smelly 35ml film pot every 528ft.

Is it any wonder many of the camping events stalwarts who seriously cached 5 years ago no longer do so, yet we're all still friends and will still camp together? It's not a coincidnce.... the demise of cache standards has meant that when newbies do a soggy 35ml film pot cache, they think that's what caching is about....

Rant over....

This subject often frustrates me but I don’t think ‘all’ newbies are to blame in fact I think most newbies have enhanced the game and it is wrong to dismiss caching over the last 2/3 years as a degeneration. There are some great trails and a massive amount of quality caches that have been introduced recently and great credit must be given for innovation and placement. Unfortunately with quantity comes an increase in the regularity for ‘poor’ caches although I appreciate that the definition of a ‘poor’ cache will be a never ending debate and will be extremely subjective from one person to the next.

My question is, what can be done about it:

I visited a new cache a few days ago. It was a micro in the corner of an urban car park. There was no reason for it to be there. There was nothing of interest in the listing and nothing of interest in the corner of the car park. Whyyyy… I cried out inwardly. I could think of 20 places off the top of my head within a mile that would be 10 times more interesting. I just can’t understand the thought process that goes through some CO’s minds when they have gone through a reasonable amount of work to place a cache.

However, did I say as much in my log? Of course I didn’t. Did any of the other seasoned cachers that found it say anything in their log. No, of course they didn’t. Did the reviewer say anything when he published i?, of course not and I wouldn’t expect them too.

It must be down to caching education. Unless somebody who feels strongly about it has the time, effort and ability to devise a method of educating prospective CO’s (old and new) in the art of placing new caches I am sure the regularity of these types of caches will increase. We also need to look in the mirror and maybe become more honest in our logs. I would also like Groundspeak to introduce an extra line of education before a cache is published. A mandatory 2 minute info slide/video specifically targeting the quality of a site/placement/area etc. I know this will be ignored on some occasions but it may just help make some CO’s think again.

I know this is the UK forum and the cache I'm linking to isn't in the UK, but this one sums up the elements of a truly great cache for me:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2f8ea7c6-ffde-4408-952f-560e9f8e1c98

A good hike to get to it, amazing views along the way, several possible places to hide the cache but a name that gave enough away that once at GZ there were only so many places it was likely to be, and a reasonable sized container at the end of it all.

So far I'm the first and only finder of this cache, and gave it a favourite point.

I am defending the humble urban cache. I appreciate that I am new to the hobby, but I get a buzz from every cache I find. There is an aspect of fun to be had from urban caches. Maybe it's my inner child still playing James Bond when searching for the hidden cache, I don't know. I am however on a very limited income right now and with the soaring cost of petrol and public transport, I am limited to how far I can travel for my caching. When doing urban caches, do you take the time to look at the place you are in? Does the city / townscape provoke any thoughts? Good architecture can be as pretty to look at as a beautiful sunset, even gritty inner cities can contain beauty. Whilst in the countryside we can happily sit and watch livestock meander past, but when was the last time you took a moment to watch people? They aren't just muggles out to prevent you from finding your cache, but potentially interesting people. Ok so maybe I'm laying it on a bit thick here, but the point I am trying to make is that it is possible to find joy in most things, with urban caches maybe we need to look in a different way.

Is it any wonder many of the camping events stalwarts who seriously cached 5 years ago no longer do so, yet we're all still friends and will still camp together? It's not a coincidnce.... the demise of cache standards has meant that when newbies do a soggy 35ml film pot cache, they think that's what caching is about....

The last part is certainly a potential problem, although it has to be said that if a newby is inspired by a soggy film pot cache so much that they copy it, there must be something about it that you're missing. If I was just starting out and was daft enough to think that a grubby micro in a layby is what caching is about I'd ignore the hobby forthwith.

As for the first part, if someone has been a "serious" cacher then they'd be aware of such things as Favourites, Bookmark Lists and GSAK. It's now very easy to be selective.

There are loads of caches out there that are top quality, mostly placed within the last 5 years. If someone can't be bothered to go and seek them out then it's their own fault if they end up looking for random film pots all the time. In any case, soggy 35ml film pot caches seem to be very rare these days, unlike a few years ago: or is it just that I avoid them easily?

Try loading up into GSAK the caches within range. Sort them so that "favourited" caches are at the top, then filter out the types you don't want. Within a couple of minutes you have a shortlist.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

That is a solution to the how do I filter question. However, sometimes we should consider imparting our experience to the newer cachers.

35mm pots, grubby damp little unsuitable containers, surrounded by litter dog excrement or urine, in a location that has zero merit getting rarer? You need to travel more...oh but then you filter them so don't really know and have the experience to voice an informed opinion.

There is a huge scope for great urban caches taking you to interesting spots in populated areas. Unfortunately they are all too often placed in inappropriate locations either due to lack of experience or the incorrect assumptions that they're helping disabled people be able to find them by having them next to the road...

You need to travel more...oh but then you filter them so don't really know and have the experience to voice an informed opinion.

Travel more? :laughing: Have you checked my profile?

Thing is, if we all get selective and shortlist caches that we're likely to enjoy, those caches get lots of activity (and we enjoy the game more). Those that get no favourites and look likely to be unsuitable for most, might get logged for the first few days but are then ignored and will naturally die off.

Once you have your shortlist you can have a look at the cache descriptions and recent logs. Even if people are reluctant to criticise a cache, you'll spot the signs. Short, badly-written description with typos and poor punctuation - looks to have taken five minutes effort. "TFTC" as the typical log. No indication that there's anything special about the location. Nil favourite points. Not on anyone's bookmark list. Avoid. There are plenty of more promising ones in any area.

Correct me if I am wrong, but all new caches are supposed to be reviewed before being published. Surely the reviewer should act as a kind of quality control. Is there a mechanism in place to ensure the reviewers are only approving quality caches?

Also if certain types of containers are proving to be unreliable due to water damage, surely better guidelines should be published on the Groundspeak website as to what makes a good container and which containers have proven to be a poor choice.

Maybe we need a simple test for all new cache containers like, 'If the sealed container's contents are still dry after the container has spent a week submerged in a bucket of water, then the container is probably going to survive in the wild'.

Correct me if I am wrong, but all new caches are supposed to be reviewed before being published. Surely the reviewer should act as a kind of quality control. Is there a mechanism in place to ensure the reviewers are only approving quality caches?

Also if certain types of containers are proving to be unreliable due to water damage, surely better guidelines should be published on the Groundspeak website as to what makes a good container and which containers have proven to be a poor choice.

Maybe we need a simple test for all new cache containers like, 'If the sealed container's contents are still dry after the container has spent a week submerged in a bucket of water, then the container is probably going to survive in the wild'.

It would be nice in a perfect world if reviewers could know which caches were "quality" ones, but with the information that reviewers get when a report is submitted, it's not possible for the reviewers to gauge which caches will be "quality" ones or not. For example, good spelling and grammar aren't always magic pointers to a good cache. Neither is "not using a 35mm pot", nor is any 'countryside' location. In addition, reviewers get far too many to approve and the filtering of what they might consider non-quality caches would probably take too long.

Also, as you've seen above, what one person considers to be "quality" is certainly not what someone else considers to have the same merit. Many people poo-poo the humble urban cache yet there are many cachers who like them. Who should be the arbitrator of "quality"; it's so subjective as to be impossible to quantify. COs could be at the mercy of the whims of in an individual reviewer who might not like, say (to pick an example out of thin air) any cache placed up a tree, or any cache placed within 500ft or a road... (not saying that any of these have happened, these are just random examples).

So much better to place a cache YOU would like and there will be some cachers who will like it too.

The guidelines do try to cover all eventualities... for example one of the best phrases I remember from them is "If the reason for bringing people to this location is just for the cache, then perhaps somewhere else would be better."

The guidelines do also recommend the "tissue test". Stick a dry tissue in your box. Leave it under a dripping tap for 24 hours. If it's dry after that, your container stands a much better chance of keeping water out long-term. If it isn't then try another container.

The sad fact is that some cachers do not read any of the guidelines before placing their first cache - mind you, they're pretty extensive these days so perhaps it's not surprising that people don't read the lot!

I still feel the best caches are those placed by COs who a) give the placing at least some thought B) hide a cache THEY would like to find and c) have a reason for wanting to bring cachers to this place.

I seriously think that you can't please EVERYONE all the time though, so don't try to place a cache EVERYONE will think is fantastic! It's impossible! <_<

Yes I did that on one of ours on Great Whernside... fully waterproof, it didn't last a week in the wild as the first cachers to find it opened it in the rain and didn't put the lid back on properly.... Next finders logged a NM. :(

There's also the fact that some containers 'breathe', expelling air as they warm up, and sucking in air as they cool down, this can cause them to become damp over time even if they survive the under water test.

There's also the fact that some containers 'breathe', expelling air as they warm up, and sucking in air as they cool down, this can cause them to become damp over time even if they survive the under water test.

There is that; also I've found that some containers aren't entirely waterproof but remain dry all the time. Whereas others are clearly waterproof but the contents are damp. The latter is probably due to cachers getting the cache wet by opening it and allowing rainwater in (as per Maxkim's example). Being waterproof is then a disadvantage as the moisture is locked in.

The former is, I think, because a container will get slightly damp if it's only moderately waterproof but as soon as the weather is dry the damp escapes. My experience is that the best option is a tupperware (lock&lock) box in a nylon camo bag. Although the bag gets wet it protects the box from penetrating rain. And unlike a plastic bag, it all dries out again quickly.

What I'm saying is that it's not easy to guarantee a dry cache. Even an ammo box can get wet inside (and rust).

As for "quality"; no-one has a clue what that is (we've had numerous inconclusive discussions). We can agree that certain cache hides are a bit rubbish, but the other 99% are a matter of opinion.

For us the things that make a great cache are

A good walk

A quick cache and dash

A power trail (lots of simple to find caches 0.1 apart)

A really really hard find

A humorous find

A very clever hide

A nice size cache

An evilly hidden nano

So basically what I am trying to say is anything will do. The reason is that everyone is different and everyone is different on different days. And tatses change as you cache more. I found a cache the other day in Perenporth which was where we were planning to go. Its a premium member cache and we like leaving certain things in premium caches that i cant mention on here. I had thought it was some type of adit/shaft or something. Push our boundaries etc but as it turns out its in a very dodgy location. But the point is that some have done it anyway. So it caters for some but not all.

A cache is like that. Rather than ask what makes a great cache ask yourself how many visits you want. If you don't care and would like to test people do a really hard puzzle cache. Loads of tftc's but nothing else, do a regular size cache in a layby. Somewhere in those extremes you will find your answer but what gets loads of visits and favourites is those that encompass all of the things mentioned by previous posts on this thread. Most of the time - but not always lol. And good luck on your caches.

That sounds pretty good. Some days I'll quite happily go and round up a bunch of micros behind signs, but the day I did Pachydermophobia (the one I linked above) and another one in the same area I drove past at least half a dozen micros on the way back to where I was staying. Normally I'd want to pick off the local caches in case they weren't there by the time I was next over but having done two great caches I couldn't be bothered with micros.