Adding caches manually to eTrex 30

Volanges

I'm used to adding caches to my GPSr manually, on the fly so to speak, if my caching partners have caches saved that I don't. Never had any problem with the Legend, Legend HCx or the 60CSx. Why does my eTrex 30 not recognize that I've entered a cache rather than a random waypoint? What am I doing wrong? It may very well be me but it seems that the more you can do electronically (transfer caches between units) the less you can do manually -- not much good when your caching partners are using older units.

I'm guessing he wants to enter the coordinates and have them display in the Geocache list and not the waypoint list.

That is my guess also. I have not found a way and I doubt that it can be done since geocaches are identified with a unique CacheID and there is no way to enter that manually.

I'm guessing he wants to enter the coordinates and have them display in the Geocache list and not the waypoint list.

That is my guess also. I have not found a way and I doubt that it can be done since geocaches are identified with a unique CacheID and there is no way to enter that manually.

So the more elaborate the unit the less useful it is. Very annoying if you head out on the spur of the moment. For some things I love the 30 but more than once I've come very close to pitching it in the woods and reverting to my Legend.

Exactly. In other units as long as you have the geocache icon it displays in the geocache list and you can record finds. Not so with the eTrex 30.

So, simply by replacing the blue flag with the geocache icon, the unit displays the inputted coordinates as a geocache? I'll have to try that on my 60CSx.