Tablet to GPS

Hi Splashy....I'm just a newby with Android but this quote from the App "Stickmount" that allows the Nexus 7 to use memory sticks and cards confuses me as to whether the Nexus must be rooted.

"Description

Automatically mount and dismount USB sticks on various devices like the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7.

!!! REQUIRES ROOT !!!

Various Nexus and "stock Android" devices do not automatically "mount" mass storage devices (such as USB sticks). StickMount has been made to solve this problem, and give you access to the files on your USB connected storage from all your apps."

Is there another way to use the Nexus with memory sticks and cards than using Stickmount?

Stan

Edited by sktqch

As I tried to explain a couple of times, the solution is, a (micro) SD to OTG to Android will work, all other options maybe yes maybe no and maybe you have to root to make these other devices work, but I never suggested that and even then it might not work, because Android tablets aren't made to drive external devices. Rooted or not.

I've commented before that I copy GPX files and maps to my GPS by connecting it to the USB port on my router. Works fine at home, but doesn't give you a way to do it in the field.

But HyperShop offers a WiFi, battery operated USB hub. A bit pricey, but this seems like a solid, cross-platform solution that doesn't rely on rooting anything. I don't have one though, so I don't know how we'll they work.

Nomadic users (Hi, Walt!) who only have a tablet might find this useful ...

Edited by user13371
...if (Garmin) would just come out with bluetooth or WiFi GPS ... the world would be perfect.

Dunno about "perfect," but I would not be surprised to see Bluetooth file tranfer come to a GPS someday.

On the other hand, the portable WiFi enabled hub I linked connected just about every kind of mass storage device, not just GPS. As you and others have noted, even "supported" USB hosting on Android doesn't really work very well.

So Walt, you gonna buy one? If so, let me know how it works.

Edited by user13371

I've commented before that I copy GPX files and maps to my GPS by connecting it to the USB port on my router. Works fine at home, but doesn't give you a way to do it in the field.

But HyperShop offers a WiFi, battery operated USB hub. A bit pricey, but this seems like a solid, cross-platform solution that doesn't rely on rooting anything. I don't have one though, so I don't know how we'll they work.

Nomadic users (Hi, Walt!) who only have a tablet might find this useful ...

I was looking at those just last night - very interesting.

This is for Samsung Tab 2 7" to Garmin 550.

I could not get the pocket query onto the gps. Turns out that even if you uncheck the 'zip' option on the query request, it comes in a zip file. However if you make the query 500 or less caches, the email will come with the file unzipped. The tablet recognizes the gps no problem but the zip files are useless. I tried an unzip app and it didn't help - the gps still didn't recognize the file.

By reducing the query to 500 or less I just sent the emailed file to the gpx folder on the gps and all is well. I don't know what GC is up to by zipping the files but it had me flummoxed (when was the last time you saw that word) for about 3 hours trying to find the workaround. BTW, even if you reduce the file size, the direct download comes zipped - you have to use the emailed file.

I had to play around with file explorers and unzip apps, they do not all work with zip files.

Perhaps try a different file explorer - ES file explorer worked for me together with ES ZIP Viewer.

The PQ I managed to unzip was downloaded from Groundspeak, not an e-mailed one.