GPS Street pilot color -- good or bad??

Any input on a Garmin color street pilot? This unit will strictly be used for driving in Europe (I have the European Mapsource CD) and will NOT be used for geocaching. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

If I purchase one, it will be used by my wife to help her navigate on roads in our auto. She suddenly expressed a desire for a GPS after watching me easily navigate with my Etrex Legend.

Nice unit.

These came out before the Street Pilot III so the features are not quite as good as the SPIII. It does a nice job with the big screen and color.

I don't belive that they come standars with a memory card unless you can find a package deal.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe that you can auto route with this unit but if that is not a major concern its no problem then.

For the price the Street Pilot Color Map is a good unit to have.

quote:
Originally posted by Capt Prozac:

Any input on a Garmin color street pilot? This unit will strictly be used for driving in Europe (I have the European Mapsource CD) and will NOT be used for geocaching.

It's a nice unit as long as you don't need the auto-routing feature or voice directions of the SP III.

Just one caution - the original SP and Color SP are limited to 50 map sections on a given memory card. This can be a limiting factor if you want to use the larger (64 and 128 MB) memory cards. Better to have several 32 MB cards instead.

I like my ColorMap unit even though it does not have autorouting and voice directions. You can't beat the size of the screen and the color is very easy to interpret while driving. However, I paid zero for it; it was a prize in a sales contest.

If I were to buy a unit for my car today, I would get the SP III without question! The autorouting feature added to the screen size and color would enhance an already outstanding unit. Then again it probably runs about $750 for the unit alone.

The ColorMap unit DOES NOT come with any memory modules and you will want to purchase several of the 32mb or 64mb modules. It DOES have a 50 mapset limitation. You will also need the MAPSOURCE program to create the maps on the memory modules.

FWIW,

BP