Grammar Police

Actually, I will respond before the move:

Spelling and grammar developed over time to assist in the development of good communication, which was found to be an asset to the growth of civilization. In other words... the masses deemed it to be a Good Thing. People that deliberately go against that trend deserve to sometimes be reminded that society has placed a value on consistency of words and the use of them. Those that don't have the ability (English not 1st language, hearing empaired, un-or-under-educated, etc.) should be treated with more tolerance, but grammar and spelling are still things that they can, and should try to learn.

IBTM

I have learned its best to not bother mentioning this to folks in the online world unless its one of my good friends that would appreciate being told they spelled something wrong or used bad grammar. Would never mention it on a log entry though, only their new publications where it would get seen by lots of people. I am sad to see spelling and grammar are going down the toilet in the United States at least.

Actually, I will respond before the move:

Spelling and grammar developed over time to assist in the development of good communication, which was found to be an asset to the growth of civilization. In other words... the masses deemed it to be a Good Thing. People that deliberately go against that trend deserve to sometimes be reminded that society has placed a value on consistency of words and the use of them. Those that don't have the ability (English not 1st language, hearing empaired, un-or-under-educated, etc.) should be treated with more tolerance, but grammar and spelling are still things that they can, and should try to learn.

IBTM

I agree.

Many errors in cache logs and forum posts are unintended typos but many others are lazy shortcuts. I am thankful that teen texting shortcuts have not gained a foothold in cache page logging. The TFTC and TNLNSL cache logs don't bother me though.

EDIT: I agree that language is important but I have never corrected anyone's bad use of it other than occasionally to ask for clarification or tactfully describe how their cache page description could be misinterpreted. If texting conventions start showing up in cache logs that might lead me to develop a tactful way of suggesting that standard American English would gain the writer a bit more respect from fellow cachers.

Edited by Team Sagefox

just curious y some ppl feel the knead to comment on others improper grammer spelling; and ' puncutation useage

a thred gets begun on a cashing topik and some1 pipes in that perhaps theyd git a better answer if they were a better master of dah

english langwij

bogglez da mynd

suh-wheat-pee-three

What?

Hey, I'm ALL for good grammar. I'm a certified court reporter and I come from a long line of English majors, but I don't think this is the place to correct people. One of them I saw was in response to a person asking a question in the Getting Started forums. Poor guy had a question about this great, new hobby he's discovered and instead gets blasted for how he typed up the question. If you can't understand a post, simply say, "I do not understand what you are asking." These online forums (not just on this site) are definitely a way for people to say things they wouldn't otherwise say to a total stranger face to face.

I just think we can be kinder.

Thanks for listening.

just curious y some ppl feel the knead to comment on others improper grammer spelling; and ' puncutation useage

a thred gets begun on a cashing topik and some1 pipes in that perhaps theyd git a better answer if they were a better master of dah

english langwij

bogglez da mynd

suh-wheat-pee-three

What?

Thanks for the laugh!!

english langwij

bogglez da mynd

suh-wheat-pee-three

Here is my take

When people use a posters bad spelling or grammer to try to win an argument, that just shows how lame their own argument was.

If someone is honestly trying to help you with your grammer, as the second post in this thread suggested, that is a good thing, however I haven't seen that very often.

People who just enjoy nitpicing other people's spelling etc. need to get a life.

However, a poster should always make an effort to get things right. The grammar and punctuation in your OP is so bad, that your point is partly lost. Although I was able to get the general idea of your post, I really don't know what you are trying to say. You really should make an effort to use correct punctuation. It appears that you have consiously rejected the notion of english norms. When I was in highschool, I had some bad English teachers. I have thoughts like that "why is all this stuff even important". However, over time, I learned that in order to properly communicate my thoughts, grammer and punctuation are important.

Unfortunatly, God blessed me with poor spelling skills. And the computer that I am currently using does not have a spell checker addon for the web browser. Hopefully the spelling of this post is not too bad.

Edit: After reading the rest of the thread, I see that my Psychoanalysis of your first post is not quite accuriate. It seems that this is an issue of lamos nitpicking a noob. Boo on that person.

Edited by Andronicus
Actually, my experience is that people for whom English is a second (or third, or...) language try to use it correctly. (One friend has specifically asked me to correct his English usage if I notice a mistake.) And that includes a few deaf people I've known, who grew up using ASL and then learned English later.

The "kewl" online slang is often more difficult for these folks to understand than for native speakers. And I know a few blind people that sometimes struggle with "leet" (aka "1337") because braille characters generally look nothing like print characters. Although sometimes they can figure it out based on their experience with OCR errors from scanned print documents.

But I digress...

For me, improper use of the language is a sign of our downfall as a society. Pure laziness and the "me,me,me" attitude.. I suspect most of the folks that use TXT speak are part of the 49% of the nation (US) that take government handouts.

I sure hope you are just trying to get a reaction or being sarcastic, because I find the last sentence here way almost ludicrous to suggest. In my experience, if I had to make a guess, its the younger generation who is not getting the grammar or spelling correct relatively speaking that often because they use auto-correct too much and have grown up with text messages so they do not think its as necessary. I imagine language evolves over time, but personally I do not like the way its heading.

For me, improper use of the language is a sign of our downfall as a society. Pure laziness and the "me,me,me" attitude.. I suspect most of the folks that use TXT speak are part of the 49% of the nation (US) that take government handouts.

I sure hope you are just trying to get a reaction or being sarcastic, because I find the last sentence here way almost ludicrous to suggest. In my experience, if I had to make a guess, its the younger generation who is not getting the grammar or spelling correct relatively speaking that often because they use auto-correct too much and have grown up with text messages so they do not think its as necessary. I imagine language evolves over time, but personally I do not like the way its heading.

Yeah, I was a bit heavy handed and overly political. Here's a modified statement..

For me, improper use of the language is a sign of pure laziness, which is another symptom of what's wrong with our society, in my opinion.

Maybe those people are trying to help you.

Some people want to improve, and actually welcome corrections.

It's pretty easy to tell which posters are trying to be helpful and which ones are trying to be superior.

Oh, the irony! :rolleyes:

The little jabs from you are getting old. If you have an issue with me, take it to PM or get over it.

Edited by sbell111

It is a power thing. If I can't counter what you say, I will pick on how you say it.

Possibly. :unsure:

Sometimes... <_<

I certainly don't remember getting any gold stars for grammar or speeling when I was in school, but for some reason they just seem to jump out and poke me in the eye when I see them. Could be in here, could be a cache listing or a log for one. Sometimes (actually plenty of times) it's in paperwork at work.

Sometimes it's because people are typing really fast and don't have time to check for correctness.

I can accept a few mis-typed characters.

Sometimes it's a heterograph (to, too, two). Can't you at least read over what you typed before hitting 'send'?

Too many mistakes tends to distract from the actual intended message.

Grammar and spelling have evolved to remove the need to try to decipher the meaning of what was written, so we can deal with the actual content.

Berating someone for these issues is probably not necessary, but a side comment is not entirely un-warranted if the grammar or speeling are making it difficult to understand the meaning.

english langwij

bogglez da mynd

suh-wheat-pee-three

Need, not knead

english langwij

bogglez da mynd

suh-wheat-pee-three

Defensiveness much?

whats even worse is when people write sentences with no punctuation at all and then expect other people to read it and offer helpful replies i wonder if all our tax dollars are wasted if people go to school for free for 12 years and still cant write properly or maybe they know how to write properly but are too lazy either way they need to be corrected its a dirty job but someone has to do it

:D

english langwij

bogglez da mynd

suh-wheat-pee-three

Need, not knead

Lmbo! Thanks! I appreciate you pointing out which homophone I'm to really use. :P

english langwij

bogglez da mynd

suh-wheat-pee-three

Defensiveness much?

Nope. Just think we can be nicer to newbies (and anyone) asking questions rather than correcting their grammar like they were our own children.

However, over time, I learned that in order to properly communicate my thoughts, grammer and punctuation are important.

"Let's eat Grandpa!!"

vs.

"Let's eat, Grandpa!!"

Punctuation. It could save a life.

I LOVE that one, though I heard it as Grandma who got eaten. :blink:

I notice the really poor grammar and I consider commenting but I realize my flaws so I try to shut-the-poop up. I think it is great to encourage comments from all the players that come from "where ever" but are enthusiastic about the game. Please tolerate our short-comings.

AMEN! This is my point exactly. Tolarance, that's all I was asking for. :wub:

Thanks for the entertainment, my cache-y people!

Sweetpea3

However, over time, I learned that in order to properly communicate my thoughts, grammer and punctuation are important.

"Let's eat Grandpa!!"

vs.

"Let's eat, Grandpa!!"

Punctuation. It could save a life.

OT (and showing my age): This reminded me of the guy who thought his typewritter was pregnant because it missed a period.

That would be "tolerance", Sweatpea. :lol:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Oh my gosh!! Yes, yes. What YOU said. And my husband used to call me Sweatpea. Hmmmm.

There's good ol' Muphry's Law again. You can't get away from it, even if you use a "typewritter" :lol:

I understand if they didn't do well in school, like me, but seeing so many misspelled words in one posting (or thread) means what? They didn't go to school at all? Then how did they learn to use a computer? They must have their spell check "off". My problem is sometimes I know what I want to type but my brain thinks too fast and skip typing words. Even when I read it before posting I don't always catch it so if you see my "edit" at the bottom of the post is more often I caught the mistake too late.

I've also seen it on cache pages. Usually kids or adults using their ipads or iphones to create the cache page while at the site. That's why I wait til I'm at home and try to look over the cache page over and over to make corrections.

For me typing does not come naturally. I focus my attention on the keyboard, not the screen. I know, Its not the correct way to type, but it's what I do. When a post has serious spelling or grammar errors, one invairably makes assumptions as to the intellectual characteristics of the poster. I want to ensure I am not thought to be a person of low education or intellect, therefore I re-ready my posts. I come here to have intellectual discourse, and want to ensure my postings are received as such. I appreciate when a poster mentions that English is not their primary language. I make allowances, as I hope they would do for me were I to post in a non native language.

For me typing does not come naturally. I focus my attention on the keyboard, not the screen. I know, Its not the correct way to type, but it's what I do. When a post has serious spelling or grammar errors, one invairably makes assumptions as to the intellectual characteristics of the poster. I want to ensure I am not thought to be a person of low education or intellect, therefore I re-ready my posts. I come here to have intellectual discourse, and want to ensure my postings are received as such. I appreciate when a poster mentions that English is not their primary language. I make allowances, as I hope they would do for me were I to post in a non native language.

"therefore I re-ready my posts."

<snicker!!>> :P Sorry, I'm just laughing because it is inevitable to make mistakes in a thread such as this one.

That would be "tolerance", Sweatpea. :lol:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Oh my gosh!! Yes, yes. What YOU said. And my husband used to call me Sweatpea. Hmmmm.

There's good ol' Muphry's Law again. You can't get away from it, even if you use a "typewritter" :lol:

That's why I stay away from this thread. :blink:

"therefore I re-ready my posts."

<snicker!!>> :P Sorry, I'm just laughing because it is inevitable to make mistakes in a thread such as this one.

That's exactly correct. I re ready them to ensure they are ready for publication. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!!! :laughing: