Original Can of Beans

KDotBlueDot

I have been asked to write an article on geocaching for our corporate magazine and am hoping someone can help me out. While I have read many articles on geocaching I think mine takes a bit of a different perspective and focuses on the quirkiness and fun of the game we love to play. As such, I want to include an image of the 'original can of beans'.

Does anyone have an image of the original can of beans in the plexiglass display case at a high enough resolution to be printed? I need something at least 5x5 inches (that would be 1500 x 1500 pixels). Ideally the shot would not have any distracting elements in it. Being a clear case I understand it's not easy to get a good pic of them. If you could message me I will send along my info where you can send the picture.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me on this!

Edited by KDotBlueDot

found a can of beans in the last week or so in a cache...I removed it.

Were they good? Hope you put some bacon in them.

just generic Fred Meyers kidney beans....now if it was Bush's Baked BBQ Beans, we might be talking about some better swag!

Edited by lamoracke

Why I seem to understand all of the humors going on in here? dry.gif

Did somebody spill the beans to you?

Those beans are a hot topic. I have the TB on my watch list. They only show up at big events, hopefully I'll get to view them some day and log the TB? :) I'm happy now with a few OCB Trading cards, I use them as swag in nice dry caches. B)

I was just noting that there is no Wikipedia article on the OCB. I was thinking of making an article, but I really do not know enough about its history. It would be great if someone made a new wikipedia article.

LOL...now, thats going to be a drama boat. Anyone can edit it and it will get ugly.

I was just noting that there is no Wikipedia article on the OCB. I was thinking of making an article, but I really do not know enough about its history. It would be great if someone made a new wikipedia article.

LOL...now, thats going to be a drama boat. Anyone can edit it and it will get ugly.

There must be some established facts that everyone can agree upon?

eg.

Placed in the first geocache by Dave

Originaly a "Western Family" can of Black Eyed Peas

Re-discovered in September 2003.

Now a trackable that visites verious geocaching events

Then maybe a short factual, non editorialising, write-up about the copyright issues.

Edited by Andronicus

I wouldn't think it would be notable enough to rate its own article. Why not just a mention within the geocaching article, or make an article over on Cacheopedia? After all, if we don't even have an article for it in our niche wiki, why have one on a global wiki?

Also remember that you need reliable, verifiable sources for information you put on Wikipedia. Simply knowing the information isn't enough to put it on there.

On a side note, I saw the OCB at Geowoodstock X in Sellersburg, IN and along side it was a BONE (possibly a femur) with a travel tag attached to it.... I'm needing to know how to "discover" that one because the code that I have for it tries to activate a new trackable.....in the picture the tag clearly states "copy" on it but I also have some that say "copy" that I guess you're supposed to keep (all the ones I've bought have had them along with the original to place on the trackable). Anyway, anyone know what the heck to do about it or knows how to discover it? I REALLY don't want to activate a new trackable that's NOT mine and if those people that are displaying it around different events knew someone activated their tag....geez....

Can anyone help? To prove I saw it in advance the first 2 numbers are 31.

Thanks in advance for any who can help....

Here are some facts!

1.) The original can of beans from the original stash was really a can of black eye peas.

2.) No one can really prove that this is an item from the original stash! Isn't it funny that no other item from the original stash was found in that hole? You can probably throw a rock in any direction out there and dig an old can up, if you did deep enough.

I dont buy it--the story behind the can, or the chance to view it.

Edited by GeoLobo

Here are some facts!

1.) The original can of beans from the original stash was really a can of black eye peas.

2.) No one can really prove that this is an item from the original stash! Isn't it funny that no other item from the original stash was found in that hole? You can probably throw a rock in any direction out there and dig an old can up, if you did deep enough.

You have a point. When you read the trackable page, it all sounds very fantastical, kind of like when the crusaders would find a relic in Jerusalem. I guess you just have to take it on faith that it is the original can. I, personaly, don't want to ruin everyone's fun, so I will not challange the relice's authenticity.

Here are some facts!

You have a point. When you read the trackable page, it all sounds very fantastical, kind of like when the crusaders would find a relic in Jerusalem. I guess you just have to take it on faith that it is the original can. I, personaly, don't want to ruin everyone's fun, so I will not challange the relice's authenticity.

.... and as with relics some of us couldn't care less about it. It's a rusty peice of junk as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Totem Clan

Here are some facts!

I think its more the fact there is some bad blood between you and the owner of the OCoB. :ph34r:

Now, lets me get out of this thread before the train run over me.

Here are some facts!

There is a video of them being unearthed on site, and Dave Ulmer is present. This comes up high in the results of a Google search of "Original Can of Beans". This video was taken when the Original Stash Plaque was being installed. I have no reason to doubt their authenticity.

Speaking of which, can we just archive Mingo, and have a tribute plaque installed? Thank you in advance. :blink:

I think its more the fact there is some bad blood between you and the owner of the OCoB. :ph34r:

As I understand it, there are quite a few people that have bad blood with the holder of the OCB.

Most everybody, as I understand it.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I am a beliver of the Beans. (Even if they were Peas) And as far as the keeper of the O.C.B. go's they have been a very good friend to me that I met discussing geocaching on the internet. :P The friends list is a nice feature. :D

Here are some facts!

There is a video of them being unearthed on site, and Dave Ulmer is present. This comes up high in the results of a Google search of "Original Can of Beans". This video was taken when the Original Stash Plaque was being installed. I have no reason to doubt their authenticity.

Speaking of which, can we just archive Mingo, and have a tribute plaque installed? Thank you in advance. :blink:

+1 from the Amen corner. :laughing:

Here are some facts!

That is my point. They just happened to have video running, and Dave just happened to be there, and he was able to "immediatly identify it as the original can" (even though it was rusted to unrecognisability). Seems a little fantastical to me. But like I said, I don't want to ruin everyone's fun, so I will not challange the relice's authenticity. And in fact, if I ever have a chance to see it, I will pretend it is 100% undoubtably the original, and tell everyone that. It is more fun that way, and since no one gets hurt, it is a win win.

They just happened to have video running, and Dave just happened to be there, and he was able to "immediatly identify it as the original can" (even though it was rusted to unrecognisability). Seems a little fantastical to me.

OK, I'll bite. Weren't they there to install the tribute plaque? Is it that incredible to believe that they (a) took Dave along to verify the spot and (B) recorded it (and Dave) because they wanted to add a little pomp to the circumstance by recording the groundbreaking?

They just happened to have video running, and Dave just happened to be there, and he was able to "immediatly identify it as the original can" (even though it was rusted to unrecognisability). Seems a little fantastical to me.

OK, I'll bite. Weren't they there to install the tribute plaque? Is it that incredible to believe that they (a) took Dave along to verify the spot and (B) recorded it (and Dave) because they wanted to add a little pomp to the circumstance by recording the groundbreaking?

I have no special knowledge that would suggest it is not the real thing. However, the sceptic in me has a BS alarm going off like crazy. That is all. However, I choose to believe it is the real thing. Like I said, it is more fun that way.

Edited by Andronicus

I have no special knowledge that would suggest it is not the real thing. However, the sceptic in me has a BS alarm going off like crazy. That is all. However, I choose to believe it is the real thing. Like I said, it is more fun that way.

How many times are you going to say that you don't believe it is the real thing, but you chose to believe that it is? I'm confused.:lol:

Thanks all for the replies and messages. I sent Team 360 a message. Hopefully they will have a terrific shot. The OCB is a perfect example of just how strange this game can be, and I am excited to be able to include it in the article.

I'll bet he'll be happy to send it to you for a small fee. :rolleyes:

The subject of this thread was a request for a good photo of this piece of geocaching memorabilia.

It is not a thread about the person who holds this item, or about what cache listing services he chooses to use. Those taking the thread in those directions are forewarned if a similar question reappears in the future.

As the original purpose of the thread has been fulfilled, I am closing this discussion.