Making a Popular Cache?

Gizzygo

I just wanted to know if there were a way to make a popular geocache. I hid one and it is my favorite out of the two that I have hidden but it never seems to be found. Maybe every 3 days, whereas my other cache gets found almost every day. I just wanted to know if there were a way to make a nice popular cache. Thanks for the help!

Did you read the note about the last cache you placed? Right now it will be okay when we found it, well except the camera, but as the rains start coming it will be more difficult to cross over to get it. Plus did you notice the graffitti? That shows it is more popular to muggles and they may find it.

I just wanted to know if there were a way to make a popular geocache. I hid one and it is my favorite out of the two that I have hidden but it never seems to be found. Maybe every 3 days, whereas my other cache gets found almost every day. I just wanted to know if there were a way to make a nice popular cache. Thanks for the help!

Once every three days is not bad. Your most recent cache, the Grumpy Old Troll, is newer and it will get more attention for awhile.

A lot of factors go into popularity - location, type of cache, difficulty of hide, title, description. I have one cache that is headed towards its 3000th find. It is placed near a heavily visited tourist area and is doing exactly what I wanted it to do -- giving people a chance to get a little bit out of the tourist hustle and find a cache. As a result it gets a fair number of finds. I have other caches that might not be found for two or three years, but they include some of my favorites. There are different ways to measure popularity and the number of finds may be the least important way.

My advice is not to worry about popularity. Place caches you would like to find and those who find them will appreciate them as well. If you are concerned about the number of finds, then think about what makes the cache visited more often than the other. But really, they are both so new that it is hard to judge how it will turn out in the long run.

Edited by geodarts

And the first one you did, that spot had 2 or 3 other caches get archived quickly because they didn't get permission to place it there. HOAs don't usually give any so remember when it says No Trespassing/ Private Property, it means it, even if you live in that community.

Best way is to look at the caches in the area that have a lot of Favorite points to get some idea what cachers feel are Great caches.

Once every three days is not bad. Your most recent cache, the Grumpy Old Troll, is newer and it will get more attention for awhile.

A lot of factors go into popularity - location, type of cache, difficulty of hide, title, description. I have one cache that is headed towards its 3000th find. It is placed near a heavily visited tourist area and is doing exactly what I wanted it to do -- giving people a chance to get a little bit out of the tourist hustle and find a cache. As a result it gets a fair number of finds. I have other caches that might not be found for two or three years, but they include some of my favorites.

My advice is not to worry about popularity. Place caches you would like to find and those who find them will appreciate them as well. But if you are concerned about the number of finds, then think about what makes your first cache visited more often than your second.

Like she said. I have one in San Francisco in a small park. Simple cache in a park with some sculptures. But tourists who come love to explore. I have another one that is on the way to Bolinas, now that is just a guardrail cache, but it has a beautiful view of Bolinas and the ocean.

My most frequently found cache is on a popular beach. Traditionals will be found more often than multis.

However just because they're found more often, doesn't mean the logs are interesting++

If I put alot of effort into a cache, I wouldn't want to put it on a popular beach for fear or it getting muggled. Deep in the forest is the best place for a cache like that, IMHO.

If you're wanting more favorite points, glue a fake frog to the lid. :P

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I don't think we have any caches here locally that can see a find at minimum every 3 days.

As others have mentioned, quality finds are better finds. Frequency isn't everything. It just means it's feeding the quick park & grab crowd.

If you mean popular as in number and frequency of finds then, based on our experience around here, it would have to be a park and grab in a busy area like a light post cover in a parking lot. Not too exciting and you're not ever likely to get a favorite point for one of those but you might get the numbers.

But If you mean popular as in a good quality, well thought-out cache in a great area that would gain some favorite points then you should consider getting some more experience searching for caches (I see you only have 23 finds as of now and already 3 hides) and seeing what others are doing that are drawing cachers to find them. As you start logging more finds, other cachers in your area will recognize your name and may be interested to see what you have hidden. If it's something fun and different they may be more likely to seek out other caches that you hide in the future. When we see one of our favorite cache hiders has a new listing we head right out to find it. If we know it's someone who only hides LPCs (ligh post covers) or GRs (guard rails) we don't bother to look for it until a time when we would be in the area anyway.

Another limitation might be where you live and the number of cachers in your area. My dad is a cacher but where he lives there are only a couple of other active cachers. And because it's in a rural area there also aren't many people travelling from out of town to cache. So there aren't many people around to get high find numbers. He has hidden 26 caches and some get visited only once every few months.

My BEST caches that get the MOST favorites only get finds a few times a year. Most cachers nowadays are lazy and don't care about the long and arduous hikes.

Perhaps you need to define popular.. (or maybe you did). If you want lots of finds, hide an 1/1 urban micro near an on-ramp of the interstate. If you want favorites, focus on design, location, and hide, equally, and don't worry about find count.

I just wanted to know if there were a way to make a popular geocache.

Just focus on making good caches that you're proud of and would enjoy finding yourself. Popularity is over rated.

That is essentially what I was going to say, too. A cache that gets found frequently is often NOT the highest quality cache. Go for best, not most popular, if you want to know what I think.

I don't think we have any caches here locally that can see a find at minimum every 3 days.

As others have mentioned, quality finds are better finds. Frequency isn't everything. It just means it's feeding the quick park & grab crowd.

Strangely enough, my two most popular caches are a webcam, only available six month out of the year. And a letterbox hybrid. My stats are for number of days available divided by number of finds. Letterbox hybrid is 5.4. Webcam is 7.1.

Or course, I have a number of evil mysery caches, and caches with long hikes... Hnn... Four finds in two years!

I have a cache that has only been found by 6 cachers in the last 6 monthes. All of those were done by groups of 2 cachers each time so that only 3 visits. However it has 5 favorite points so far. As others have said popular doesn't have to mean visited often.

Put out a run of several micros that are easy to find. Large numbers will flock to that. <_<

It depends on the kind of popular you want. If you want a lot of finds, place a hide a key on the back of a dumpster behind a 7-Eleven.

If you want a cache that receives good number of favorites and one that people will go out of their way to find (although the actual number of finds may be low), place your cache in a place that people would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there, and use a good quality container.

It depends on the kind of popular you want. If you want a lot of finds, place a hide a key on the back of a dumpster behind a 7-Eleven.

If you want a cache that receives good number of favorites and one that people will go out of their way to find (although the actual number of finds may be low), place your cache in a place that people would enjoy visiting even if the cache wasn't there, and use a good quality container.

Whenever I see something like this where someone has a desire to do something that is "popular" I think of beer.

The top 5 most popular (n terms of sales) beers in the U.S. are:

Bud Light

Budweiser

Coors Light

Miller Light

Natural Light

However, if you look at beer connoisseur sites, where people rate beer on how it actually tastes the list is quite different:

RateBeer.com

1. Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

2. Founders CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

3. Bells Hopslam

4. Russian River Pliny the Younger

5. Cigar City Pilot Series Passionfruit and Dragonfruit Berliner Weisse

BeerAdvocate.com

1. Pliney the Younger (American Double / Imperial IPA )

2. Heady Topper (American Double / Imperial IPA )

3. Founders CBS Imperial Stout (American Double / Imperial Stout )

4. Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord (Russian Imperial Stout)

5. Pliney the Elder (American Double / Imperial IPA)

In other words, Popular does not necessarily equal best.

Whenever I see something like this where someone has a desire to do something that is "popular" I think of beer.

Bud Light

Budweiser

Coors Light

Miller Light

Natural Light

However, if you look at beer connoisseur sites, where people rate beer on how it actually tastes the list is quite different:

RateBeer.com

3. Bells Hopslam

BeerAdvocate.com

Looks to me like the connoisseurs can't agree what's good :laughing: I'll stick w/ my Bud Light.

Bud Light

Budweiser

Coors Light

Miller Light

Natural Light

RateBeer.com

3. Bells Hopslam

BeerAdvocate.com

Looks to me like the connoisseurs can't agree what's good :laughing: I'll stick w/ my Bud Light.

They do, however tend to agree on what's not good. The beeradvocate site gives and average rating of 59 out of 100 ((Poor) while the ratebeer site gives a average score of zero. Here's what one reviewer said about Budweiser in his comments:

"Hints of vomit, Musty basement, sour sink sponge, moth balls, battery acid, with a nice urine finish"

Bud Light

Budweiser

Coors Light

Miller Light

Natural Light

RateBeer.com

3. Bells Hopslam

BeerAdvocate.com

They do, however tend to agree on what's not good. The beeradvocate site gives and average rating of 59 out of 100 ((Poor) while the ratebeer site gives a average score of zero. Here's what one reviewer said about Budweiser in his comments:

"Hints of vomit, Musty basement, sour sink sponge, moth balls, battery acid, with a nice urine finish"

Oh yah. Back in my college days, a good night of beer connoisseuring always ended with a nice urine finish. :lol: